“Great Service in an OK hotel”

Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The staff here is top of the line. The facilities could use some updating. Always request an upstairs room to avoid noise from above. Well stocked breakfast room. The fully equipped kitchen is a great feature. I had no trouble with the WiFi but I was only using the public computers in the lobby.

Room Tip: Always reserve an upstairs room and be sure to stay in the middle of the hotel to avoid road noise
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
SanMateoGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

.Good day,
I want to thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that my Staff delivered service up to your expectations. I will pass along this note to my staff. Again thank you very much for choosing our Hotel as your Home away from Home. If there is anything else I can assist you with please feel free to contact me

Francisco Cruz
sanmateogm@ih-corp.com
650-574-4700 Ext.400

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo

Reviewed 26 July 2013

I stayed here May 2013 and left a rather nice review. That short trip I had one of the larger rooms and didn't spend much time here to really experience that property. I've now stayed here the past 3 weeks (my company forces us to stay here for the corp rate) and have a better understanding of how terrible this place is. First off, the staff are wonderful - nothing bad to say about them at all.

This being said... Hot water here is often in short supply, I've taken more than 1 cold shower and even worse, shaven with cold water. Wifi consistently goes offline, I'm writing this on my verizon connection because the wifi is currently out. When I mentioned with the front desk, they're fully aware of the wifi issues.

My room this week (614) smells like urine. The upstairs floors are paper thin and I have a stomper upstairs that has kept me up late all week. I've had rooms with burnt out bulbs (one currently this week), porch light is burnt out, carpet stained (probably the urine from previous guests).

This is an abandoned car in the parking lot not too far from the office. Tags expired 2 years ago, spider webs over the tires and connecting to the fenders so it's obvious it's been there for some time. What sort of place would let that stay there??

I've stayed in some great Marriotts and some pretty low end Marriotts. This is in worse shape than most fairfield inn's and about as nice as a Motel 6 I can only assume.

We are doing our best to get our company to change to another hotel, us field employees hate coming to San Mateo because of this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hilton Garden Inn down the street.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
SanMateoGM, Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear Ron M,

I would like to extend a sincere, personal apology that our hotel did not meet your expectations. Our guests' comfort is a top priority for us, and I am so sorry that this was compromised during your recent stay. Your comments regarding the lack of hot water and cleanliness are of particular concern to us; and just this week we have launched a preventative maintenance program for our water heaters to ensure your experience is not repeated. Our engineering team has also addressed the lighting concerns you mentioned in room 614, and will also be inspecting your previous rooms for similar issues. I cannot thank you enough for providing such valuable feedback, and assisting with our constant pursuit of improvement.

While I completely understand your concern about returning to our hotel, I do hope we have the opportunity to remedy your initial impression. Should you be returning to the San Mateo area in the future, please contact the hotel directly at (650) 574 - 4700 so that we can personally see to your accommodations.

Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Check in was great - the lady who handled both check in and check out was as nice as could be and I found the staff in the dining room to be pleasant as well. I felt very welcomed. This Residence Inn is an older facility. Because it is older you have to take your bags up steps if you are in a second floor room but I was offered help (turned it down). The bathroom counter is very, very low (this reveals the age of the hotel) and it is a shame they didn’t raise the height to something more comfortable during the remodel. I was concerned about the possibility of noise but I heard none - that may have been because I was on the second floor. I also wish Residence Inns had king size beds as a queen just isn't as comfortable for us. The evening reception was average - nothing exciting but nothing disappointing either. Breakfast was decent enough and I had no complaints but I wish Residence Inns offered a bold coffee as the coffee was very weak. I would stay here again - primarily based on the staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hugo H, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear Guest,

I want to THANK YOU for taking the time to post a review of your experience here at our Residence Inn by Marriott San Francisco Airport/San Mateo. We appreciate your kind words and will make sure to inform our Front Desk and F&B associates of the great job they are doing.

We appreciate your business and we hope to see you in a near future!

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Do to being relocated to California from Texas can be very challenging especially when it comes to finding a new home. My wife and I have found a great place to stay for an extended period with most the comforts of home. The 4 people we feel that have contributed the most to our comfort, not to mention all the great housekeeping ladies are Raeann, James, Faviola, and Maria who always makes us feel welcome. In my opinion these people are most excellent on accommodating any thing you might think of. They best represent the highest standards in excellence making our stay at Marriott Residence Inn deserve 4 stars. Thank you for all that you do!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Hugo H, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear Guest,

I want to THANK YOU for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay and our staff here at our Residence Inn by Marriott San Mateo!

Our staff takes great pride in the work they do and I will make sure to share your kind comments with them. It is our pleasure to be of service to you and we value your business.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I stayed for July 3, when I came back to my room and tried to take a bath it ran out of hot water, and when I called the reception, they told me I have to wait a little. From 12am I waited until 3 am, warm water came but not long enough to fill the bath, not even to take a shower. And when I left the 4th and reconfirming for the 5th July, they told me they had the reservation, there were no problem, but when I arrived at the Residence Inn, they simply cancelled my reservation, and said it wasn't in their system, they were fully booked and it was Expedia's fault. But Expedian got their confirmation, And I checked also. After all the calls between Expedia, the Residence Inn, I end up at 2am, in the street looking for a place to stay

Stayed: July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your experience here at our Residence Inn by Marriott San Mateo. I am truly sorry to hear about your experience at my property.

If possible at your earliest convenient would you send me an e-mail to sanmateogm@ih-corp.com to discuss further your experience.

General Manager.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

Think of it as a temporary apartment. Decent.

Not the easiest to and from the highway, but after two days, I got the hang of it...showing up late at night on the first night was frustrating even with a GPS.

Breakfast was decent average. Basic is more accurate.
Manager specials at night were at best, fast food type...

The staff was great. Had a decent washer & dryer facility.

Hint, don't get a room near the basket ball court, the court is surrounded by the 4plex buildings, so the sound came right in....

Nearby food, shopping and entertainment.

Room Tip: Get a room not facing or near the basket ball court...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Hugo H, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Dear Guest,

I want to take this opportunity to THANK YOU for posting a review regarding your two week visit here at our Residence Inn by Marriott San Mateo. We appreciate your business and we are glad our property was able to accommodate your needs.

Hope you see you in a near future!

General Manager.

Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed here our first night in SFO. Not far from airport. Had a "penthouse" suite. These are set up more like several condos. We had an upper floor on one which had a loft with bed & bath and then the living area had a Murphy bed, a sofa bed and another full bath. It was great when having kids that don't like sleeping together. Everyone had own bed. Receptionist was very friendly and helpful. Target just around the corner for needed items. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed: June 2013
Hugo H, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Dear Guest,

I want to THANK YOU for taking the time to post a review about your visit at our Residence Inn by Marriott San Francisco Airport / San Mateo. I’m very glad that the penthouse was a perfect fit for your family and that the room was up to standards.

Once again thank you for your comment and we hope to see you in a near future.

Best Regards,

Courtyard San Mateo Foster City
Best Western Coyote Point Inn
Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO
Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo

Been to Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo? Share your experiences!