“What Possesses Hotel Staff?”

Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Granite Bay, California
“What Possesses Hotel Staff?”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

How can a thinking person check in a group with a multitude of small children (six by latest count) and place them on an upper floor. Between them and the barking dog last night we were wakened at 3:30, 5:00, and 6:15 A.M. Usually we find this hotel quiet and convenient, but this trip has been singularly unpleasant. Even when we are not sleeping the thumping and bumping above us is unpleasant. They brought a basketball back from the recreation area. Maybe the better question is why do so many parents refuse to teach their children common courtesy for the people around them? Residence Inn, we are very disappointed in your facility this trip.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ground floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
SanMateoGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Good day Patricia,

I want to apologize for the huge inconvenience you encountered upon your arrival at the Residence Inn San Mateo Property. After a long day of travel, the only thing one wants to do is relax and unwind. As a valued Guest we strive to give you the most positive and reassuring environment. I know this was not the case on your recent stay here with us.Unfortunately, we made a mistake, and I am deeply sorry. This resulted in you not being able to get a good nites rest and not be able to truly enjoy your stay. I know first impressions are everything and the first impression you received from us was a horrible one. Nothing I can say or do can change the past or your dissatisfaction with our hotel. If you could be so kind to reach out to me so we can discuss this matter further I would greatly appreciate it. If there is anything else I can assist you with please feel free to contact me.

650-574-4700 Ext.400

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bangalore
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I recommend most people to opt for rentals when travelling in US. Not only it is the cheapest and best way to travel, it makes easier to opt for hotels like Residence Inn over the usual bets. Residence Inns are usually in the outskirts of the city and a rental cars helps in connectivity.

This Residence Inn is quite close to the airport and is about a 30min drive away from SFO. It provides you kind of a studio apartment with a well appointed kitchen and Popcorn on the house. Spacious clean rooms, play area, cottage style stays and a peaceful environment. Apart from being reasonably priced, you also get free parking and yummy breakfast.

Loved my stay for 3 days and would stay again during my next visit.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
SanMateoGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Good day Mr. Agarwal,
Thank you very much for choosing our hotel as your home away from home. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that everything was up to your expectations. If there is anythign I can assist you with please feel free to contact me.

Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This hotel is a typical Marriott Residence Inn. It is clean and quite even though it is close to the freeway. Very predictable. However, the decor is beginning to look dated. Nevertheless, it was a good stay. The entrance to the hotel is a bit odd if you arrive at night as we did. The driveway is long and dark. Once one you turn the corner, you see the lobby entrance to the left. There isn't much parking but more is around the next corner.
The attendant was friendly and processed us quickly. Our room was not too far in a separate building from the lobby. The pathway was not lit up well - a bit dark.
The room is large with an equally huge TV. But it is oddly placed if one is lying in bed. It was positioned for the couch. The bed was comfortable as well as the pillows. The kitchenette had a granite counter top and overall was fine. I used the electrical outlets in the kitchenette to charge all the electronics. The room was like a studio apartment. The bathroom sink area is open to the bedroom.
Breakfast was the standard fare one gets at a mid-range hotel.

If you are a Costco fan, it is down the road. If you like Target, it is not far but on the other side of the freeway.

The hotel is not far from SFO airport and has very easy Freeway access whether one is going south to San Jose, across the bay, or going downtown San Francisco.

If you are a backpacker, the one drawback of this Residence Inn is that it is not walking distance to a "downtown" or public transportation. However, with a car, a fairly good choice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Good day,
First of thank you very much for taking the time and filling out a comment about your recent stay here with us, it will help us a long way to improve on the items that you found not to be up to Marriott standard. I am glad to hear that your encounter with my staff was great one and I will look into addressing the issue's that need to be fixed. Once aagain thank you for choosing our hotel as your hoem away from home and if there is anything I can assist you with, please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I like this place a lot due to a great location , close to the airport , no bridge tolls , and little traffic hiding south in the morning .

You get a complete kitchen , , nice breakfast ,etc and the help is very nice .

I had a laundry problem which they dealt with promptly .

This is not a hotel . But I will return again and recommend it .

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Good day Mike,
Thank you very much for you choosing our Hotel as your home away from home, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay here with us and that you will be returning in the future. I would also like to thank you for taking the time and writting a survey about your stay with us this is the only way we can improve or continue our great service that guest come and expect from us. If there is anything I can assist you with please feel free to contact me.

Queen Creek, Arizona
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This hotel is located about 10 minutes south of San Francisco airport, in sort of a industrial park/wooded setting. Our room was next to a highway but we never heard any noise. The staff was excellent and very friendly and suggested a great place to eat (BJ's bar and grill). The hotel has a OK free breakfast in the morning. I will be staying here the next time I visit the San Francisco are!..Great job staff..keep it up!!

Room Tip: We had a room next to a highway and it was quiet, so I think all room locations are good.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
SanMateoGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Good day,
First of I wanted to thank you for taking the time and writting a response about your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that you all enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you got to take advantage of the ammenities we have to offer. I would also like to apologize for placing you next to a highway, again thank you so much for choosing our hotel as your home away from home and hope to see you on your next visit. If there is anything I can assist you with, please feel free to contact me.

650-574-4700 Ext.401
Petaluma, CA
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Located about 10 minutes South of SFO next to CA92 at the west end of the San Mateo Bridge. Convenient on/off highway location without being on the highway. Configured like a town home cluster with walkways, ivy and plantings throughout. Room has a nice small kitchen with breakfast bar. Living room has a TV, work desk and fireplace. WiFi worked well and free breakfast was good with both hot and cold dishes. San Mateo and Burlingame have some excellent restaurants and the hotel is also a few minutes from shopping and a Mall. I stayed here in the 1990's and it has been upgraded nicely since then. We stayed here on New Year's Eve and it was nicely quite!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dennyinsf
SanMateoGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Good Day,
I want to thank you for taking the time a writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am also glad to hear that you choose our Hotel as your home away from home and that everything was to your satifasction and you got to experience and enjoy every single ammenitie we offer. I hope your future travels bring you back to our Hotel. Once again thank you so much for staying with us and if there is anything I can assist you with please feel free to contact me.

Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We have several relatives in the Bay Area so this serves as a central location for us when we are staying over south of San Francisco. At first, it seems difficult to find as it is surrounded by apartments and freeway overpasses and approaches but it turns out, once you figure out the location, that it is quite close to the west and east bound ramps to the freeway to the East Bay and to cities on the west side like San Mateo and San Francisco. The hotel is actually located in Foster City and not directly in San Mateo, but it is not far from many restaurants and shopping centers.

Our downstairs room seemed to have a bit more noise than the upstairs units we usually reserve, but it was tolerable and not prolonged. The front desk staff was very helpful and the staff taking care of the breakfast buffet were also very good. The room was very clean and everything from the television to the internet worked well.

We have also stayed at the Courtyard, about a mile further into Foster City, but the Res Inn is much more practical if you need the refrigerator and stove. This appears to be one of the older model Residence Inns which has been upgraded in the interior and it looked just fine.

If you stay here, make sure you have a good street map of Foster City/San Mateo or program your GPS to locate the hotel and sites you wish to visit. It will come in very handy late in the evening or when you are tied up in rush hour traffic when all the tech-com businesses close down for the day.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms may be a bit quieter, but we had no serious sound problems in the first floor unit.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
SanMateoGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Good day,
First of I hope you and your Family had a great Holiday Season. I would also like to thank you for taking the time and writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that our Hotel worked out great for you and that you got to enjoy all of the ammenities we have to offer. I am sure our readers will be pleased with the detail information you provided for them in regards to our hotel and sorrounding areas. I hope your next visit to our area brings you back to our property and if there is anything I can assist you with please feel free to contact me.

650-574-4700 Ext. 400
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Mateo
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Best Western Coyote Point Inn
Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO
Courtyard San Mateo Foster City
Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo

Been to Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo? Share your experiences!