“Great Pet Friendly location”

Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Very nice motel with large enough rooms for our family and small dog. Hard to find a pet friendly location but this was perfect with a lot of walking area between buildings. Plenty of parking near units. The motel is right off Hwy 101 so good access but still a drive into the city. Pretty simple drive into downtown San Mateo for restaurants etc. Good continental breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Arturo S, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

Thank you for the nice review. We're glad you enjoyed the space, the breakfast, and the stay overall. We look forward to seeing you again next time you find yourself in the area.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I are living in the Netherlands, Europe. We have been traveling a lot in the United States for more than 20 years. We have been staying in the Residence Inn San Mateo several times. It is ideal located for exploring SFO, the coast (Half Moon Bay, Pacifica, Rockaway Beach), the Skyline Boulevard, Big Basin Redwoods State Park, San Jose (Winchester Mystery House, Mission Santa Clara de Asis), Mount Diablo State Park, Sanford University (Palo Alto), and so on. The suites are also beautiful redecorated and fully equipped. Breakfast is complimentary as well as evening social hours (Monday-Wednesday). We like the Residence Inn formula – we have been staying in many of them -, this one is a very good choice!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Arturo S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you very much for the great review and thank you for traveling with Marriott for the last 20 years. We're glad you enjoyed the location, the rooms, and the breakfast. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in the area. Have a great rest of the year and thanks again!

Safe travels to you and your family.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights during a visit to my son's family. This is a very nice Residence Inn with great furnishings. We ate breakfast there on 2 mornings and they had a wide variety of choices. We used the pool one day and it was not crowded at all. I was concerned about it being on Highway 92 but there was no issue with traffic noise. The only issue was a slow Internet speed, which is typical in many hotels. We will stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Arturo S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for the very nice review, Nebraska Fan!

Yes, the 92 isn't very loud at all. I've worked at several other properties next to highways and this one is by far the quitest, by comparison. I'm glad you enjoyed the variety at breakfast and the pool as well. It's tough to sit in my office sometimes, looking outside at clear blue water in the pool - but I'm glad our guests get to enjoy it : )

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you next time you visit your son's family.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

(this is cut & pasted from my personal review on Expedia, so forgive me for not retyping) Booked the hotel based on previous reviews... was very satisfied with my selection. Only 10 miles south of SFO, the hotel is in a complex of hotels and businesses (PlayStation was nearby) and quick to get to off 101. Stayed in a queen/sleeper sofa room for 2 nights (had my aunt and cousin crash one night) and there was plenty of room for all of us. Only little hiccup was the overflowing toilet when we returned to the room on Friday, but maintenance was there in a hurry to fix the issue. The breakfast buffet is great (chocolate chips for the waffle batter! woo!) and lounging by the pool was really nice. The hotel offers grocery delivery, which is a great option for those staying there long-term. I'd definitely stay again when I'm in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Arturo S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for the very pleasant review. Cut and Paste is good for us - as long it's good for you - especially for a nice review!

Sorry to hear about the hiccup but thank you for mentioning the fact maintenance fixed the issue quickly. I'm glad you were able to sleep comfortably and enjoyed the breakfast as well. All of a sudden I have a hankering for chocolate chip waffles --- for dinner!

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Last year I stayed at the nearby Fairfield Inn. When booking a trip this year, I noticed the Residence was priced the same. I figured Residence is a better quality hotel so I booked it.

Check in: The woman at the desk had her kids with her. She was trying to keep them calmed down while she checked me in. Later, another staffer had difficulty applying a gift card to my room balance.

I went to my room and there were no slip covers on the sofa. To their credit, staff were knocking at my door within 5 minutes to replace those, without prompting from me.

The property is laid out with 20 or so low rise buildings, I probably would have booked elsewhere had I known that. Room was otherwise clean and in good repair. One complaint is that the bathroom light is on a motion detection timer. Apparently it needs to be more sensitive because it kept switching off while I was shaving.

Overall, not the worst place I've stayed, but I'll look for another option next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Phillygwm
Arturo S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to submit this review. Though "mediocre" is not our goal, it indeed serves as an area of opportunity for us. I understand the layout not being a positive in your eyes. Quite honestly, like many things, some guests like it, but some prefer interior corridors - and it's completely understandable. I'm sorry about your check-in experience and the bathroom lighting as well. We will be discussing these items in our next manager meeting.
Again, I'm sorry we didn't score better than "mediocre" but perhaps we'll have a chance another time to improve that score. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Spent one night there. I arrived rather late from the airport and struggling with a luggage that has just lost a wheel. Obviously tired. There was no one at the reception but a manager appeared in a while. Checked me in then said he will show me to my room which is "a short walk away" as it is not in the same building. I thought he will help me with my luggage as I have 3 bags with me. Obviously that was not to be expected. He lead the way walking slightly in front of me into the dark. He watched as I struggled with the luggages. We went out into the dark - the pavement was uneven, and dimly lit. He stayed probably about 3 steps ahead. Finally we arrived at the room. Open the room and the colour of the room - red was quite disturbing. Furniture in the room were old.

Anyway, too tired to argue, I just told him ok. After he left, first thing I did was to go to the toilet. Toilet cover was down - I lifted it and lo and behold - strands of LONG DARK HAIR floating in the toilet. This is really the last straw for me. Never to return!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank POHMH

I am very sorry this stay was not to your satisfaction and I completely understand your frustration. I will be sharing this with our management staff and front desk staff, as we hold ourselves to higher standards of service. Should you find yourself in the area and would like to give us a second chance, I hope you will contact me directly and I will ensure we find a way to redeem ourselves. Thank you for taking the time to submit this feedback, and again, you have my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was expecting the worst as the combination of close to the highway and San Francisco airport was not giving a great feeling. The hotel was booked by work so I was prepared to just grunt my teeth for 2 nights. Well I did not have to worry.
The Inn is really easy to find, just off the motorway, there is plenty of parking and it is 15/20 mins from SFO.
First of all the staff was super friendly and efficient at check in. So after many hours flying that was a relief. The second surprise was the room and the setting. Has the building are arranged like little houses and only have one floor it is very cosy and personal. The rooms are set up like studio flats with a nice kitchen and a living room type area. I have to say very welcoming and you don't get the filling of a hotel room. The room /flat is big and the fact you have a sleeping, kitchen and lounge type area makes it really comfortable,
Best of all the rates are great hence why my company picked it and it was a wise choice.

Room Tip: Try to be near reception and further away from the motorway