“Cheap but Great sushi”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
burlingame
“Cheap but Great sushi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012

Wonderful sushi and sashimi that melt in your mouth. Cheap for the great quality. Lambada roll is my favorite. Large roll selection. I come here at least once a week.

Ambiance could be improved. I would give it five stars if the restaurant owners worked on remodeling the place. Good place to go if you want to watch a football game over sushi - they have TVs everywhere.

• Visited December 2012

Fort Worth, Texas
“Will return again. Probably during this trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

I was actually going further down the street to eat, when I looked in the window. Something called to me as I passed. I turned around. I was not disappointed!

Fabulous service! Staff attentive and pleasant. Decor asian.

I felt very comfortable sitting alone at a two top (table for two) at the front of the restaurant. As soon as I sat down, a salad, miso soup, and green tea were served. I thought they had the wrong table. I was assured this was not the case.

A menu for dinner, and a separate one for sushi. What a selection! Not overwhelming, though. (Soda comes in cans at $1.75. Therefore, no refills.)

I ordered the Salmon Paradise. DELISH! Sometimes when I eat sushi, I feel full, but know in a matter of hours, I will be hungry again. Not this time. Must be due to the fresh ingredients.

I was not rushed, but I was looked after. In fact, they thanked me for waiting for my food. Huh?

I did not go upstairs, but where I was, it was very roomy! I have a rough time hearing (especially with high ceilings and a lot of talk.) I was able to hear the servers consistently. Rather unsual for me......

I was able to watch orders being delivered. I wanted to ask for a bite of many, before they went to their table!

I will return!! Probably during my stay here!

• Visited March 2012
Hilo, HI
“Great Japanese food over and above sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

Being from Hawaii which has an abundance of over-priced, small-portioned Japanese restaurants, imagine our surprise at finding a great one in San Mateo! Son used his iPhone to decide between two Japanese restaurants within walking distance of each other. Joy Sushi had 4/5 stars (one more than the other). Going in the entry door, the place looked dark, small and cramped, but we were quickly whisked up to the 2nd mezzanine type floor which holds a deceptively large number of tables. Sushi menu had photos and the regular menu was packed with everything imaginable - donburi, udon, yosenabe, tempura. The waiter quickly brought up steaming bowls of miso soup (with a generous amount of seaweed), a small iceberg salad and hot green tea. Nearly all of us selected combination bento boxes and the food came fairly quickly. Tempura was light, not oily or overly breaded (comes with combo), sashimi was thick and of high quality, teri salmon was also generous and nicely seasoned - all for <$14 a person. Chicken katsu was kind of dry; tonkatsu (pork) was juicier. The sushi didn't last long enough for me to taste or see. Waitress came to refill tea a number of times. It's noisy with a young crowd - only thing elegant was the waitress - but the portions, selection and prices are great. We left really, really happy.

• Visited June 2011
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2009

good food

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The rolls here are very...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

The rolls here are very good, very fresh, and the portions are good. But I don't understand why so many are so blown away by this place. It's good but not great!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook