“good quality stay”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in San Pablo
Olney, Illinois
“good quality stay”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights on July 3-5 for visiting San Francisco. Easily accessible to the Richmond and El Cerrito del Norte Bart stations. The hotel is right off Interstate 80. The room was nice and quiet and beds were comfortable. Would stay here again

Room Tip: try and stay away from interstate
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank chuckie_css

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Great Falls, Montana
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Our stay started off great, Eden at the front desk was very pleasant. The room was also nice. The only problem we had was most of the other staff did whatever they wanted. They were not very friendly the other front desk people were on their personal phones a lot. Also a front desk employee was on a personal call on the business line. I provably wouldn't have complained but one thing really made me upset. I realized breakfast was about to close so I ran down stairs and started to grab some breakfast and the staff started reaching around me and the other guest to turn machines off. All the guest were like umm what in the world is going on. One guest was pouring juice and the lady shut the machine off. My wife was getting ready to hit the pancake machine button but they swooped around her and shut the machine off. Not kidding it was bizarre! They should have been like sorry guys were shutting down in 5 minutes and I would have been fine with that but they were crazy rude!!!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Pablo, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Al G,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the service you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Adrian, Michigan
Reviewed 28 June 2014

HI Expresses are generally solid choices for hotels and this one was no exception. You don't get lavish accommodations or many frills but who can afford that under normal circumstances in the budget-busting Bay area where prices on hotels can border on what can be fairly described as appalling at times.

This particular location happened to be near where my business was on this trip, thus making it a very good option. I flew into SFO and the Super Shuttle, which was not ideal but at least not overpriced ($60 without tip), was the best way to get to the hotel without renting a vehicle. The one thing I will note was that the exact place where this hotel was situated was not obvious. My shuttle driver had to do a once-around the strip plaza parking lot to figure out that the hotel was hidden and off to the side behind the Ross store. And I could easily understand his confusion. While one could see the HI Express sign upon pulling off the highway, where one had to turn once in the strip plaza parking lot was not at all clear. They need to put up a simple sign directing patrons to take a right at the little drive between the Jack-in-the-Box and the end of the strip plaza (Ross store) after pulling into the parking lot off San Pablo Dam Rd.

I was checked in very quickly and very efficiently and made my way to my room within a couple of minutes of my arrival. The room was spacious and clean. The amenities worked well throughout my stay including the WiFi. The A/C took a little trial and error to adjust to my liking but that's not unusual. The bed was comfortable and allowed me a good night's sleep. The selection of TV channels was particularly good making the background noise I chose to employ while working at my desk in the evening quite enjoyable.

The location for this hotel was very convenient from the standpoint that there were several shops and a variety of restaurants within easy walking distance. I made a ten-minute or so walk to a terrific Thai restaurant for dinner and then stopped by a Starbucks three or four minutes away from the hotel for a coffee before returning to my room. Breakfast in the morning appeared adequate and what I would expect from an HI Express. However, all of the hotels in that market segment (HI Express, Hampton, Fairfield, etc.) tend to offer scaled down quality and selection and this was no exception. They are also carb-laden which was not good for me at the moment. However, the nice aspect to this was the fact that there was a Denny's across the street which, while not elegant, fit the bill for me.

I was able to get my checkout extended for an hour or so in the morning which helped me a great deal given my schedule (normal checkout is a little early at 11 AM). Checkout also went very efficiently and I enjoyed a short chat with the pleasant young lady working the front desk while waiting for my ride.

I would normally characterize the room rate for this HI Express as excessive but given the prices I was seeing for other hotels in the area, it was actually a reasonable bargain by comparison. It appears to me that there is room for additional hotel development in this region in order to tilt the supply/demand curve to a more reasonable level.

Overall, if you're happy with a simpler choice in hotels, this HI Express is a reasonably good option.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Debbie K
Oakland, California
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I choose this hotel because it wwas closer than the Marriott and my wedding venue was minutes awat, Upon arrival I was helped by the front desk clerk Janet....Janet was really great and assisted me with a concern I had regarding a mix up on the reservations she went aabove and beyond & straightend out the mix up and accommodated us accordingly, The rooms were very nice and clean, nice continental breakfast.

Thank you Janet!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ashlee J
Hayward, California, Usa
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stay at the Holiday Inn Express in San Pablo about three or four times a year. It is convient for late night at our Elks Lodge when we don't wan to travel the 30+ miles home to Hayward. At times the "seasonal rates" can be rough but we just can't innore the convience.
The rooms are always clean and equiped with what we need especially the fridge for keeping left overs cold. I have never had a complaint about a staff member and always find them pleasent and helpful. We sometimes bring family and friends from out of town and have never had a problem making whatever special arrangements we need.
The breakfast is just about the best I have ever found in a hotel. Great eggs, sausage and biscuits. I did not have but noted the "instant pancakes" available.
And as usual check out was a breeze.

Room Tip: Pick a low number to avoid being on the freeway side. However, I have never noted freeway or road n...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Robert O
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This is a really good hotel if you dont want to stay in san francisco. No parking fee, really good breakfeast, lots of choice. Some day it could be hard to find a place beacause there is a lot of person but go when it is not the rush. It cost 6 $ to go on the bridge to san francisco in the peek periode or 4$ when it is pass 10:00 am.
The hotel was really clean.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank windfl0wer4576
Kingsburg, CA
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed for just one night while travelling through the East Bay area. The hotel is tucked behind a semi-seedy shopping center anchored by a Ross store. However, once you get back to the hotel, it's pretty nice. The room was good sized and everything worked fine. It was quiet and the breakfast was good. Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Days Inn Pinole Berkeley
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
Holiday Inn Express Berkeley

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Pablo? Share your experiences!