“Slow service, but worth the wait”

Royal Thai Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 240 Restaurants in San Rafael
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Royal Thai is a nice place, quiet, with a lovely décor. On the night that I went, they were paying far too much attention to the take-out crowd and not enough to the in-house diners. That being said, once the food did arrive, it was great! I would go back again, but will be prepared to wait a bit before getting served.

1  Thank cwcharacters

Reviewed 5 November 2013

This place is right off the freeway and so is very handy, but finding the parking lot is almost impossible - there are so many one way streets in the vicinity. I parked on the street and made my way inside, it is a lovely spot, there is a courtyard outside the restaurant, and inside it is decorated beautifully. The Thai iced tea is to die for, I could drink those all day long. We had the green papaya salad, which was delicious and prepared to the spiciness we asked for, and then the duck entree and a noodle dish. The entrees were pretty good, but nothing fabulous, it is standard Thai fare. Prices are as expected in the Bay Area - lunch entrees are about $10. Service is attentive.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

The Tom Kagai Soup was excellent and so were the rest of our dishes. Quality ingredients, nice presentation, great flavors. Don't hesitate to try new choces.
You can specify how spicy you like your food.
The menu has a wide variety of choices including exotic ingredients.
Our helpful waitress was wearing a Thai dress and the atmosphere was very pleasiing.
Parking was easy even on a Friday evening.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

This is good Thai food. It is reliable and clean and exotic and delicious and sure, I burn my tongue sometimes because I am a Thai food newbie, but I love the flavors. We usually get take out. The building is adorable but I always feel a little uncomfortable in the parking underneath the freeway. The food is great! Try it!

Reviewed 26 January 2013

We have lived in central Marin for 20 years, and during that all that time Royal Thai always had the reputation as the best Thai in the county. We had never eaten there, however, as we were devotees of Orchid Thai in San Anselmo. Orchid is now closed, and we were seeking a new favorite, so gave Royal a try. We won't be back. On arrival, we waited a bit to be seated, and were then ignored completely (no menus, no water, no acknowledgment of our existence) for about 15 - 20 minutes. Once having ordered, our starters came out reasonably promptly, but it was literally a 50 minute wait from the time we finished the appetizers before our main dishes arrived--without a single check-in from our waitperson. In the end, I do have to say the food was pretty good, but the entire experience was a 2 hour descent into hell. I would normally give the restaurant a break for having a bad night, but I noticed on Yelp that this type of experience has been all too common in the last six months.