“We checked in and then checked out!”

China Camp State Park
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Rafael
China Camp State Park
“We checked in and then checked out!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Frustrated we paid half of our stay fee even though we left. The campgrounds were hornet and bee infested and the food pantry was filled with mouse poop.

The water stations were bee infested and the trashes were obviously not dumped.

The hosts were more interested in their cockers than the guests and had limited hours open with extensive directions for 'self-check in'.

We immediately left and checked into a KOA camp ground where people actually cared.

Was very disappointed with the location, the lack of staffing at the ranger stations and camp ground conditions.

Would NOT recommend!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Mattsbabycake
Martin L, Executive Director at China Camp State Park, responded to this review, 25 January 2017
Thank you for the review of your camping experience at China Camp State Park.

We now have yellow jacket traps throughout the campground. We have volunteer carpenters working to tighten the food lockers so that critters cannot enter them.

Our more recent campground hosts have been courteous and attentive.

We hope that you will visit us again soon and that your next experience in China Camp will be a more enjoyable one.

Friends of China Camp
Operator of China Camp State Park

Solo
Business
Petaluma, California
Reviewed 10 May 2013

China Camp used to be a Chinese Community Shrimping area but now there is a small museum there a picnic area and lots of trails to hike and bike on.

The area features good views of the bay and a wealth of local wildlife. There is street parking and a few small parking lots. Most days there are not a lot of people but Holiday weekends and days with great weather it can get busy and parking can be a bit more of a challenge.

Make sure to bring plenty of water and some snacks.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank K_Chan40
Sacramento
Reviewed 25 May 2010

First and foremost, the campground here is NOT a car camp site. You park in a main lot and then lug all your gear to your site. I didn't realize that when I made the reservation for me and my three little ones. However, the very friendly campground hosts had several residential wheeled street garbage containers that you can use to load your gear in and wheel to your site. VERY helpful as some sites can be quite a walk (sites 9 and 10 are wayyyyy back). I made about 6 or 7 trips each for loading and unloading. Yeah, the kids brought a lot of stuff!

At the entrance is a sign warning of poison oak. It shows a drawing and gives good information. Right next to the sign are several live poison oak plants. So pay attention and have your kids take note as well so they will recognize it when they see it.

There are two separate campground "loops". 1-15 are the lower sites, while 15-30 are up on a hill. A couple of the upper sites have a view of San Pablo Bay. I think maybe site 25 or 26. Hauling those garbage cans up the hill can be daunting, so take note!

As for wildlife, we were woken early each morning (like 5:30 am) by the cackling of the wild turkeys. As much as I hate waking up that early, it was cool to be surrounded by the wildlife. The kids got a kick out of seeing the turkeys. Deer came through the campground frequently.

A WORD OF WARNING about the raccoons. While we were eating hot dogs one evening, a very bold raccoon walked right up to our table. If we had done nothing, I'm sure he would have jumped right up, grabbed a hot dog, a bun, some catsup, and asked for a beer, too. This raccoon would look you in the eye and pat the ground in front of him with a paw as if to say, "throw me some food right here". Kids will think it's the cutest thing and may be inclined to feed him like he was the family dog, but you need to send this raccoon on his way quickly. Looked like he lived in one of the trees in the lower campground.

Since there are no bears here, the food lockers are not very secure, nor are they large enough to accommodate coolers. I was able to fill them with paper grocery bags filled with our stuff. The absolute best security against wildlife is to bring your own lock for the lockers. I think the raccoons can defeat the food locker's built-in security. I ended up lugging our cooler out to the car at night and back again in the mornings or anytime we were going to leave the site.

We were in campsite #9, just past the showers. Next time I'd grab something not on the well traveled path. Since we were there on a weekday, there was only ONE other camper at the campground. There were cyclists and runners who used the lower campground as a main thoroughfare to the trails. Because I had three little kids running around my site, the bicyclists took note and slowed as they passed. They were friendly enough, but buyer beware when you're hiking the trails.

The lower campsite is fairly well insulated by trees. It was raining lightly when we first arrived, but the campground was dry. You won't be shielded from the wind, tho, and it was quite windy during our stay. The bathrooms and showers (coin-op) were very clean and friendly. I've come to expect that from my state park camping experiences.

The China Camp historical village was cool, but so much more could be done to make it truly a historical site. It looked like workers were in the process of restoring it. There are picnic tables there as well. The beach there is very rocky, and was full of jellyfish that had been left behind by the tide. The kids enjoyed that.

Overall, I really enjoyed this camping experience. We used it more as a base of operations to set out and see sites around the bay area. We visited the SF Zoo one day, and Fort Baker the next. Considering how close the Park is to civilization, it has an amazingly isolated feel to it. I'd definitely return, but will be better armed to enjoy the experience more.

16 Thank pfreeze
Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County
Best Western Corte Madera Inn
Best Western Corte Madera Inn
#1 of 3 in Corte Madera

Been to China Camp State Park? Share your experiences!