“A hidden gem”

Whipper Snapper
Ranked #25 of 247 Restaurants in San Rafael
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed 31 May 2013

This low profile restaurant in a nondescript part of San Rafael is a real "find." Casual indoor and outdoor seating and friendly service make the overall dining experience very inviting. But it's the food that makes it special. Great fish tacos, jerk chicken, ceviche and other tempting offerings make the menu choice very difficult. Not a special occasion spot, but definitely worth a try!

Reviewed 25 April 2013

I've known about the Whipper Snapper since it opened in 2008, but never went here. But after having dinner here a week ago, I'm like "dude, why'd you wait so long?" Much better than expected, and huge portions, too. I had the slow-roasted pork special and my wife had the pasta special, and both were outstanding - full of flavor with just the right balance of spices, and great sides. And though we were stuffed I just had to try the bread pudding; again, a superior offering.

I talked with the chef/owner on the way out, and complimented him on his excellent culinary skills. We will be back, and it definitely will be sooner than five years.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

Bought a Groupon for this restaurant as I was in town. It was a dreary nite & not many people so a little skeptical, but we were definitely turned around. Fish Tacos, Jerk Chicken, Chicken Skewers, Bread Pudding. EACH of these dishes was fantastic. Great service & attention to details. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

The food here is good, I'd recommend the fish tacos and guacamole. The decor is nice but the room can be loud. The prices are also a bit steep for Mexican.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

I can hardly wait to go to Whipper Snapper and will probably order mussels in season AGAIN. They were so good and so many! The scene at night is pretty busy, conversations and sangria!; live music on the weekends. We went for lunch and enjoyed the space /time to really look at the delightful sculptures while waiting for our menu selections. My friend had his "best ever" Cuban dish of tender pork with black beans & corn. Reading the menu is a treat in itself!