“Good and pleasant”

Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Terrapin Crossroads is a healthy down-home all-American eatery, taproom & lounge. We provide a comfortable, family-friendly environment, that merges music with food. We pride ourselves on our fresh, unique beer selection and a delicious and approachable menu. Terrapin Crossroads is a restaurant that celebrates the arts; and our kitchen staff showcases their passion for the culinary arts each day. We believe that our menu exhibits their passion through its creative, fresh and exciting choices. We love what we do, and every day we relish watching the joy people find in the surroundings here. Terrapin Crossroads will also host ongoing shows where Phil will invite his musician friends – both young and old – to play along with him in his various bands - Phil Lesh & Friends, West Coast Rambles, the Fellowship and the Terrapin All Stars.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The food is okay but not world class. Layout is nice. If seated at the bar you may find the TVs too small for sporting events.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a great place for all ages. The food is surprisingly good, but the main attraction is that it is just a really enjoyable place to be. The Sunday brunch is terrific, especially if the Lesh Family Band is playing. We used to hang out at Sam's but this is a big step up in every respect. You can dine on the deck overlooking the canal, but then you miss all the fun inside.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Our party of seven sat in the back patio, which is large, pleasant, and on the water. My espresso was the best I've had outside of Italy. Unfortunately, our Mother's Day buffet was hit and miss. We were invited by the waitress to go to the buffet, but when we returned, we still had no silverware, so I went to the nearby station and grabbed service for seven. While the food in the buffet looked appetizing, it varied from lukewarm to dead cold. I found some things, such as the smoked salmon puffs to be delicious, while others, such as cold breakfast sausage, to be off-putting.
The dessert table contained numerous offerings, but only one was labeled. I found raw dough in the pastries. The chocolate and peanut butter squares were quite delicious, but other items, such as a flat cake that looked like something you'd find at the bottom of a strawberry shortcake, were not.
Two observations: Mother's Day is when a healthy restaurant should be filled, and the eatery was half-full at best. Many of those patrons will be there for the first time, so in order to bring them back, they should be impressed with both the service and the food. None of us were impressed. Cold buffet food and spotty service kills business. What I saw on Mother's Day cries out for professional help and direction.
That said, Terrapin Station has the potential to be a top-notch restaurant; it has the ambiance, the location, and some of the food showed the promise of better culinary skills than were on display during our visit. Their prices were fair, and I'd like to visit again to sample their menu offerings.
I'm a bass player, and I hope that Phil succeeds; his vision for this establishment is superb. But it will be difficult to rely on special events alone to carry the staff payroll and expenses. The poor standards I saw on display Mother's Day are incompatible with a successful restaurant, and I sincerely hope the management is either replaced or seeks professional help to get its act together.
I gave a four star based upon that hope, along with my impression that, along with the superb ambiance, there was a fine restaurant bubbling beneath the surface. Let's hope that Terrapin Station become successful and long-lived.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

This is the place to go for top-notch music in San Rafael. Very reasonably priced menu and good beer and wine selection.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

A few nights ago, I went to see Darkstar Orchestra and have dinner at Terrapin Crossroads. I had a fantastic time. This is a large two story restaurant/bar with a relatively small music hall attached. There were approx. 300 people in the hall and we were able to stand a few feet from the stage. I was told that this restaurant is owned by Phil and Jill Lesh. Phil was the bass player for the Grateful Dead and this venue is sort of dedicated to that band. The food was excellent. We had drinks in the bar area and dinner outside on the patio. We all loved the food which is generous and reasonably priced. The friendly atmosphere and courtesy of the staff was unlike what I have seen at other venues. After the Darkstar concert, we went into the bar area and watched another fantastic band play. Great food, amazing music and very friendly people in a wonderful atmosphere. This is an experience I highly recommend.