“Excellence spells "Il Davide"”

Il Davide Restaurant
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 3rd and 4th
San Francisco, California
“Excellence spells "Il Davide"”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I have been to many Italian restaurants these days, and this is another good one to come across.

First dinner i ever had in San Rafael, and nothing but absolutely impressive.
I had the house special, always fish for me of course, and it was splendid. The closest taste of excellency compares to this dish was the Ashton restaurant, Bangkok Thailand.
Everything looks delicious on the menu, no thumps down there. However, they are a bit pricey.

The atmosphere is again, Itlainny warm. You can situate yourself right at their tiny bar when you enter. The bar space was not the jewel of this restaurant anyway, it is the FOOD!! I was informed they have one of the greatest chef there, my friend's opinions. Either way, the chef did an excellent job!!

I recommend this restaurant for all, especially those who live in the city and might want some change. There are some nice places in San Rafael to discover for sure.

• Visited April 2013

california
“Good Food and Service”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Had not been to Davids for a while, and decided to try it again. This is a very popular spot, so make sure you make a reservation. There were three of us and we all ordered something different. The salads were very good and very generous. Served cold and crisp and not over dressed. The Risotto with seafood was full of fish and very good. The stuffed chicken was also very good. The order of the ravioli combination was served barely warm, and extremely salty. Six Ravioli was the portion. at $18 it was way overpriced.
We will go back again, but I don't think we will become "regulars".

• Visited March 2013
Tiburon, California
“great restaurant, good value”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We have gone to Il Davide many, many times. The food has always been excellent. The people who check you in are either the owner, his son or his daughter. It doesn"t matter who is there because they are all efficient and extremely pleasant. The restaurant is always busy so you need to make a reservation. Besides the check staff being fabulous the wait staff is also outstanding. I personally love the way they fix their calamari steak.

Visited January 2013
“Great food!”
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Nice visit to Il Davide. The veal piccata seemed a bit over-seasoned with a too creamy sauce, but after the first bite I was hooked. Loved the carpaccio. Terrific vanilla ice cream. My only complaint was that no one was familiar with the Italian aperitif, the americano. Good service.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank traveler1111
Novato
“Great place for Italian in San Rafael”
Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

I have dined here many times over the last few years and can always expect a good meal. Our last visit was a celebration for my mother in laws birthday, which falls on a Monday, the one day this restaurant is closed. We went on a Sunday to celebrate and made a reservation on line through Open Table. We all ordered a different entree, shared the calamari and tuna carpaccio as an appetizer and two different salads. The calamari was very good, crisp and very tender, with two different dipping sauces. The spinach salad was also very good, but with all the delicious components, the only thing that didn't work well was the hard cooked egg. My friends veal dish was a bit on the tough side, but tender veal is hard to find in many Marin restaurants and only a couple of places manage to serve it well. Our veges were all slightly over cooked and in need of seasoning, but overall a good meal. They did remember the birthday and brought a piece of almond cake over with a candle, but after spending over $300 for the four of us, I was surprised to see it on our bill along with the tiramisu that we actually "ordered" from the server. None of us really cared for the "birthday" almond cake and found it dry. We always enjoy the atmosphere in this popular San Rafael restaurant and look forward to a return visit.