“Rissotto not Rissoto, should have been called Arozz con Lobster”

Il Davide Restaurant
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 3rd and 4th
Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

IL David is a nice Italian restaurant in downtown San Rafael. The service is good and the atmosphere nice. The selections of the pastas are not your regular Italian fair more like creative Californian Cuisine. But there is a large menu to choose from. There are appetizers, main courses , pastas, seafood, meats and chicken dishes . They are all very creative and medium to high price (but not city prices).

I was a little shocked when my lobster Rissoto came to the table. it looked liked a pile of overcooked rice with lobster and shrimp, sun dried tomatoes, and a garnish of arugula. Don't get me wrong the flavors were great (shrimp should not have been there though) and quite delicious. But this dish was in no way Risssoto. It should have been called Arroz con Lobster . For all of you that are Rissoto dye hards...stay away from this selection on the menu.
And whoever the Chef is he is not Italian or his Grandmother is rolling over in her grave with his execution of a classic italian dish.

1  Thank TropicalTommy11

Reviewed 30 May 2013

Always consistent food. Service is professional. Full bar and decent wine list. Great place to go before or after the movies at the wonderfully redone Rafael Theater. Good place for lunch.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

My wife and I have been here several times and we've always had great food. For the pasta dishes, I especially like the Pappardelle ai Tre Funghi and the Orechiette alla Davide. For the meat dishes, the Short Ribs and the Agnello Brasato (lamb shank) are out of this world.

On a warm evening, it's great to dine at one of the sidewalk tables.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

The food was excellent! I had the lamb chop salad (3 lollipop lamb chops on a big plate of mixed greens). My lunch partner had the linguini agli scampi (shrimp) which he raved about. If only I lived in San Rafael I would go here often. Excellent service also.

Reviewed 6 April 2013

I have been to many Italian restaurants these days, and this is another good one to come across.

First dinner i ever had in San Rafael, and nothing but absolutely impressive.
I had the house special, always fish for me of course, and it was splendid. The closest taste of excellency compares to this dish was the Ashton restaurant, Bangkok Thailand.
Everything looks delicious on the menu, no thumps down there. However, they are a bit pricey.

The atmosphere is again, Itlainny warm. You can situate yourself right at their tiny bar when you enter. The bar space was not the jewel of this restaurant anyway, it is the FOOD!! I was informed they have one of the greatest chef there, my friend's opinions. Either way, the chef did an excellent job!!

I recommend this restaurant for all, especially those who live in the city and might want some change. There are some nice places in San Rafael to discover for sure.