“il davide”

Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 3rd and 4th
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The restaurant is wonderful, and the people who work there reaaly care about the service that they give. Many times we have been there and even though we did not have a reservation we did not have to wait long. Of course weekends are different. Neither my wife nor I have ever had a bad meal there, I would rate it at the top of our list in San Rafael.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

My fiance and I frequent Il Davide since we moved to San Rafael last year. Great food, service and wine in a relaxed yet sometimes upbeat atmosphere is the reason why we keep coming back. Its hard to beat Il Davide in the surrounding area.

Must trys:
Scallop appetizer, Burrata, Torte di Porro, Angus filet, Orrechette Davide

Happy dining!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

By far one of my favorite restaurants in San Rafael.
Great food, great staff, good wine...
The lay of the land is hard to navigate, but the food brings me back every time!

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Arrived 8p-ish mid-week as single diner. Bar was packed, which meant navigating through the crowd to the unmanned host stand. Bartender leaned over after a moment or two to advise someone would be over to assist shortly. Had to dance with a waiter trying to get from kitchen to dining area as this is a busy corridor. Owner finally popped up, apologized for delay and had me promptly seated in the lower level main dining area. We bypassed several smaller tables and he finally gestured at a table set for four ... right next to an exit.

Sat reviewing menu for at least 10 minutes. Made eye contact with several waiters with no acknowledgement. The waiter handling all the other tables around me advised that my waiter would be with me shortly. Water and bread finally provided. Linen covering bread had stains, so left the bread untouched. Waiter seemed to either be "in-training" or just plain inexperienced.

Appetizer of Bruschetta di Zucca @ $9 was overwhelmed with zucca (butternut squash) so that none of the other flavors could come through. House-made pasta @ $17 (Orechiette alla Davide:
whole egg orechiette, ground Niman veal & Parma prosciutto, brandy, tarragon tomato cream ragu) was good, but even better as leftover lunch the next day as the tarragon had a chance to infuse with the ragu more fully. Dessert was served on a large block of frozen salt which made the item entirely too salty to enjoy.

Overall, disappointed with this visit.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

After reading the reviews here, I really wonder if I ate at the same restaurant. After walking by this place for years, a friend and I finally decided to go and so we made a reservation for Friday evening. From the start it was a chaotic experience. When you enter the restaurant you are immediately in the bar area. The place was very busy (which I usually take as a good sign). It was unclear if the people standing around were bar patrons or waiting for tables. It turns out most of them were waiting for tables. We eventually figured out there was a hostess station further in beyond the bar and finally made our way to it. We stood there for at least 5-6 minutes before anyone acknowledged us, and that was one of the waitresses trying to squeeze past us. The place was utter chaos. The own/er/host was running around doing a dozen different things and no one was greeting the guests. Eventually he came up to us and told us it would be another 10 minutes or so.

Clearly the restaurant was busy - it was prime time Friday evening. And there seemed to be plenty of help running around. But again, it was utter chaos. No one seemed to managing or coordinating anything and people are bumping into one another left and right. We eventually got seated by the owner (25 minutes after we arrived). He told us he would give us a complementary appetizer to make up for the wait, which was very thoughtful, albeit unnecessary (please note that we never complained or made any comments about the wait time).

Shortly after we were seated the server came over and told us that a complementary order or calamari was on it's way to us. Unfortunately neither my friend nor I like calamari. You think they would have asked us first?!? So they swapped that out for another appetizer of our choice, which was the beef carpaccio. But the waitress was so stressed and running around that she ran off to place our appetizer order and never asked us about drinks (we've now been in the restaurant about 35 minutes total).

We eventually got drinks and appetizers straightened out. The carpaccio was very disappointing. It was flavorless and sliced so thin that it was basically mush. Thank God it was complementary otherwise we probably would have sent it back. As it was we only ate about half of it between the two if us.

The bread that was served was also extremely disappointing - tasted like they ran around the corner to Safeway and got a leftover loaf. It was not warm and was flavorless and a bit stale. The served it was a plate of oil and balsamic vinegar, but there was so much vinegar it was almost inedible.

The server came back and told us about the specials, all of which sounded very good. The menu had a nice selection of salads, pastas, meat, and so we order one special (Chilean Sea Bass with Polenta) and one item from the regular menu (Veal). The entrees were both nice, decent meals, perhaps a bit under-seasoned, but nothing all that special. Prices are reasonable.

We also order dessert - chocolate budino cake and butterscotch pot de creme, both of which were good, perhaps the highlight of the evening.

We were then appalled to see when we got out bill that we had been charged to the "complementary" appetizer! When we brought it to the server's attention she was very apologetic and promptly corrected it, so all was good.

The restaurant decor is very outdated - feels very 80s.

Overall a very disappointing evening. The biggest problem is the mismanagement of the place - totally disorganized, chaotic, and noisy. This made the entire experience very stressful and not enjoyable in the least. The food was adequate, but nothing special enough to warrant going back for. I definitely will not be back and do not recommend the place whatsoever. Sad that Marin still can't get it's culinary act together.