“Better than expected”

North Bay San Rafael
North Bay San Rafael
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I was worried about booking this motel after reading the reviews. Especially the statements about not honoring reservations. However, the price was right...

We arrived early (about 3:00 PM) because of review statements that had been made and we were already in the area visiting relatives.. I figured the earlier the better. We didn't have any problems, and got a very nice king room.

The room was fairly clean (a few crumbs in hard to reach areas with the vacuum), however the top sheet on our bed had stains that we were unsure of. I checked the sheets with a portable black light and didn't find anything we had to worry about. The bedspread was a bit thread-bare, and should have been replaced at least a year ago.

Dish TV service was a plus! Although this motel is located right next to the freeway, once the door was closed and the A/C unit was turned on we didn't hear any traffic noise. The bathroom was nicely done in what appeared to be granite or marble tile.

We would absolutely stay here again....

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brian H

Reviewed 22 May 2013

The website and photos are completely false. The hotel is not located by water or an inn, but rather a run down, filthy dump in the middle of a dangerous industrial park along side a highway. I have never seen such false advertising. Unfortunately, my car broken down traveling through San Rafael. My Navigation system directed me to a garage on the same street. I called every hotel in San Rafael first only to find all of them booked. This motel was my last resort because of the neighborhood, but the worst was inside. The sheets and pillowcases from the PREVIOUS guests were still on the bed. I immediately complained and the owner brought me a sheet to cover the fillthy sheets (didn't offer to change them or honor my request for a new room), another phone call and trip to the front desk to get clean pillowcases to put over the filthy ones, carpet full of crumbs and food, sink, vanity and both tubs with filth and hair. Every surface with filthy. No security lock on door. The worse was the fleas and bugs that starting biting when I turned the lights out. Left hotel full of flea bites and fleas. There wasn't even a box of Kleenex. Slept on top of the clean sheet and used my clothes as covers. Did not shower or sleep due to bugs biting and noise from highway. Hotel promised me a full refund and I have not yet received after one week. Contacted BBB and Chamber of Commerce for help. If my car wasn't broken down, i would have walked out immediately. If the neighborhood wasn't so dangerous, I would have slept in my car. After this experience, I should have stayed in the car. At least I wouldn't have to get rid of fleas now and waste my energy fighitng this dishonorable establishment for the refund I was promised. Disgrace to hotels every where and an insult to any traveler.
I cannot imagine that any of these positive reviews are from actually guests. They must be written by the same people who created the bogus website.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere. If you are desparate enough to stay, examine room prior to check in and pull down cov...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank CTTraveler2011
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I made my reservation early to make things easier. The reservation was paid for twice and I had to call to have it refunded. When I showed up they told me they couldn't find any proof of a reservation so the girl took my card and said it would be straightened out later, even though I had a copy of the receipt on my phone. They decided to charge my card again and got paid twice for the room a second time.They still haven't given me my money back.
During my stay I barely got any sleep because the heater was extremely loud, it woke me up almost every hour when it turned off and on. Overall this place was a very bad experience for me and it started before I even got there.

• Stayed: November 2012
8  Thank Pamela197
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We only stayed here one night, but the bed was comfortable and the room clean. Not a great neighborhood for walking around, as it was in a street of car dealerships, but conveniently close to downtown San Rafael. It is very close to the freeway, and we were concerned that it might be really noisy, but it is well insulated and we weren't aware of the freeway once the door was shut. The shower was OK, not great, but clean.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2013

This place is a great value considering the location. The room appeared recently remodeled, and looked to be in excellent shape. Honestly, I was shocked at how nice it was considering the modest price for the area. The shades knocked out all the outside light and gave us a chance to take a nice afternoon nap before going out for the night. Being right next to Hwy 101 had me a bit nervous about noise. It was noticeable, but honestly not a dealbreaker at all. Our room was equipped with a nice fridge, LCD tv, and microwave. I will definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rusty_Shakelford21
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Clean rooms that have been renovated within the last couple of years. Nice TV's, bathrooms and beds. I am not really picky but had a great stay. Nice owners who seem to enjoy their guests. Will stay here again. Your other options in this area, Travel lodge and Motel 6 are not really options. Stay here. Walking distance to Terrapin Crossroads.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cmswartz
Reviewed 17 October 2012

When I approached the hotel and found it on a side street, down what looked like an alley, I thought I was in for a bad experience,especially with the small parking lot. I was pleasantly surprised.

The room and bathroom were clean and well kept. It looked like it was newly re-done. Amazing tile work in the bathroom. Service was good. RIGHT off the freeway so very accessible. Gas for car, food, and stores were within 3 miles of hotel. Free Wi-Fi. Lots of decent channels with the Dish Network and flat screen tv. Good coffee choices, both in the room and lobby.

On the opposite side, it is a tad pricey for what you get. There were stains on the fitted sheet, but they were very quick to fix that and I was refunded money. Go somewhere else for breakfast. Anyone with a physical mobility issue needs to stay on the ground floor. One very small trashcan per room. Freeway noise, but it is not a chain hotel, so the insulation is not as thick.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Best Western Plus Novato Oaks Inn
Best Western Corte Madera Inn
Best Western Corte Madera Inn
#1 of 3 in Corte Madera

Been to North Bay San Rafael? Share your experiences!