“Best in San Rafael”

North Bay San Rafael
North Bay San Rafael
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I am recommending this hotel because it's a very nice and amiable place to stay and not to mention the price are resonable, the place is sparky clean and stuff is helpful. What most impressed me was how clean it was and I mean even the closet was dusted. The rooms are stylish decorated, the beds are so comfortable, you will fall sleep as soon as you lay down. What more the motel is centrally located, only 20 min from sf and to close to restaurants and shopping area. Even though the motel is close to freeway, the rooms are very quiet. It's a small motel but if you like the feeling of being home then this is the place. I read the old review and i must say they are true. I dont know why people would write such a thing unless it was there own reason to be turn down. The place, staff and the hotel it self is incredible. Your money is well spent.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank miaowsaidthekitty

Reviewed 27 December 2010

For a two star motel it was just fine. I stayed there for 3 nights and my room was cleaned each day. The morning instant coffee in the lobby was the best instant coffee I ever had.
The staff was very polite nice and friendly. The location is not the greatest, but if you just want an affordable place to sleep while visiting sites of the Bay Area and or your family it is great. Not sure why it has so many bad reviews.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2010

From the moment I saw this place I had a bad feeling about it. From the outside it looks like a cheap, rundown motel, and it's in a rundown area, separated from the freeway by only the street and a chain-link fence. The "lobby" is the size of a postage stamp, and is poorly lit. The staff isn't "staff", it's members of a family who are running back and forth between the front desk and their kitchen. I made a reservation on their own website for a king room, which was confirmed, with a request that I be located away from the street. But the only room they had "available" was not a king, and was right next to the street and freeway. I didn't feel safe being so close to the street, and the whole place just had a creepy feeling to it. And even though they could all speak English, they spoke to each other in a foreign language, in front of me, and that came across as rude. I chose not to stay there, and instead drove down the road to the ESA, which was not only very nice, but also less expensive than the North Bay dump!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank Aimless
Reviewed 24 September 2010

My husband and I spent a great 2 weeks in the Napa Valley and decided last minute to drive to SFO the night before our flight home. We usually stay in Holiday Inn Express or similar but we couldn't find any availability and booked this place through a visitor centre. The room cost $80 + tax. We arrived and were told there was no reservation but after some confusion with the desk clerk we were allocated a room. The warning bell should have rung when he explained that breakfast was served in the shower cubicle sized reception area (which only had room for 2 people to stand). Our room had a stale smell, shabby bedding (the pillow slips had holes and hair which didn't belong to us!!. I reported this to the guy on reception. He said the owner would be back in an hour and I should tell her. He then came to our room and handed me some other shabby pillow slips and said the hair probably belonged to the girl who serviced the room!! There was a rim of dust, fluff and an earring along the edge of the carpet. It was obvious it hadn't been cleaned for some time. I spoke to the owner when we checked out and she was not in the least surprised at our comments on her motel. She apologised and said it was the fault of the girls who cleaned the rooms and she would speak to them. She said that she would comp our next visit and was still not surprised when I told her we would never stay at her establishment again. The noise from the nearby Highway 501 was the least of the problems with this place. My recommendation is that you keep driving and avoid this motel at all costs.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ToogoodTrip
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I made a reservation through Hotels.com and got a 'confirmation' for the requested date. When we showed up, we were told by this woman/owner that Hotels.com had made a mistake and in fact the booking had been closed when reservations were made. However, Hotels.com has already sent an email to me and made arrangements for our stay at another location.
The woman then proceeded to give the phone number for Hotels.com (turned out she had scribbled a '702' area code) with our confirmation number for reference. I called that number and stayed on hold for over 10 minutes (it was the busy Labor Day weekend) and found out that the number belonged to Expedia.com!
I finally got hold of Hotels.com number and the first thing the Hotels.com rep said was "Yes, sir, you have a confirmed booking today at North Bay, San Rafael". So they, too, were not aware of the cancellation though the woman at North Bay claimed that an email had been sent to me (checked later - there was no email from Hotels.com) and a room at another hotel had been arranged for us.
DO NOT BOOK A ROOM OR STAY AT THIS HOTEL! They obviously manipulate the 'confirmed' reservation to make an extra buck and don't care about the guest.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank VimalG
Reviewed 1 September 2010

This place is a great deal for what you pay. It was clean and the sheets were actually really great quality. Only issue was holes in the bed covers, they should really replace though but otherwise it's good. Wireless was very spotty.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I had reserved a room through the hotel's web site and received a confirmation email that included the details of my reservation. Imagine my surprise when I showed up to check in, and was informed that I did not have a room after all, but that I was on the "wait list". When I referred to my confirmation email, I was told that I was sent a second email 24 hours ago notifying me of my "wait list" status - I received no such email. Not only was this the status of my reservation, but of two other friends who made their own reservations through the hotel's web site to stay here.

Wait list?!? Seriously? I've never in my life heard of being put on a "wait list" when making hotel reservations.

I think the worst part though was the woman's attitude. She never apologized or offered to help find another option or acted like she cared in anyway. All in all, completely rude. Unacceptable behaviour for a hotel owner or staff.

Fortunuately, I was able to find another hotel with availability in San Rafael, but it involved panicked phone calls to friends help with web searching. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. STAY AWAY if you don't want to show up only to find yourself on the "wait list".

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area
Best Western Corte Madera Inn
Best Western Corte Madera Inn
#1 of 3 in Corte Madera

Been to North Bay San Rafael? Share your experiences!