“Not worth the hype”

Sol Food Puerto Rican Cuisine
Ranked #1 of 229 Restaurants in San Rafael
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Puerto Rican
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Germany
“Not worth the hype”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We came here with friends who live in San Rafael. They had told us about the restaurant and the success story behind it. We drove past it several times, always with a line of people waiting outside, so our expectations were high. We were quite disappointed with the food. The concept of the restaurant is good and I liked the decor. I also thought it a great idea to serve some of the drinks in large jars. Thumbs up for that. However, we found the food to be absolutely overrated. We had had a small lunch a another Puerto Rican restaurant in Haight (see separate review), which was really tasty. The food at Sol was bland and nothing to write home about. I had chicken, which was quite dry and not well spiced. I had to put on lots of the spicy sauce which was supplied on the table in a bottle. The spicy sauce was best tasting thing we had, and it was really good! I wouldn't mind getting the recipe for it. My husband had the ribs. They were dry and not very tasty. We had a side order of the plantain. It was okay, but didn't taste of my much. My friend had the camarones, which tasted good. I wouldn't eat here again, and can not understand how everyone raves about this place.

2 Thank ducktrio

san rafael
“All is not lost”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

I gave this place a bad review after eating there about 10 times while trying to figure out why they were always crowded. I gave them another shot and found a few things that the family and I liked so I would like to update my old review by saying they do have some decent items and the customer service is very nice over the phone for delivery. I have been enjoying the Wednesday special and the roasted chicken, the Cubano sandwhich is still very very skinny so I will continue to pass on that. The limonda is excellent and the breaded shrimps can good as well. Explore for yourself I'm sure you can find something that you will like.

San Diego, California
“The Real Deal!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

I have been to PR and the food taste exactly authentic. Excellent cuisine. Line wrapped around the building, good atmosphere. Must go if in SF or San Rafael area.

Landaff, New Hampshire
“Worth a stop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

This is the second time I've been here in my travels through the area. The food is delicious and prepared in a reasonable amount of time. It has a casual atmosphere but everything is top quality. Love it!

Long Beach, California
“Casual and Yummy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Loved this place! It's fresh, yummy, and casual. It's great for lunch or and easy dinner. You order as you walk in and they bring your meal to your table.

Visited July 2013