“cesspool”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Gilroy, California
“cesspool”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

arrived 7/28/12 room 174, have stayed in a lot of hotels and this was the absolute worst. carpets were stained, old dog food in the closet, despite having cable the tv was old and you couldn't hardly see the picture. dirty, old room. paint only covers up so much. went to dinner and came back a couple of hours later and there wasn't any parking. the parking is inadequate for the amount of rooms they have and very tight. went to the manager's office to complain and was told to park behind the motel in another business parking lot that was marked tow away zone at owner's expense. plus homeless people were camped out in the parking lot doing drugs. i had my two small children and my wife with me, i didn't feel safe having my family stay there, so we decided to leave. i returned room keys to manager's office and asked for a refund and was denied. we decided to drive 150 miles back home and return the next day so my wife could finish up her class she was taking, we will be contacting the corporate office to make a complaint! DO NOT STAY HERE, YOU WILL REGRET IT!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank bob379

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I arrived a bit late in the evening and was given room 154 which is located in the second courtyard. The parking IS a bit tight. The courtyard area is small and you pretty much have to back out of it in order to leave. I could see a fender bender occuring if some else were coming around the corner at the same time. The room is actually two rooms in one, with a separate windowless room containing a single queen bed. The main room has two beds. There was no odor of any kind when I entered. There was no peeling paint or anything like that. TV worked fine. The bathroom is a bit dated, but was clean. The housekeeper had evidently forgotten to leave a set of towels. I went to the office to get some. The bathroom sink is a stand alone type with no counter top on which to place your toiletries. The hot water faucet provided no water at all, but the shower was satisfactory. Bathroom has a sliding translucent window which lets in a lot of light from outside in the courtyard. The solution was to just close the bathroom door. Bedding was clean and the blanket was soft, not like some of the stiff ones in a couple of other Motel 6's I have stayed at on this trip. No sign of any bedbugs. Carpeting is certainly not new, but neither is it gross. There was no noise to speak of during the night and i didn't see anyone whom I would call a shady character. Not sure what restaurants are close by. I drove about three miles to a Dennys, because I like to eat there. I paid $70 including tax and the senior discount. That's $10 more than in the others in which I have stayed. The clerk who checked me in was in no way rude.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ELHS220
Chesterfield, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Terrible. I am in room #138 date:2/2/2012 Room reeks of stale urine. There is literaly no cold water today. So I cannot flush the toilet or have a glass of water. Have not tried the shower yet. It does not appear to be a nice neighborhood as well. Hopefully I do not get attacked by bugs or something tonight. Fingers are crossed. Think I will head to the airport and sleep there tomorrow night. Have a flight back home Saturday morning. Lucky only working here one day. Will never stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Derek M

Travellers are raving about these San Rafael hotels

everywhere
Reviewed 11 January 2012

This is a horrible hotel with no concern for your comfort or enjoyment during your stay. We stayed here over Christmas/New Year's and had numerous issues. Initially, the TV was not working properly so we were told by staff it was being fixed. Days passed and it still was not fixed nobody even attempted to come into our room to look at it. Local telephone calls were not working on our phone. We notified management but yet again nothing was done not even an exchange of our phone. Construction was in progress during our stay yet we were not notified of this during our reservation or at the front desk before check-in. The loud banging started daily from 9-6pm. Many guests had complained about not being informed of this and were not given any compensation. Then we had only cold water in our room one morning so we again called to speak to the manager. Actually, we never had HOT water it was always lukewarm. He said, "I have had a lot of issues with you since you checked in so you need to check-out today" he said yelling. We willingly checked-out but he tried to blame us for all the problems that were CLEARLY only the fault of Motel 6. We questioned as to why so many basics were not operable during our stay and could only conclude that it was a cost saving effort for the motel. We never received a compted night or anything from this property so if you are expecting respect and fair treatment from this manager and staff in exchange for spending your money here, go elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FridaKa
telenurse85
Reviewed 25 December 2011

$59.99 a night is reasonable for the San Rafael area but for Motel 6 this is expensive. So one would expect them to have their property well kept up. I have stayed in Motel 6 properties from coast to coast while traveling for business because I find them to be basic, clean and they meet my needs, nothing more, nothing less. I expect a clean quiet room, clean linens, a shower and internet available. Oh, and plenty of parking.
First, I found that there is almost no parking at the San Rafael location. Fortunately I found a spot. Unfortunately, I was afraid that, should I move my car, I would be without a spot for the rest of my one night stay so I walked nearly a mile oneway to get food from my favorite local chinese restaurant (granted, I could have opted for delivery but my favorite restaurant didn't deliver).
Now, the young man who checked me in at the front desk was very, very nice and exceedingly helpful. He offered to fill me in on local attractions (of which there are many) and to recommend local restaurants. If I had the need of this service, he would have been of great help to me. And he was very personable.
There were actually two rooms, the second one was small and held a table and two chairs. It had no window and no plug in to which I could plug my lap top into. The layout reminded me of an old Rodeway Inn that I had stayed in years ago but the second room would have been a kitchenette. The rooms and the property were quite rundown. It would appear that the property has probably not been redecorated in well over a decade (at least). The room had threadbare carpeting, the walls were dingy, the furniture looked quite worn and old. I could hear my neighbors quite easily through the walls (much more than I wanted to).
I had difficulty sleeping. The bed was quite uncomfortable and, seriously, I thought I heard running and scuttling as if there were a mouse in the room. This left me sitting up in the bed with the lights on.
Overall, I expected the usual from Motel 6, no frills but CLEAN, basic and somewhat modern and with ease of parking. Instead I felt as if I had just checked into a motel from some Alfred Hitchcock movie....like the Bates Motel....which is why I can't really reommend the Motel 6 in San Rafael, CA

Room Tip: Go to a different Motel