“Worst Motel 6 EVER”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Spring Valley, California, United States
“Worst Motel 6 EVER”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have stayed in many motel 6 locations. They are usually clean, and inexpensive. We called the Hotel 6 # to find something close as all hotels we tried were full. Late at night, tired after driving 11 hours, given this reservation. Told that it would be $115. Got there and it was actually $130 with tax! Dirty, bed like a rock. My husband turned on the tv. I told him to turn it off. I wanted to go to sleep immediately, so I would not be spending any extra time here. There were holes in the wall, everything smelled like smoke, including the bedding. I would not expect to pay more than $20 to stay here if I had a choice. Looked like a place where you would pay by the hour. GROSS and a bad area of town. See the photo, is this a $130 room? Fridge on the floor with a microwave on top.

Room Tip: No rooms are good
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Cindy A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My partner and I are traveling through the United States, came through San Fransisco yesterday and went as far as San Rafael......we should have kept going but were tired. So we stopped at the Motel 6. They say they leave the light on for you, well you can turn the light off because I will never ever again stay at a Motel 6. This is the 2nd time a Motel 6 has let us down. First of all don't let the look of the outside fool you, it does not look bad at all, that is what draws you in. They charged us $106 for a double room, I said to the front desk clerk 'thats pretty expensive for a Sunday' and his reply was 'well that's Motel 6 policy nothing I can do........so we made it to our room winding threw a small crowded parking lot to room 142..........there was a space at the bottom of the door a small dog could have crawled through. No shampoo, no coffee maker, no clock........it was filthy. Our socks were black from the floor, no carpet! The beds were like rocks, only a mattress layed on a 3/4 inch plywood board. The t.v was so dirty I wrote clean me on it! At 8:45 am the housekeeper was trying to get in the door until I yelled at her........of course she didnt speak english, what a surprise! The walls are paper thin and had to listen to dogs barking all night ! All in all this was the worst place we have stayed during our trip, normally I would wait until I get home to write my reviews but if I can just save 1 person from experiencing this hell then so be it! FOR OVER A HUNDRED DOLLARS I EXPECT MORE.........Motel 6 you are a huge chain and should be more careful of who you let run these properities. They do not care about anything but the bottom line as I suppose you do! But if it were me I would want people to stay at my hotel because it was the best place to stay not because they are forced to........and I'm sorry but learn the langauge!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank luv2luvt
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This one is privately owned, so they do not have to follow under any Motel6 rules or guidelines, as I found out the hard way!
Never been to the area before, so never been to this location. I got there after a very long drive, hot and exhausted! I was trying to check in with my reservation, promised at $99 per room as I reserved 2 rooms for my family. I was very specific when I made my reservation that the handicapped room only needed one bed for myself, and the other room 2 beds for rest of family. I asked to be right next to or as close to ice machine as possible as well.
It was a manager on duty when I got there checking in. He was pointing in the wrong direction when trying to tell me where the rooms are. When I had a hard time understanding him, he got mean with me and said, "ma'am, your NOT listening to me!" Shocked, and already grouchy from the heat and long trip, I could not let that slide for someone who is suppose to be professional, talk to me like that! All the motel6's I had been to up to that point ALL had maps on the desks! I asked him for one, he says, "we DON'T need a map, YOU just need to LISTEN to me" again!! I told him it was VERY rude for him to be talking to me like that. Instead of calming down with an, "im sorry", what I got in return was.."here is your ID and CC...NOW LEAVE AND GET OUT"!!!!! I am TOTALLY serious on this! I slammed out the door, climbed back in the car with my family, telling them what happened. One of my son's, a minor, takes the plastic from me and says, "oh H*** no am I going to let this happen." I was shocked when just not even a minute later, he comes out with room keys! So the manager rented the rooms to a MINOR with MY cc and ID! I was furious but too tired to argue and just wanted to figure out where the darn rooms where so I could lay down with some AC! The handicapped room ended up being the one with 2 beds in it instead, and it was flooded from the fridge. My room was 1 bed with nothing handicapped about it to help me stabilize to get in shower. The floors where bouncy and creaked REAL loud! (we were all on the bottom floor too!) The bed was as hard as a rock, walls and pillows all paper thin.
When the other members of my family in, in the other room reported to me the water all over the floor, I inspected it and it was coming from the broken fridge. They could not stay in the room like that, so I was ready to just try to make as nice as I could to go back to the office and face that devil of a man. (took all the guts I had)!
Note; I did call from their room, but after 20 rings, i gave up and that's when i went to the office.
So I get to the office, manager had just got off duty, THANK YOU. BUT....NO one, I repeat, NO one was staffed at the desk! The entire property had been left with NO staff! i found the friend of who was suppose to be staffed sitting in the office, relaxing. He said his friend left to get food and would be back in about 20 minutes!! OMG, can this get ANY worse?!? I stood there for just a little bit to be sure this man was really telling me the truth since I thought, there's just NO way a business can be abandoned like this for ANY length of time! As I heard all the phones ringing off the hook, I realized this man told me the truth! Angry, I turned to the friend and said, "well you better GO get that friend of yours that is suppose to be ON duty here RIGHT NOW because we have a flooded room!" He got real scared look in his face, ran out the door, and started searching the property. He said he found a man that can help go clean up the mess in the room at least. That was dealt with! Just before bed, since I could not get into shower safely, used the restroom at least. I STEP IN WATER! My toilet was leaking and I found I had a flooded bathroom! I called front desk, no answer... so i just took the towels and threw them on the ground NOT wanting to go through all that AGAIN! I realized that my little boy never gave me the receipt, so i went and got it from him, only to learn that my reservation price of $99 per room was NOT honored either. I was charged $150 PER room! I did NOT have that budgeted! There was no one to complain to since no one working there was on duty, i just gave up on everything, went to bed! I get woke around 1 am hearing guys laughing outside where my car was parked, in front of my room. I look outside the window, and 3 men are standing a few inches from my car, one of them looked like he was leaning on it. It scared me because I did not know if they were going to try to break in it! I called the front, they answered! I reported what was going on, the whole scene. The night staff told me that unless they ARE breaking into my car, they didnt see anything wrong with where the men where standing. Also, if I cant take the noise, call the cops, and not them! I knew nothing of the police dept there.
I grabbed my cain, AGAIN more guts, and went out there, grabbing onto the pole to stabilize myself off the cain, and started waiving my cain at them telling them to get lost or else I would come beat them with it!!! They ran off.
Next morning i was SO hungover from being woke up in the night after a LONG hot day in the car! I checked out, trying to give another new staff face the complaints of everything. She said that she was not the person to take complaints.
Got in the car and headed back home! In the car, my family, and me both had these VERY itchy bumps all over us the WHOLE way! When I researched our symptoms at home, turns out we were ALL attacked by BED BUGS!!! I called the place up, demanding refund to cover medical expenses, pain and suffering. They refused! I called the main Motel6 line to report all of this. They said investigation can take up to 30 days to get refund or report of investigation.
Today, July27th, got note in the mail from corporate office stating that there was actually nothing they can do in the case where the place is actually PRIVATELY owned. They do not have to abide by Motel6 standards. They included info on the owner. I to plan on making contact!

Room Tip: Always check reviews on a place before you loose your money! If i did this, I would have seen the ot...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Reviewlady1
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were pretty desperate when we stopped in San Rafael so we broke our rule of always looking at the room prior to taking it. When we got into the room we were already prepared for much less than we are used to but we opened the door and it looked pretty scary but had the AC actually worked we might have stayed.. the front desk was immediately called and he argued with me that it worked earlier. I told him truthfully the air coming out was warmer than the outside air and he agreed to send a maintenance person around. When the staff arrived they took the cover off and he was mad.. to find a crack pipe in the drain area of the AC.. we got scared and immediately left.. I wouldn't want anyone I know to stay at this location..

Room Tip: If you must stay here please check your room carefully.. it would be a tragedy if a child got info s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Rmbln_Man
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel looked fine from the outside but that is where it ended. The room was not clean and was in a bad state of repair. There was no plug in the sink, the sheets looked like they had not been ironed, the walls had been patched up with a different colour paint, the bath had been sort of painted but it had caused it to have black marks all over it even the TV was hung crooked on the wall. Do not stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TriciaBY
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2014

If I wasn't travelling with a male K9 trained German Shepherd I would have been terrified to stay here. I had No choice it was late and I had 4 dogs and we needed to find a hotel fast. Most motel 6's I have stayed at were really modern and clean and decent locations. This one was full so I couldn't park my s500 Mercedes right by the door which bothered me.It was apparent that prostitution and drug dealings took place here. I was un-loading some things from my car and police showed up.. I asked the officer if she thought it was safe and she said.. don't leave any valuables in your car and there is lots of "activity" here. So many scary looking men were walking around... and the room was old and not clean and not updated. I slept on the top of the bed on my own blanket with my clothes on and my hoodie pulled over my head! the guy that checked me in was very kind.. and told me I could park My benz right in front of the lobby if I wanted.. very nice offer. Also this dump was $79? plus tax so over $80 where other hotel 6's are only $50. Too dangerous and bad area,,, there are better hotels I am sure but again Pet friendly is what I was needing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LoliB818
USA---
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The room looked just like the picture shown by motel. Found this room after 8:30pm. Nowhere very near by to eat, right beside interstate. Strangely, a taxi limo sat in our rooms parking space for quite a long time after check in and "U" shaped narrow parking lot had tight parking . Floor slopes somewhat and creaked and had very large empty open closet in addition to room. Very basic room. Naturally Motel 6 has no breakfast.
Only one stay for me.

Best Western Corte Madera Inn
Best Western Corte Madera Inn
#1 of 3 in Corte Madera
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Been to Motel 6 San Rafael? Share your experiences!