“Hit the Spot!”

Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Reviewed 26 November 2013

San Francisco was booked solid unless we wanted to pay $500 a night! Where to go? Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael was our optimum choice at this point. Our drive out of the City was easy, as was the journey back the next morning. Plenty of free parking space, excellent check in experience, breakfast included, amazing service at breakfast. So why an average score? The hotel does feel like it is an older property which has been renovated (some hotels manage to pull off the renovation and the hotel feels new and exciting!). Personal opinion (the whole review is really!!) but I struggled with the blue wall in the bedroom! Bed was comfortable, slept well, left happy! Excellent value, and a great place to stop if San Francisco is completely booked!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Abbe L
There are newer reviews for Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I used to hate staying at Sheratons, but they're getting better. The staff at this location were terrific ... warm and friendly when we arrived, patient with our on-site meeting requests, accommodating at every turn. The sleeping room was nicely appointed, as were the public areas, and the location was good. These are all improvements over many of my earlier experiences.

I would've given this place 5 stars if they'd slid the receipt under the door in the early a.m. [rather than my discovering 3 days later that I didn't have one, then having to look up the hotel number, call the front desk to request one, then print it out to submit with my expense account] and if they'd told me when I requested a late check-out that I needed to get my room key re-programmed after 11 a.m. I went to the room at 11:30 with a 20-minute turnaround time, and couldn't get in. But in the big scheme of things, this was a good stay...much, much better than my average Sheraton Four Points experiences.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 November 2013

This hotel is a tad confusing to find but well worth the effort. The staff is beyond welcoming and extremely helpful. Our room was comfortable, quiet, and perfect for us. We will definitely stay here again! As an aside, it has the best in room coffee I've ever had - for me, this is a huge perk!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in this hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed here for one night in October 2013. The hotel is half an hour north of San Francisco and located just off a major highway. I was reasonably impressed by the hotel for the price paid. It's up a steep hill, with ample space in the parking lot. Staff were very friendly and welcoming, upgraded me to a lovely room with a view overlooking the pool (I presume this is better than the highway view). Free wifi, a comfortable bed with modern furniture. If I'm being picky, I'd say the room was a little tired, but it was fine for a short stay.

I took breakfast in the restaurant, where staff were very friendly and accommodating, and the food was better than I anticipated.

There doesn't appear to be much in the surrounding area, but I'd have no hesitation in staying here again, and would recommend this place for a great value stay in the bay area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank liamuk2
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased to hear you saw value in our hotel and that our amenities met your expectations. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Coming from the north and with 2 days of business in San Francisco I experimented staying in San Rafael and commuting into town. Even at morning rush hour (7:15 – 7:30) the drive to the GG Bridge was about 16 minutes and Lombard was a cruise as well. Maybe I got lucky. Even paying $32 to park for the day (Embarcadero), the combined cost of hotel & parking & bridge tolls was less than most of the equivalent lodging options in SF. Unless you’re craving the SF experience or hate driving in rush hour consider it.

Four Points was recommended to me and I didn’t shop options. The place itself was predictably decent and not exceptional but perfectly fine. My request for a quiet room was met (interior facing the pool where no one was). And I appreciated having a small business center with a printer for printing the speaker notes I’d forgotten. Hotel desk staff was attentive and acknowledged visitors coming and going – not just a friendly gesture but good security practice.

Across the street (a longish walk or 2 minute drive) are a number of morning and evening restaurant options.

The hotel has a bar & restaurant on premises that suited me well when I arrived late. The bar was fine but the restaurant, Marin Steak & Spirits is either a last resort or choose your items carefully. I’ve reviewed that separately.

Room Tip: Would recommend an interior (pool facing) or "back" of the hotel for road noise management...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Let me first say I am very particular about the hotels my husband and I stay in. We require newer, clean and quiet. Having said that..

We highly recommend this hotel. It is very nice, updated, clean and comfortable. The best aspect of the Sheraton is their staff. Each staff member we encountered were very friendly and professional. All around you will have a very good experience at the Sheraton 4 Points San Rafael.

Room Tip: Just make your preferences known ahead of time and I have no doubt you will be accomadated.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I stayed there. It was okay. The staff was nice, but either they could not use their computers well or they have terrible accounting software.

They could not print a receipt when I asked for one and told me they would get it to me by morning when my expense report would be due, but I never got it.

I specifically said, "I want to pay cash, I don't want incidentals, any other charges."
I paid over $2490 in cash over 21 days, but they could not get the software to print a receipt weekly as requested.

The day I was supposed to checkout, they slipped it under the door with an unexpected final balance of $78 dollars. It was unexpected because I prepaid for everything.

Two months later, while I'm over 3300 miles away, they charged my credit card $1657.77 without a phone call or anything.

When I called them, they said I checked back in while I was in another state 3300 miles away.
I called the accounting department and the rep. said they did not have all of my payments in their system and that my checkout bill should have been about 900 dollars instead of $78.00. There was no explanation for the $1657.77 charge or where the 900 or the 78 dollar charges came from or what they were for. I never ordered anything for the room other than the room itself.

However, the checkout reciept reads 0 balance on the day I checked out.

No call back yet... filing fraud charges though the bank and consumer protection agency....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Hanabal K
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Please contact me directly so we can get this resolved ASAP. Sorry for the inconvenience we’ve caused you. Evelyn, Front Office Manager, efernandez@fourpointssanrafael.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Rafael
Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County
The Lodge at Tiburon
The Lodge at Tiburon
#2 of 2 in Tiburon

Been to Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael? Share your experiences!