“Nice Hotel, 30 years ago”

Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We really expected more from a Sheraton. The front desk staff really didn't care or try to make our stay enjoyable. We complained about the air conditioning (which would not go off and was so loud as to wake the dead) and the torn curtains, they just said that was the way it was. The hotel needs to be remodeled as the bathrooms were dirty and old. So if you want a good nights sleep and a clean room go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Rob P, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We like to think of our hotel as a nice hotel that is always improving. In fact we are for sure, beginning a top to bottom renovation this year and will be remodeling all areas. We are working hard this summer season to provide the best experience possible and look forward to our continued improvements in the months to come.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Before I go into pros/cons let me first premise this by the following shared with my by Jose (who was awesome). The hotel just recently got taken over by a new management company who is doing MAJOR renovations. It is still a SPG hotel but it is getting some major cosmetic surgery. However, since it is being revamped and totally redone that meant about 15 of the staff across all areas were let go due to various reasons which leads me to my review. I believe in full transparency so here we go. Trust me you will thank me if you read to the end.

I arrived at around 3:00pm on a Monday to check in. I requested a quiet room and a fridge when booking the appointment. They were very speedy with my check-in and said they got me a quiet room and the fridge should be in there and if not to call down to the desk...ok. I get to my room and the first thing I notice when I get in there is that there is an odor that seems familiar but I cannot put my finger on it. Oh well it is not repulsive or that strong that I really care to change rooms (which they offered to do the next day because they were sold out). The next thing is the fridge is not in the room. Okay, I will call down. It finally arrived 3 hours later with Jose (who was amazing and told me all about what is going on...super enlightening). A little while after settling in I realize there is an ottoman but there seems to be missing a couch or chair that matches it. I laugh a little to myself and call down. Liz answers and its dumbfounded and says she will check on it. Jose drops the fridge and I ask him about it. Apparently the dog show people who took over the hotel a few days prior moved ALL the furniture around and they were still trying to find it all. I laughed and said no worries. He went to go find a chair and came back maybe 2 minutes later! Awesome. So now I have my fridge, my chair, and I can finally get ready for dinner. AWESOME.

I come back from dinner and snuggle in for sleep that I desperately need to catch up on only to be thwarted by the fact that my quiet room (yes it was quiet) was next to the housekeeping closet and they were doing some sort of late night organizing or cleaning or something causing quite the racket. Once they left I drifted off to sleep. I will also mention that there was a HUGE thunderstorm that rolled through that woke up the whole hotel but consequently I did notice that my door rattles when someone else closes their door or Thor decides to exact his revenge on earth... sigh.

Breakfast (included in my AAA rate) was average, nothing spectacular but it was yummy. Abundance of food and drink, lots to choose from.

I shared my frustrations with the two (fabulous) ladies at the front desk. They really bent over backward to make me happier.

So here's my 2 cents. Is it the most luxurious, efficient, clean hotel I have ever been to? No. HOWEVER, they are trying really hard to make everything right, keep people happy, and work with their very limited resources! If you want to stay here, do it. It is reasonably priced (use AAA), free parking, pretty central to Marin and SF, and just go with the flow. If you go in knowing the background and having realistic expectations you will have a great stay, just be patient and laugh :)

*honestly if they were not booked solid, I probably would have stayed longer!* Oh and the pool is very nice!

Room Tip: Choose a pool room floor 2 or higher!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for a very thorough review. The staffing changes that were referenced were voluntary departures by the associates themselves. We are very excited about our new ownership and the renovation plans set to begin this Fall. Every room will be redone as well as the Front Desk, Restaurant, and Lounge. The new Fitness Center will be ready for use in August. Our entire team is very focused on guest satisfaction. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here last week on Wednesday night. Placed seemed nice enough at check in. Got a room on floor 0 ( not a typo) the carpet had ripples, bumps. Bathroom had mildew stains in tub area. At the price I paid I expected much better. Would not stay here again

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for staying with us. We have used your valuable feedback as a training tool for our housekeeping inspectors. Our hotel is very clean, but the rooms are ready for the upcoming renovation. We will begin renovating rooms in the next few weeks. We have already begun in our Fitness Center.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here with my wife back in April while I had some work in the area and we were visiting some friends who just had a baby. We had a terribly long day and checked into the hotel about 9 in the evening. We were given an upgrade at check it which we were excited about! Upon arrival to the room we found the room was never cleaned at all since the last guest was in it. We in fact thought that the room was still occupied due to it's state when we saw it.

We headed back to the front desk completely exhausted from the day and the long trek through the hotel back to the front desk which honestly is a considerable distance. We were give another room and this time no upgrade. I was offered bonus SPG points for the inconvenience which helped out a bit. The second room was beat up. This looks like a hotel that Sheraton bought and is trying to make up to their standards and is no where near it yet. The room was right next to the elevator and I could hear people all night long. Also the refrigerator in the room would kick on every hour on the hour and was loud enough to wake me up. So basically I did not sleep all night.

The next night we were moved to another room which was alright. The staff was very nice but the situation was very trying considering I was working a great deal and I just needed a good nights sleep. Also, I never received my consolation bonus SPG points. I had to call SPG a couple times and the hotel never responded to my concerns. SPG finally just gave me points due to the fact that the hotel never took the time to respond.

Next time I am in San Rafael I will look for an other property to stay at. Which is a bummer since I am a loyal SPG member.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. In April we did have some staff changes and were in the midst of a training campaign. Our plans have been approved for renovation on all of the guestrooms and public areas. We have begun with our new Fitness Center that will be ready this month. Please give us another try on your next visit to San Rafael.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Me and my two daughters recently spent a few days in San Francisco and Six Flags Vallejo and stayed at the Sheraton San Rafael. I expected A nice Place because it was a Sheraton Hotel and that's Exactley what we got and more. The rooms were very nice with a fridge , microwave and ours also had a patio to enjoy. The pool was awesome and heated with a nice hot tub, And there was also a nice fireside lounge area by the pool were we could relax after swimming at night and enjoy the fire and sunset and I also had a glass of wine from there Nice well stocked Bar. The staff was very Helpful and friendly and made our stay wonderful by providing directions to the nearby mall and cvs less then a mile away. We also enjoyed a Great Breakfast Buffet in the morning to top off the already excellent time we had. The buffet was well stocked with Bacon Sausage , eggs, Milk , juice, and everything else me and my Kids ages 9 and 11 could possibly ask for. I would like to thank the staff for helping my family have a wonderful time and feel so welcomed and important and very at home at your hotel.

Room Tip: I had a Ground floor room witch I prefer usally and this time it seemed like it was a great call bec...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Rob P, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We love hearing how much you enjoyed our hotel. We take great pride in our service and making all of our guests enjoy a memorable experience.We are looking forward to our new renovation taking place the next 6 months.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed here one night on a business trip. We have mixed feelings on this property. I'm sure that I expected more because of the name. They were very nice at the front desk upon arrival and let us check in early. We appreciated that as we had a 12 hour workday ahead of us. The room was clean and spacious. The bed was good and the bedding was comfortable. When we came back after working all day there was no soap, shampoo, or conditioner. I did not feel like waiting to get some or chase some down so luckily I had some packed. We went to have breakfast the next morning and they have a buffet or you can order off the menu. We noticed people getting plates full of food and to go boxes. So we had ordered off the menu after finally getting someone to take our order. We had to wait and almost not get to eat as it took so long to get our food. I assume it is because they kept replacing the food on the buffet. Overall, we were very disappointed in our stay here and will not be back.

Room Tip: This hotel is close to the freeway. Rooms on the inside are very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you taking the time to share your experiences. We are sorry to hear about the housekeeping replenishment and restaurant service. We have identified the associates involved and have used this information to do some extensive service training for all departments. If you return to the area consider giving us another try as we are always improving our service and our product.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed for about ten days. Trip kept getting extended beyond my original four days.

Front desk staff very friendly and very helpful. They had to move my room as I had to extend the stay and did their best to accommodate. Had constant room service and food was good. One thing though tip is automatically added to bill which is fine but each and every person pointed out when I signed the receipt that their is a tip line, I always add a bit more but please don't put me on the spot. Ended up just picking food up from restaurant after a certain point. Hotel is clean, people friendly and location is great. My room was in a tower that had work being done so no elevator but staff told me so you can't expect any more than that, work needs to be done. Of all the hotels I stay when I come to visit this seems to be the best for the best price.

My only complaint is I left a $40 water bottle on the dresser when I left and called three times to see if it was handed in leaving a detailed description and contact information. Each time the front desk transferred me to someone where I left my message to never hear back. Sort of ruins a good stay when you feel like they got your money band your gone so why bother with service standards

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your kind words following your stay with your family. We like to think of our property as a resort in Marin County. The location is ideal. I am sorry to hear about the sports bottle being lost. We will contact you directly to replace the item for you right away.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Rafael
The Lodge at Tiburon
The Lodge at Tiburon
#2 of 2 in Tiburon
Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County

Been to Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael? Share your experiences!