“Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Vancouver, Canada
“Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Arrived at 2:40pm and the room was not ready. Was told that room would be ready in 45 minutes. Went for coffee and came back. We were compensated by free breakfasts which was greatly appreciated. Wednesday night is bbq night which we got free beer and free bbq wings. Delicious! We enjoyed our 3 night stay. Close to Northgate Mall, walgreens, tons of eateries. Half n hour to San Francisco - went to Alcatraz and hung out in union square one day. Breakfast buffet was very enjoyable - 6:30-10am. No platinum perks here - no lounge or upgrade available. Got a great rate on spg at $79.00 nightly. Great pool area/bar area. Restaurant opens at 5pm. Enough room for us -two queen beds- two adults and two kids aged 12/14. Great staff!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Rob P, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you very much for your review. We are very proud of our Wednesday night " Best Brews" program featuring local beers and our chef's creative appetizers to enjoy. We also have a poolside General Manager's reception on Friday Nights. We hope to see you again real soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Polish first
Union City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

So I came down with a cold the day we were supposed to stay, I called to say we couldn't make it that day but please do not cancel the following day rez. When we checked in they moved my rez to include the next day! So instead of loosing out on one day, we got to stay 2 days without paying extra. Very nice and accommodating! We will stay there the next time we visit Muir woods and beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inside. The freeway traffic starts at 6AM. If you have a view of the pool, you...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments. We were glad to be able to make adjustments to accommodate your change in plans. We always try to be flexible with our guests. Things happen in life and we understand that as much as anybody. We appreciate all of our guests and never hesitate to be accommodating that is our business.
Frankfurt
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel is located next to a freeway exit, which makes it easy to find but noisy for the rooms facing this direction. At the freeway exit, in 5 minutes walking distance, you can take busses to San Rafael (10min), Sausalito (30min) and San Francisco (45-60 min). If you are depending on taxis, call in advance - it will take a while for them to show up.

The hotel has a nice courtyard with a relatively large pool and a cosy fireplace. This area feels very comfortable and is the biggest asset of the hotel. However, the current state of the hotel does match expectations set by the Four Points brand. Rooms are large and clean, but need a brush up. Carpets and furniture appear aged, and air condition in my room was unbearably loud (I switched it off).

Staff is very friendly, but The hotel seems to be understaffed. On a regular basis when breakfast starts, tables in the courtyard are not cleaned and have dishes and glasses from the previous night. Bathroom accessories like shampoo and foot mats are refilled at a random patterns - I ended up going out buying shampoo after 4 days without supply.

Wifi is free, reasonable buffet breakfast is 14$ if not included in your room rate.

If you like a walk or a run, follow Manuel T Freitas Parkway and Del Ganado Rd, which will get you into beautiful landscape (and on unpaved paths) after approx 2 miles.

I'd probably stay here again, but would appreciate some investment into the rooms, and the service quality to be fixed.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing car park
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We agree with you 100%. Our ownership has just gotten all plans approved to begin renovating our guestrooms in the Fall. Along with the guestrooms we will have a new lobby, restaurant and lounge. The Fitness Center was first to be rebuilt and will be open in the next week or two. We look forward to seeing you again and hosting you at our new Four Points.
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We booked and paid for 2 nights at this hotel. The website that we used canceled our rooms but failed to notify us. When we arrived at the hotel we were told they were booked solid & did not have any more rooms. The staff was super helpful and accommodating while we worked with the company that messed up. (We were not the only ones this happened to) When we are in the area again we WILL be staying with them but we will book through them.
We ate at their restaurant & had very yummy food. I highly recommend them!
The night manager - Kim Reid went above & beyond to help us.

3 Thank Becki W
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are sorry about the hotel being full. Our area is so popular and many guests want to come see us at the same time. We certainly hope you will give us a chance in the future to be of service to you and your family.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My dad arrived at this hotel before I did. He had to change rooms 2 times. The first room the sink was clogged and the 2nd room the mirror on the closet was falling off. He called me to warn me he was disappointed in the hotel. I researched reviews of the hotel and warned my kids ratings were low. When I arrived the friendliness of Michael at the front desk was a good start. Although we didn't have problems with our room I felt cramped in there. The bathroom was small and I felt the furniture was crammed into the room. Fortunately those were the extent of any problems. I have to say the pool area was really nice and inviting. Definitely unexpected. Would this be my first choice of hotels in the area? Probably not but since it was the hotel booked by the wedding party it was a choice made for us.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much. It is always nice to hear when one of our guests is pleasantly surprised. We are working diligently on our hotel improvements and we anticipate being able to offer many more wonderful surprises in the future.
New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The first day and a half our air conditioning wasn't working-the room was 78 degrees. They finally fixed it by putting in a new air conditioning unit. The last night the 3rd floor smelled heavily of marijuana. The front office came up to investigate and said that while they could obviously smell it, there wasn't anything they could do about it. They didn't seem to care. I do not recommend this hotel.

1 Thank LL752827
Thank you for taking the time to speak with me this morning. I appreciated the detailed feedback you provided me. I have spoken with each staff member that you had dealt with during your stay and they have each been individually coached on how to handle such situations in the future. I ordered the points to be credited to your account per our agreement when we spoke. I will look forward to your visit next year. I wish you and your family all the best.

Travellers are raving about these San Rafael hotels

Melbourne, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I'd love to say I was able to experience the two nights we had actually booked here, but, thanks to Expedia canceling our reservation due to overbooking us, I can't. What I CAN comment on was a wonderful customer experience my family and I will never forget.

We arrived about 7:30 at night after a long day of sightseeing in San Francisco, only to learn that our reservation had been canceled because of an "overbooking" by Expedia (even though they had no problem taking my money in the first place). We learned this had happened to several other would-be guests and had actually occurred the day before, meaning they had plenty of time to contact me but never did. Anyway, I got on the phone to try and figure out what to do, and, while I waited in queue, also hopped on the computer in the lobby to find anything else that might be available - which was not very much up and down the 101 in the San Francisco area. I won't go into the long, drawn out, agonizing detail, but it took me almost 4 hours on the phone with Expedia to finally get them to realize that we were stuck and, despite the only room being a concierge-level suite at a Marriott near SFO, they absolutely had to move us to that hotel at their cost - which they EVENTUALLY did after much haggling.

During this time, the staff at Four Points Sheraton could not have been more helpful, kind, and accommodating to my wife, my two young kids, and I. We were all invited into the lobby, and my kids were allowed to lay down on the couch and get some rest while I worked on finding another hotel. Kim, the Night Supervisor (I believe), brought us menus from the restaurant and insisted we order whatever we wanted - free of charge - while we waited. She even offered to get on the phone and assist me with the Expedia issue, even though she was under absolutely no obligation to do so. When we finally were able to be re-booked at another hotel, she brought us refills on our sodas for the drive and wished us well. I have no doubt that, had we not found other accommodations, she would have found a cot or two and put us in an empty corner of the hotel for the night if needed. We were pretty close to being that desperate.

As I said, we unfortunately weren't able to venture past the lobby of this hotel. But, if the rest of the property and staff were as generous and gracious as Kim and the others we talked with were that night, I cannot imagine we would have anything but the highest praise for this establishment. Thank you to Kim and all of the staff at Four Points Sheraton San Rafael that we encountered that night. You all truly were a blessing to us!

3 Thank TWGator71
Rob P, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for being so kind despite the terrible circumstances you encountered. We never like to see a potential guest arrive and not have a room for them. Our staff will do anything possible to make a guest feel at home and we are trained to assist in any way necessary. We will make certain that Kim is recognized for doing her best with you and your family that evening.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Rafael
BEST WESTERN Corte Madera Inn
BEST WESTERN Corte Madera Inn
#1 of 3 in Corte Madera
Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County

Been to Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael? Share your experiences!