“What a gem”

Ranked #8 of 240 Restaurants in San Rafael
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Only open for breakfast and lunch.. closes at 3:00 p.m. What a treat to find this little place. Been open since 1947. I had the classic Ruben sandwich. This was probable the best Ruben I have ever had. Although I am from the west coast the corned beef here was imported from New York. Had a great can of IPA to go with it. My wife had the Turkey melt and just raved about it. It's a hard place to find on 4th ave. but well worth the visit.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We ate Sunday brunch at Theresa and Johnny's, waiting about 25 minutes for a table. The place was abuzz with laughing and conversations among customers of all ages! We had six in our group, and everyone ordered different things. Server was high energy & hard-working. We are all stunned at the size of the portions. Our stomachs were happy, but we were glad no cardiologists were sitting at the table next to us! Food was flavorful, with no compromise on quantity of butter and spicy sauces. Good place for eating once in a while because the spirit of the place is upbeat and fun.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I visited CA for the very first time recently and caught up with an old college roommate from Mass for breakfast. This was the perfect breakfast spot! My meal of crab cakes benedict was superb- tons of crab and a flavorful hollandaise-eggs done perfectly; the tater tots great and my Latte so very delish! The staff was attentive and spirited; the atmosphere was funky and fun with tons of personality; my overall experience superb! I WILL be back from NH another time to enjoy another exceptional meal. This restaurant is The Best of The Best and a MUST VISIT for anyone who is eating their way thru CA. Sally

Reviewed 29 April 2013

Theresa and Johnny's provides the old fashioned, greasy spoon (and I do not mean that in a derogatory way) experience. It is comfortable and casual, with tasty, unpretentious food and friendly service. I had an omelet with home fries and my husband had eggs Benedict. We both cleaned our plates. Theresa and Johnny seems to be popular with the locals - which is generally a good thing. I don't give "very good" ratings easily, so am rating Theresa and Johnny's as average; our experience there was pleasant - but not exceptional. That being said, they were voted "Best Breakfast in Marin" for 2012.

All-in-all: good food, at a fair price, and wonderful, friendly service.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Friends took us here, and we are so glad they did. Very professional staff, amazing menu, and everything was super delicious. I love that they split the chicken apple sausage and browned both sides. The eggs tasted fresh. Home fries were perfect. My spouse ordered the special cornbread french toast. He cleaned the plate. Extra touches and considerate help on the part of the staff made the morning for us. We'll be back.