“Flavorful, Beautifully presented food”
Review of Odalisque Cafe - CLOSED

Odalisque Cafe
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Hours:Tuesday-Friday Breakfast 8-11amLunch 11:30-2:30pmDinner 5:30-10pmSaturdayDinner 5:30-10pm
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is a fairly new restaurant and our first time dining there. I had been told by a waiter at another top rated area restaurant, that the Crab Cakes were really good. He did not steer us wrong. We shared an order, and both were very happy. I do think the Harissa Aioli is too bold for the delicate Dungeness Crab. So after tasting the Harissa, I ate the crab cake plain.
There did seem to be several beef dishes, including the evening's special. The Pork chop that is on the web site menu was not available, so I opted for Chicken. I made a good choice. The meal was well prepared and had great flavors.
We will definitely return, but the price will keep this from becoming a weekly go to spot.

2  Thank Grandma51
There are newer reviews for Odalisque Cafe

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I came with two friends for lunch. The ambience of the place is very nice - brick walls, covered in art (the Marin Art Center and Gallery is next door) and very nice tables and decor - although downstairs tables should be avoid (dark and dank). The ambience and the friendly service is why it gets three stars, because I cannot recommend the food. We had two salads, Nicoise ($14) and Fattoush ($12) as well as the burger.

The good news is the burger was delicious. Whatever they do to prepare the ground beef - keep it. It was on a lightly toasted home made Ciabitta and came with shoe string fries that were like threads rather than strings. A good meal and well worth its price ($12 for lunch).

However the Salads Nicoise and Fattoush were overpriced and frankly not good, unfortunately for me because I got the Nicoise. The Nicoise advertises "seared ahi" and I got five tiny tiny (repeating so you get the idea) pieces of ahi barely could taste it the bites were so small. The salad included four slices of roasted potatoes which were dry and inedible. I could not taste the dressing, which to my mind is essential in a Nicoise salad to bring the disparate elements together. I give it a zero on a scale of 0 to 5. Same for the fattoush, which had nothing to go for. Pretty much just chopped romaine with some dry pita chips thrown in. Barely any feta and again one could not taste the dressing also.

To summarize, go for the burger, atmosphere and service. Dinner may be a different story, but this was one disappointing lunch.

1  Thank REH999
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The setting is filled with beautiful,diverse works of art. The food is five-star gourmet, the wine selection excellent, and the serving staff are knowledgeable, attentive, and friendly without being intrusive. The cellar is a fun place to just be. The crab cakes were fresh, crisp on the outside and sweet/delicate on the inside. The mushroom risotto was rich and hearty. The oysters and the house-made sauce were unbeatable. The salmon was flavorful, a generous cut, and the puree of olives at the edges were mouth-watering. The scallops were grilled to perfection and served with a rich and tender Forbidden rice that complemented the delicate, flavor-full scallops. The peach tart and the wine tapioca were perfect endings as the end of evening treats. Every plate was a work of art, as beautiful to behold as the works of art on the walls. Do not miss this little gem!

3  Thank doug h
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I went here with a small group of friends, one of whom had recommended it. The friend who had recommended it is in the wine growing business and had been impressed with the food and the wine list on several previous visits. It certainly met our expectations. Our waiter was very familiar with the wines and made an excellent recommendation. The menu selection, while not large, had something for most tastes. I will go back.

1  Thank tjanderson5
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Great discovery upon recommendation from a friend. We had 7:30 reservations but were early and the very friendly owner found us a table. Loved the waiter Ash and have recommended this to many friends.

1  Thank 1041guy