“Comfortable, quiet, clean, typical Residence Inn but needs updating”

Residence Inn San Ramon
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in San Ramon
London, United Kingdom
“Comfortable, quiet, clean, typical Residence Inn but needs updating”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

This Residence Inn is set up as a number of small apartment buildings which is rather pleasant and gives a quiet ambiance to the place. It is located within walking distance of shops and several restaurants which is perfect.
Due to a water leak I experienced rooms the the ground floor and on the second floor. Both rooms was clean and comfortable, the one on ground floor definitely looked quite tired and in need of work. It did seem bigger than the room on the second floor which felt as if it had too much furniture in it. WiFi was OK at the standard rate, but significantly faster if you opted to pay extra. Limited choice of channels available on TV.
Breakfast was atypical of the brand which is fine but does could do with a bit of variety from day to day.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Jeff S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Ramon, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel. It is so great that we are able to get honest feedback from our guests on their stays with us and we appreciate it. Being able to share this with our staff gives us a chance to find ways to improve our amenities, service and condition of the property so that we can provide an even better future stay.
Thanks again for the feedback and we hope that you will stay with us again when you are in San Ramon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Michigan
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I will give it a 3.5 stars if I can but it's not a 4 star for us.

We had the 1 king with sofabed.

The good:
1. The room is spacious and looks like the room part is newly renovated.
2. The location is pretty good, close to restaurants (Buffalo Wild Wings, Asian, Japanese, Thai, Indian, etc.).
3. Workers are friendly and helpful.
4. Breakfast options are good. Some hot food like scrambled eggs, potatoes, MYO waffles, along with regular continental food such as muffins, cereal, yogurt and such.

The bad:
1. Bathroom didn't seem to be renovated. And the hot water was almost non existent.
2. The fruit during breakfast is very iffy, they tasted really weird. I don't know where they came from but I would be weary eating them.
3. Laundry room is near Building 15. So if you anticipate using their laundry facility I suggest you request a room near that building.
4. The sofa bed really wasn't that comfy.
5. We stayed in the room to nap on our last day and heard a bunch of workers doing something behind our room. It was noisy enough to wake us up from a nap.

The weird:
As soon as you check in they will charge your credit card your full amount plus incidentals.
I've traveled a lot and never remembered this practice until we stayed in this hotel.
I know hotels usually charge a small amount to make sure that the card has funds but I've never heard them charging a full amount + incidental in the beginning of the stay.

Also, I don't know if everyone is aware that this residence inn is set up like small apartment buildings not a hotel. So your door is going to open directly to the outside of the building.
If your room is not situated in the main building you will have to walk outside to the main building for your breakfast.
We didn't know this, so it was kind of a surprise. Not a huge issue but wasn't what we're expecting.

Overall it is an ok hotel. I would give it a solid 3.5.

Room Tip: Get room near Building 15 if you want to use the laundry room. I think they said it's $1.50 per...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Jeff S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Ramon, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Residence Inn San Ramon.

We appreciate both the positive and constructive feedback on your stay. We take great pride in ensuring our guests' satisfaction. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. I will share your comments with our staff and make sure that focus is put into these areas you mentioned.

Thanks again and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Marysville, California
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I had a reservation, got into town late, but check in was a breeze! Very pleasant employees. My room was easy to get to and when I walked in....WOW! It was like a small apartment! Kitchen, living room, spacious sleeping area and large bathroom. Lots of space.

I only stayed one night. This place would be great for extended stays, as well. They will go grocery shopping for you! That is one of the many services they offer.

Lots of dining close, Starbucks right across the street! The hotels breakfast buffet was fresh and yummy.

I'll definitely be staying here again...Enjoy!

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong. I stayed in 312 and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Jeff S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Ramon, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
When our hotel turns out to be a "Pleasant Surprise" for our guests, it really makes our day!! So glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to serving you again in the future! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
Oregon City, Oregon
Reviewed 18 December 2013

When I traveled for work, I used to stay at extended stay properties like this one when I my stays were 4 days in length or more. Most extended stay properties, ( from my experiences ), are pretty quiet and feel a bit 'sterile'. This property was clean and well managed and though we were only here for two nights, it worked out better than we had expected for our needs where we arrived late each night and left early each morning.

Room Tip: The property caters mostly to professionals and travelers going to, ( and from ), Chevron's Worl...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Jeff S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Ramon, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your positive experience at the San Ramon Residence Inn by Marriott!! We look forward to serving you again in the future when you next visit San Ramon.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed at the San Ramon Residence Inn for two nights as we attended a family wedding. We booked a sudio which was quite large and completely updated. The layout of the room was great! The bed was very comfortable. We typically stay in more upscale hotels but would stay here again without hesitation. Close to everything. I did not participate in the breakfast but my husband did and said it was typical--nothing special.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor as nobody is below you. Make sure you get a updated room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jeff S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Ramon, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your positive experience at our hotel during your family wedding visit!! I'm so pleased that you enjoyed a wonderful stay and I hope that the wedding was a wonderful time spent with family and friends, old and new!!!
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed in this hotel during a visit to our San Ramon office. It is in a good location with many shops/restaurants nearby. The walking trail is a bonus. The breakfast is OK. The rooms are your usual residence inn rooms but these were even darker than your usual hotel room. There were 3 different lights in the kitchen and it was still dark!
The bed is not overly comfortable but the shower had good water pressure.
Overall, not bad. What was frustrating was the room key becoming demagnitized. No matter where I put it - in my pocket, in my purse away from the cell phone, held in my hand - I had to have them give me new keys each day.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts of our hotel on your stay with us. I apologize for the frustrating experience you encountered with your room keys. We recently changed over to a new key card system earlier this year with better technology, but it sounds as though challenges still existed on your visit. Thanks for staying with us and we hope that you will return on your next visit to San Ramon!
Los Angeles
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Compared to other Residence Inns I have stayed in this one needs a face lift. You know what to expect from a Residence Inn but the San Ramon location falls short. Yes the rooms are spacious and clean, the complimentary breakfast is fine, but the mattress in my room was way too soft. Television offers fewer channels, there was no TV channel menu, no night light in the bath. The tiny shelf in the shower was too small to hold soap and shampoo and slanted down so it wouldn't hold either. The sliding closet doors didn't slide. The fitness room is a joke. Claustrophobic with antiquated aerobic machines; one each..a stair climber, treadmill and exercycle. No weights, no towels. The wireless internet is slow but offers an "upgrade" for additional cost. Other Residence Inns I stay at don't try to upsell the internet connection. There was no elevator to the second floor. Parking spots are narrow. On the plus side it is quiet if you are away from the major boulevard and there is a major shopping plaza across the street with many restaurants, grocery store, nail spa, Starbucks, etc.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback on your September stay with us. I appreciate being able to share this with my staff so that we can look for ways to improve upon our property and make it even better in the future...like the brand new exercise equipment that has been put into our fitness room to keep up with changing workout trends. Or the extra bandwidth base that we have recently added to our internet to enhance the download and streaming speeds for our guests. I hope that you will give us another try in the future and make use of the improvements that we have made for you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Ramon
Best Western Danville Sycamore Inn
Residence Inn Pleasanton
Residence Inn Pleasanton
#6 of 14 in Pleasanton

Been to Residence Inn San Ramon? Share your experiences!