“Outstanding sandwiches!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sebastian General Store

Sebastian General Store
Ranked #8 of 14 things to do in San Simeon
More attraction details
Owner description: Sebastian's in Old San Simeon Village, across Highway 1 from the entrance to Hearst Castle, is a well-known casual eatery. Serving up the very best Heart Ranch burgers, salads and sandwiches - guests from all over can enjoy a bite to eat on the deck with an ocean view or inside the cafe with historic photographs of the Hearst Ranch and Castle. Our historic building has been a general store in the village since 1873 when Leopold Frankl opened one to sell supplies to whalers, miners, dairy farmers and those who transported products in or out by ship.
Northern NJ
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“Outstanding sandwiches!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

The information desk attendant at Hearst Castle recommended this as "the place where all the locals go" near to the property. I can see why. The sandwiches they made were excellent and very generous on portion size. The only real negative is that the lines are fairly long, although no surprise as I guess word gets around!

Visited July 2013
2 Thank RoyLScam

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“I wouldn't go back.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

The queue was rather long but we decided to stay due to a recommendation despite the signs that say 'if you are in a hurry maybe go elsewhere' we waited over an hr in the queue as it moved at a snails pace, not sure why as all you do is order your food and pay, you then have to wait for your food at a table. Would be much better if they could take orders much faster so you could wait comfortably at a table. There are lots and lots of bees about and one flew into my drink, I asked if I could have another and was told ' you can if you pay for it' as you can imagine I was less than impressed. There is 1 toilet which serves males and females so had to queue again, the toilet is situated in an outer building, a bit like a shed. The toilet was dirty with no toilet
paper and a filthy floor. If this is 'the best place around' as described by a local, I would hate to see their worst. I won't be forwarding this recommendation to anyone else I know, I'm sure they have better ways to spend an afternoon. The food was actually very good but not worth the wait.

Visited July 2013
5 Thank Lynne J
Mission Viejo, California, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Huge and yummy food, prepare to wait, but worth it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

Such huge and yummy food. I ordered the Big Sur Vegetable sandwich. It was the biggest sandwich I'd ever seen. What a cute place. The wait is long but if you're not in a hurry it's worth it.

Visited June 2013
Los Angeles, California
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Consider sharing a plate!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

The line was long but the staff was helpful and friendly. The food was worth it and the setting was sublime. We ate outside on picnic tables looking across the beautiful fields past a quaint old church and up the hill to the Castle. There were gentle horses nearby that my kids petted while waiting for our food -- which was fresh and tasty. Very memorable.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank PaulaLB
Los Angeles, California
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Nom nom nom!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

My friends and I went to Hearst Castle few weekends ago and we were more excited about going to Sebastian's for lunch than actually visiting Hearst Castle. THE PORTIONS ARE HUGE. Even the salads are ginormous. Sebastian's made the best onion rings I had in my life. My only complaint (and it's not even that big of a deal): please print better menus!! They write everything on the chalk board and it's very hard to see (especially for people standing in line in the back).

Visited February 2013