“Excellent theatre and video...be warned if you have motion sickness issues.”

Hearst Castle Theater
Ranked #12 of 15 things to do in San Simeon
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This video is a must see before taking a tour of Hearst Castle. The history is invaluable to your experience on the tour and appreciation for what you are about to see. I've seen the movie twice. My only warning is that because of the big screen and the arial shots this video may make you motion sick. I had to close my eyes during much of the video because I felt like I was going to fall out of my seat or be sick. My mom was the same way. Certain scenes made us both feel quite nauseated. I'm glad I saw the movie for the history but will definitely avoid it on future visits.

2  Thank CloverElizabeth

Reviewed 30 April 2013

The IMAX movie is outrageous. We particularly enjoyed the airplane scenes. You get the impression you're flying.

2  Thank DeniSandi
Reviewed 23 April 2013

They tell you to show up 20 minutes before the tour, but to see the movie first you need to be there an hour before your tour. If you can see the movie first as it answers a lot of questions and sets up others to ask the tour guide about. The movie is typical NG great photography and well narrated. WR as the guides refer to William Randolph was an imposing man of 6'4" and heavy; however, he was quite shy around crowds. You better understand the man versus the myth with the combination of the movie, the guide information and the visual tour of the second floor especially. The movie comes with the price of the ticket. See it before as you may be too tired after the tour.

5  Thank James H
Reviewed 24 March 2013

See this movie before you take the trip up to Hearst Castle. Gives good history on the Hearst family, the making of their "empire" and the story behind and building of the Castle. The movie is included when you purchase a tour ticket.

3  Thank barbararob
Reviewed 8 September 2012

This great adventure tale begins with the small airplane swooping over gorgeous coastal hills dotted with giant oaks. The film is so well made and it tells the story of Hearst and the building of the great castle so well and in such an involving fashion! It feels like an Indiana Jones adventure from the start to finish. It added so much to the tour experience to see this film first. I love that this film has been done is such a way as to inform and educate while entertaining so thoroughly. Bravo!

5  Thank Ladida12