“Great place for an overnight stay when going to see Hearst Castle”
Review of Sea Breeze Inn

Sea Breeze Inn
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed here as we had reservations for Hearst castle in the morning. WE were driving up the central coast and arrived after dark. The hotel is conveniently located on highway 1 and is easily seen from the road, even at night. We had picked up a bottle of good California wine and some cheese and chocolates in Morro Bay and enjoyed them in our room that night. There aren't many dining options in the area in the evening. The next morning we got up and enjoyed the breakfast and left for Hearst castle which is about 5 miles north of the hotel. This was the cheapest hotel we stayed in during our drive up the coast and it was fine and served its purpose well. We got to Hearst castle for an early morning tour before the crowds started to arrive. By the time we left, around 11:30 the place was already packed. i recommend staying the night in town and hitting Hearst castle first thing in the morning.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Our family stayed here since everything else was booked. Priced at about $250/nt which is INSANE for the quality. Nicer hotels in the area for the same price on the same weekend (we moved after one night here and found much better accommodations).

Furniture is dated, bathroom looked tired and everything felt a bit dirty. Not enough lights in the room, cramped and small, and the walls were paper thin. I could hear every word being said in the next room.

Now for the HORRIBLE part. At around 11pm, sewage started pumping back out from the sink, and flooded the bathroom and the floor! After it stopped, we soaked up the floor since our children were sleeping to deal with it in the morning. They wouldn't give us a refund or discount for this terrible experience. Horrible customer service.

Awful stay, bad service - this place was the biggest rathole ever. Stay somewhere else! Consider yourself warned.

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed 15 August 2014

From the ranking of #2 in San Simeon, I was expecting a much nicer place! We were on the second floor, but there was no breeze unless you had the bathroom window open. Midnight there was a horrible smell that came in so we shut the windows but there was no air conditioner or fan to move the air. Room adequate. Bed was clean, but bathroom was so small and like what you might have in a mtn. cabin. If the room had been $75, you would say it was worth it. The breakfast was minimal. No fruit and two poor choices of cereal. Eating outside on the patio, the place appeared in need of new paint and pots of dead flowers on patio. The pool was dirty and no way would I have put a foot in it.

My advice..pay more and stay somewhere else. I seriously question the ranking!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ohsouthernlady
Reviewed 4 August 2014

It was a less scenic drive as I noticed my beloved West Coast so parched. However, this little hotel, the Sea Breeze Inn, in San Simeon, CA was a welcome sanctuary to the severest of CA droughts in my lifetime. I was very impressed with the quality, price, location, and other amenities, but I had a “knee-jerk” reaction to the absence of any air conditioning. This turned out to be one of the hotel’s most unique features. I remembered my introductory Earth Science to help me make sense of this. The CA current is always cooler than our East Coast neighbors who have the Gulf Stream which is always warmer and more humid. In the Northern Hemisphere, the circulation of the Ocean’s currents move in a clockwise direction along the Pacific Rim. So the CA current is always cooler as it brings cooler water from the Polar region. Water heats and cools slower than land and therefore, the Ocean has the most temperature regulating influence along the coasts. The hotel is located just right to take advantage of this natural occurrence. So I’m glad I didn’t complain about this saving myself the embarrassment of not recalling my basic scientific knowledge before I spoke. I did however, brag to many of my friends and associates who were enduring triple digit heat as I was enjoying a constant 67°, even in mid-day. This made for one of the most peaceful and restful sleeps I had in a long time without the aid of a machine for my comfort as well as doing my part for energy conservation. Temperature is not in itself a reason to stay a day longer than I planned. They’re also conveniently located south of Hearst Castle and north of nearby, Cambria, a small tourist town with plenty of shops and art to choose from. The service was excellent with breakfast available till 9:30 a.m. Free Wi-Fi that didn’t have any problems and a Toshiba Flat screen with “3” HDMI’s that I took advantage of. They’ve definitely earned me as a repeat customer.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Older motel that is close to the highway but the bath was in front & the room to the rear so you did not hear any traffic noise. You could hear your neighbors a bit but nothing terrible to disturb your sleep. Ocean view was nice. Furniture & everything was clean & nice. Bathroom was good. The only thing was the breakfast which was in the lobby & had a few tables outside. The space was cramped with a small round table. There are sweet rolls & a small waffle maker or cold cereal. There was almost no milk left at all & I was not late in getting there for breakfast. The employee saw it & did not bring more. I used it quick since had no idea if they would bring more or not. My friend went to breakfast after me & had to ask for more milk. Otherwise not bad for the money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank refereemom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Fine accommodations located close to Hearst Castle, Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery [note to nature lovers = don't miss this year round attraction], and Cambria [home of the highly recommended Medusa's Mexican Restaurant].

Spacious room [#119], comfortable bed [including pillows], clean, well stocked bathroom with plenty of hot water. Spent a quiet night here.

Bonus = windows that open up to the outside to face a limited view of the Pacific Ocean and allow in the cool ocean breeze. No air conditioner needed.

Adequate breakfast served with limited choices = waffles, toast, cereal, orange juice, bananas, coffee, and milk,

Polite reminder to the uninitiated, especially those travelling in large groups = it is considered good form here to clear your table and properly dispose your trash after you finish eating your meal . Please be considerate and respectful to your host and fellow guests, especially during peak dining hours.

Safe travels to all.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 46Lil
Reviewed 27 July 2014

After reading the reviews and looking at the pictures I thought a quick night there wouldn't be an issue. I booked the room the same night while on the road. I was surprised on how small the breakfast area is in lobby. It looks much bigger in the pictures. The furniture in the room also looks nicer in the pictures but once in room I was surprised at quality. Yes they had new TV's but they weren't getting HD tv so the shows were only on half the screen. There were moths in the room when I arrived

Disappointed and surprised people put it at #2. The pool was dirty and I wouldn't have gone in it.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for one of the other hotels. It doesn't matter if you are on the ocean side...