“Just what I wanted”

San Simeon Lodge
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife stayed for 1 night for an early departure up to Hearst Castle. Our room was clean and spacious and we slept well after a long drive from Reno. The value of the room was as good as the French toast that we had for breakfast and would stay there again over and over.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 June 2014

An older hotel that was clean and reasonably well maintained. Nothing fancy, but we had a second floor room with a view of the ocean. Good value for the money. Restaurant served a good breakfast. Very close to Hurst Castle.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room for view if you don't mind stairs. Northern buildings are away from poo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Ok, so it's a tired motel - that's for certain. Yes, the beds are reasonable and the shower pretty much works. But, and here's that but, with the amount of alternative lodgings in the immediate area I really think San Simeon Lodge need to do something to up their game.

I'm not sure if it was the hair in the bath, the unbelievably noisy in-room fridge, the flatter than flat pillows or the 50 sugars to 2 coffee sachets (no tea, no hot chocolate) that got me feeling disgruntled about my stay. It may have been the non-working fan in the very hot room, I just can't be sure.

If you're not fussy and just want a bed for the night at a decent (ish) price, this will do. If you want something a little more - shop around.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Needs a visit from Anthony Melchiorri. Clean, which is nice, but very tired looking. Half finished improvements to the deck and railing. Carpet on the stairs is torn and an obvious trip hazard. The shower had very low pressure and little hot water. While it sits back away from the road, the neighbors behind the hotel had peacocks which made up for the lack of road noise. Sorry to say, I would not stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Yes the motel is old, but rooms were clean, beds comfortable. The food in the restaurant was good. We went to the bar for karaoke and had a great time. Lots of locals, Elvis came around and personally greeted everyone. Staff is friendly. This is a 5 star 2 star lodge.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Corrie V
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I went there in may with 3 friends, just 1 night. They gave us a room and went we were going to have some dinner and close the door, thanks that I checked the knob as it was broken; the door closed bu the lock didn't. We had to change to a different room and we went to the restaurant next to which I don't know if it belonged to the hotel. I just have to say that after 1 hour waiting for the food most of the clients left the place except for us and after all the waiting they gave us a discount.
Also I asked in an email if they had laundromat and when I got there it was broken. I wont' go back there but maybe it was just the day and the rest of the days the place works perfectly

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank MONICA T
Reviewed 4 June 2014

San Simeon is the closest (2 minutes) lodging hamlet to Hearst Castle. 10 minutes south is the larger village of Cambria with more lodging choices especially 20 or so along Moonstone Beach Drive.

San Simeon Lodge is a dated property with decent dated rooms for a reasonable price. Don't expect fancy. When I was there in April they were painting but I couldn't tell if they were embarking on a major upgrade. Call.

The room was clean and fine. I never felt as though I couldn't take off my socks to walk around the room. Internet was iffy but it is a fairly remote locale. There is a restaurant on the property as well as a terribly overpriced little store.

It is located across the highway from the gorgeous beaches of San Simeon. If you have time, partake of them for their scenic beauty. Across the street there is a Best Western Plus...the Cavalier where I have had many clients stay. It has a very good restaurant with quality food and excellent service. There is also the Morgan (named after Julia Morgan) named after the woman who worked with Hearst to design Hearst Castle. The Morgan is an excellent hotel and steps above the San Simeon Lodge. Excellent continental breakfast and lodgings.

Since I am a tour guide, we stay at the cheapest possible places and I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the SS Lodge though the Motel 6 100 yards south is still my favorite for cheap lodging.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
#6 of 12 in Cambria
Quality Inn San Simeon
Quality Inn San Simeon
#9 of 10 in San Simeon

Been to San Simeon Lodge? Share your experiences!