“Love this place.”

Ragged Point Inn and Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 San Simeon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 March 2010

This was our second stay here, both times for 2 nights and in the same room (#9). The view from that room is exceptional and worth what is charged. We had a special package that included meals and we were able to order anything from the menu. The food is good but not outstanding. The views, the beautiful landscaping, the friendly staff, the sound of the surf, the proximity to the central coast cities, the privacy all make up for the older furnishings and less than plush mattress and the mediocre towels. We plan to return next year.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mongooAtascadero

Reviewed 24 February 2010

Was planning a trip to Ragged Point for next month and saw these reviews. . . wow!
I remember it was sort of old and not too clean when we stayed there two years ago, but I was secretly hoping they had maybe remodelled the units. Obviously not!!! We'll be looking for a place in Cambria instead.
Too bad, though, it could be a really nice retreat place.
Hopefully management will take these lousy reviews to heart and start with that very badly needed facelift - without raising their prices even more :)

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank MsMisurina
Reviewed 9 February 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of October. I was at this place for a wedding. There was no AC in any of the rooms and my room and other rooms my fellow wedding guests stayed in were infested with flies!

When I went to the front desk to complain about the flies and ask for some sort of remedy I was met with complete INDIFFERENCE. The aging hippie-like woman I spoke to at the front desk tried to explain the flies away as some sort of eco-phenomon that I just did not "get". When I pressed for a solution she lamely said, "Well I could give you an electric fan for your room." When I asked would that get rid of the flies, she answered, "No I guess not. Sorry."

I paid $250 a night to stay at this dump. What a horrific waste of money. I will say the location is beautiful but the accomodations are awful. Plus the people who work there do not care at all when they guests are dissastified or unhappy.

I advise any and all to avoid this dump like the PLAGUE!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank sgsflorida
Reviewed 23 January 2010

My husband and I were driving down the coast, intending to find someplace around Cambria, when we saw this inn. We stopped, and I'm glad we did. They gave us the internet rate even though we had not reserved a room in advance. We stayed in a cliffside room, and while the furnishings were a little dated, this added to the charm. The room was heated by a gas fireplace, which was operated by a thermostat on the wall. The rom was large, and I found the bed comfortable. We ate at the restaurant at the inn. The food was average, but the service was very good. Breakfast in the morning was good. We walked around the gardens and admired the view of the coast after breakfast. The gardens were lovely. If you are looking for a 5 star resort, this is not the place for you. This inn has a slightly rustic California coastal vibe that I really liked.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ehdriscoll
Reviewed 25 December 2009

We had just driven the Big Sur Highway 1 and had been driving the whole day, it was dark and this was the first large motel we saw that had vacancies. The rate was $129 room only (plus tax) and they were busy with similar travelers. This was the most expensive accomodation during our three week trip but not great value for money. They actually call it a Resort, but definitely only a one-nighter. The photos in their advertising were very attractive, but not in reality. There were rooms with a cliff top view for $20 more per night but you can walk around a path with better views, which we did in the morning. As we arrived at night when there was no view to be seen we opted for a standard room. Our room was located upstairs (above the reception lobby) and was large, clean but old decor. The bed was comfortable and the room was reasonably quiet during the night but during the busy times of check in/out you heard all the comings and goings. The restaurant was ok but the menu was mainly larger meals which did not suit late at night. They also have a small gift shop with snacks. There was a reasonable range of food for breakfast. There were dozens of hummingbirds flying around the flowerbeds near the entrance which was just amazing to watch - in fact we didn’t see anything like it during our whole trip - not even in the zoos or aviaries!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robnshaz
Reviewed 3 November 2009

We had a terrible stay. We were placed in a room next to a wild and crazy wedding reception, where several members of the United States Navy, otherwise known as drunken sailors, proceeded to make a huge amount of noise right in our back patio. We complained. No result, other than a lame response that this would be reported to the resident owners of Ragged Point. This was not the sailors' fault, it was Ragged Point management, and at $30/night it was inexcusable. The night was Aug 15, 2009.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank mgregoire
Reviewed 21 October 2009

What a mixed bag of reviews this place gets. It always seems that it is the view that keeps this place highly regarded. When we were at the hotel, for on enight, we never saw further than 100 yards so the view was never going to affect our assessment.

Check-in was painless; not fast, not efficient, but friendly and relaxing. Remember you are not in a city centre and should be here to unwind. Unkind and stupid comments elesewhere on this site suggest that things could be quicker, slicker and more up-to-date. I could never agree with such sentiment when staying in such a location. We found things charming, comfortable and extremely satisfactory.

Room was number 23, overlooking the cliff. Was old-fashioned and probaly contained everything original from date of construction in the 1960s? This said, it all worked, all was clean (SPOTLESS!) and perfectly adequate. We loved it!

We had a great night of sleep but would have appreciated some extra pillows to hand.

Ate and the nearby associated restaurant so have reviewed separately.

Good value considering the cost.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
#8 of 12 in Cambria
Blue Dolphin Inn
Blue Dolphin Inn
#1 of 12 in Cambria

Been to Ragged Point Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!