“We will come back - very nice experience”

The Morgan at San Simeon
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chico, California
“We will come back - very nice experience”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Tasteful & classy for that rate. I was impressed with the staff and the customer service we recieved. The room was wonderful - second floor in the second building. We were on the ocean side, 3 bay windows that opened, a ceiling fan, a gas fireplace & 2 very comfortable queen beds. There's a small fridge, but no microwave in the room. The Mexican restaurant between the main building & the second building was great. We did take out. Crab tacos - exceptionally good. The weather was amazing so we left the windows open all night. There are buildings between the hotel & the beach, but you can still see the ocean. The sound of the waves was wonderful.

Breakfast buffet in the morning was in the main lobby. Small area, croweded with guests, but I took a tray back to our room. Basic breakfast, but nice selection.

We stayed the night after Christmas so we could go to the Castle the next morning. Great location. I did a survey emailed to me by the Morgan after our stay & mentioned that there is no elevator in that second building & lugging our bags up one fairly short flight of stairs was unexpected. The manager emailed me back personally & apologized for not having someone available to help with the bags. I was impressed & will stay again if we're in that area. Next time we'll stay 2 nights!

Green Features: They seemed to be actively working to use green practices.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sydnem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Nothing special about this hotel . It was clean and tidy rooms where dated but comfortable . The price was right . They through in a continental breakfast which is also ok . In all honesty all the hotels and inns in San Simenon are just ok . I suggest stay in nearby Cambria it has much more to offer and is still near the castle .

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Nahant, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

I booked through hotels.com and the morgan booked me for 2 rooms instead of one and at check in i told them it was a mistake and they would NOT refund me! I was with my son and clearly would not book 2 rooms! I was out 147 for the other room. I was so upset and management did not care one bit. The location was a bit sketchy and the building we stayed in was scary. I AM WARNING YOU, its not a good hotel and very bad cust service.

Stayed November 2013
4 Thank nahantvisitor
TheMorgan, General Manager at The Morgan at San Simeon, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Nahant Visitor
I am so very sorry for your experience at The Morgan! I can certainly understand your frustration. We work hard to ensure our guests enjoy the time they spend at The Morgan and to feel that they have received exceptional value for their stay.
You mentioned that you made your reservations through hotels.com. The reason we were unable to make any refunds to you is that when booking through hotels.com, you pay them directly at the time the rooms were reserved, not the hotel.
If you email me personally at gm@hotel-morgan.com, I will be happy to look into your reservation and see if I am able to work with hotels.com.
Best regards,
Michele Berry

Travellers are raving about these San Simeon hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I stayed in the hotel for a few nights beginning on Christmas night, and was delighted by the decorations which made the hotel seem very cheery. My experience was entirely positive - with friendly staff, and the breakfasts and my (deluxe king) room exactly as expected. I enjoyed using the gas fireplace in the evenings and hearing the ocean at night from my 2nd floor, pool/ocean facing room.

It was convenient to have a few restaurants within very short walking distance. And I loved being able to walk (a very few minutes) from the hotel to the nearby beach to watch the sunsets.

Room Tip: A few 2nd floor rooms (such as deluxe king, #263, near center of hallway) directly overlook the pool...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
San Simeon, California
Reviewed 29 December 2013

From the initial contact to the check out, everyone we met was helpful, ready to assist in any way possible. One person stands out. Her name is Becky. She is at the front desk and assisted me with connecting to the internet for flight departure issues. She took time with me while taking care of other duties and never made me feel rushed. All of the employees were always ready to assist but Becky went far above and beyond. As a result of this fine assistance and the condition of your hotel/rooms, etc. I would highly recommend these accomodations to any who asked.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Gisborne, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Lovely rooms and lounge area near reception. ..and served as breakfast dining area which was complimentary. Lovely outdoor pool area. Short stroll to beach to watch the sunrise in hills behind. Interesting framed plans from architect Julia Morgan on the walls.

Room Tip: Our rooms near reception...on ground floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Ontario Canada
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Spacious, clean room and pleasant front desk staff. The breakfast choices were plentiful and good. A short drive to Hearst Castle. Attractive decor relating to the original designs for the castle. The only problem was a noisy refrigerator in the room.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

TheMorgan, General Manager at The Morgan at San Simeon, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Morgan. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our property. I am so sorry about the noisy refrigerator. Could I impose on you to email me at gm@hotel-morgan.com, I would like to make sure we can get that refrigerator repaired or replaced.
Again, thank you for your nice review!
Michele Berry
Courtesy Inn San Simeon
Courtesy Inn San Simeon
#8 of 10 in San Simeon
Cambria Landing Inn & Suites

Been to The Morgan at San Simeon? Share your experiences!