“A welcome surprise”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Cincinnati, Ohio
“A welcome surprise”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We got to San Simeon late last night, with no reservations. Only staying one night, and heading out early in the morning; hadn't planned on being in San Simeon so had not checked out any of the hotels. The Silver Surf looked inviting, the desk clerk was friendly, and the $89 price was enticing. All we hoped for was clean and adequate - so we were delighted to find the room (the handicap accessible room 2 doors from the pool/hot tub building) was perfectly clean with 2 very comfortable beds, an abundance of towels and pillows, newer furniture, flatscreen TV, fridge, microwave, and coffee maker with plenty of supplies. The huge bathroom had a large walk-in shower with a pull-down seat and a handheld as well as a stationary shower head - so safe and easy for me to use, plus best water pressure we have encountered on this trip through CA. We were surprised by the lack of hairdryer, but likely the front desk could have provided one if we had asked. Breakfast not included, but the low cost leaves plenty in the budget to go to one of the restaurants on the hotel strip - but after 4 days of hotel breakfasts in other locations, we opted to go to the mini mart and get cereal, milk, and bananas for the morning. The morning desk clerk was very helpful in pointing us toward local beaches and other activities. We were more than pleased with our random selection and will definitely stay at the Silver Surf again if we return to San Simeon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I don't write many reviews -although I should, I've been traveling since January- I've seen the good, the bad, the beautiful and the ugliest of hotels...but this Motel mind you, really surprised me. It's a gem. First, the price is so reasonable. Second, the staff are laid back and friendly. Third, the rooms, well, they are furnished better than the some of the $225/night hotels I've stayed in, honestly, modern mahogany-like wood and not a knick anywhere. There is a huge matching cabinet unit that the 37" flat screen sits on which makes for perfect cable viewing, and inside it are a fridge and microwave. The bed was dressed with a thick white comforter, super clean sheets (I check them and bring my own just in case), the pillows are big and thick also and do not smell like head grease -disgusting I know, but it's surprising how many hotels forget that. The bed produced one of those rare sleeps where you're so comfortable you don't open your eyes till 11a.m. Carpet was the newest I've seen in a while and also super clean without spots or stains, decor is a cross between elegant and laid back. High vaulted beamed ceilings, a long mirror attached to the wall, modern lamps with outlets that charge all your stuff, granite sinks, and new fangled door looks that caused more than one traveller to crack up at themselves trying to open it, myself included! Which means nobody's going to break in if they can't figure out how to open the door! Love that. There is a balcony off the room overlooking a huge courtyard with scattered chairs to relax in, the ocean can pretty much be seen anywhere if you just step outside, there is a hot tub with incredibly strong jets and lots of steam, and a cool shaped pool which is also warm, both were clean and all indoors. There is a washer/dryer on the premise as well as complimentary computer if you need to get business done. There are very few flaws with this place, actually only one that I can think of, and it's not even worth a complaint, the walls are thin, but really who cares, there are too many other good things it offers that it doesn't warrant complaint. I have had a wonderful experience with Silver Surf, enough that it is where I plan to stay when I come back here. Thumbs up to Silver Surf. A great surprise and well worth the review!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Kell G G
Malibu, California
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I've stayed here several times because the rate is very reasonable and it's very comfortable and quiet (unless there are families with noisy kids). I LOVE the grassy park outside all the rooms, great for dogs and kids, with its pine trees and benches and chairs for sitting to read or just enjoy the "park". The refrigerator works perfectly. The rooms are being upgraded now for a new clean look. Instant hot water is wonderful for our drought! Very nice staff, very clean place, very good housekeeping. I tell all my friends! Try it - I think you'll like it.

Room Tip: The one bedrooms are fairly small, but the 2 bed rooms are a good size.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Brenda N
Diamond Bar, California
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Wow, it is hard to begin, I had booked the King Ocean facing room with a fireplace. It was that, but when we arrived and open the door there was a odd smell. The bathroom window had been left open and I figured the smell was, as it look, a very outdated old smokers hotel room, in which the long lingering smell of cigs had been hard to eliminate. We left for at least 5 hours for Cambria, stopping off on our way back at the hotel next door with the singing Elvis. Around midnight we came back turned on the heater and took showers. When I got into bed the smell was repulsive, it smell like something had died to me and my husband said it smelled like a cat box. All along the coast the hotels had NO vacancy signs, my hair was wet, no blow dryer was supplied, and we were exhausted My husband said he would take that side of the bed. I fell asleep immediately, but my husband could not sleep, as the smell, he stated kept getting stronger, He choose to sleep on the small loveseat coach rather than the bed. He actually did not sleep all night and was going to sleep in the car, but it was very cold and he did not want me to leave me alone in the room. He woke me up when it was still dark outside and said, I cannot take it anymore. We left to Cambria to find an open breakfast place. Went back to the Silver Surf, to check out and complain, left unhappy, was told no-one else had complained about the room and we should of called the desk and they would haved moved us. We stated there was a no vacancy sign at the hotel, and was told that doesn't mean we do not have rooms. We came home on Sunday, by Monday, I have large and many welt type bites on my body, literally all over. If I could attach a picture I would. Went to the Doctor today for cortisone shot, and it is Friday. Now I am scared, did I bring bedbugs home? I DO NOT recommend the Silver Surf Hotel, and will only stay in Cambria, now I have spent more than I would of if I just would of spent the more than the 275. a night they wanted in Cambria, for the most economical room that weekend. Silver Surf hotel cost 125.00 for the room we got, but now I am left with a ruined night, some type of bug bites, and I have at least 35, and was given by the manager, on Monday, when my husband called only 50% off when my husband complained. We were there for our 29 wedding anniversary, he got to sleep on the coach. I do not want to appear cheap, nut I do assume that $125.00 should of least given me a clean, non smelly room. We stay frequently in Cambria and will never stay in San Simeon again.

Room Tip: Dont stay there
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank therapy4Dee

Travellers are raving about these San Simeon hotels

UK
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed here for 1 night and it was very comfortable. The roo. Was big and spacious with doors leading to the gardens.the gentleman that checked us in was really nice and friendly. The only downside was the walls were very thin and the shower was dated and could do with a refurb. All in all happy with our stay

• Stayed April 2014
Reviewed 14 April 2014

After travelling the west coast of california we arrived here by chance and came across this little gem. The family rooms are huge and beautifully clean. Excellent facillities in the room with a fridge, microwave, coffee facilities, tv, seperate bathroom.
Theres an indoor heated pool and spa, sun deck, beautifully maintained garden and laundry room. Breakfast is additional but very cheap and the room price is a bargain!
The only place we've stayed worth reviewing!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Oceano, California
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We enjoyed the indoor pool and spa although it needs upgrading. Room was comfortable. Floors not very clean. Wear your flip flops in the room. The hotel seemed short staffed. We had a problem and the manager was not able to accommodate quickly. Problem was eventually resolved, but manager made us feel like we should have been able to resolve it on our own. We came across some nicer rooms while viewing the rooftop terrace. Later I asked the manager what the rate was for those ocean view rooms next to the rooftop terrace. For $18 more we have surely upgraded. Why were we never asked we wondered, or is it better to leave them empty and rent the cheaper rooms? We understand they are in the process of upgrading and remodeling. All things considered it is still a pretty good value and we plan to return and see the progress. It's a good location. We love the Manta Rey Restaurant a few hundred feet away.

Room Tip: Ask about ocean view rooms upstairs in front by the rooftop terrace.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Fireside Inn on Moonstone Beach
Oceanpoint Ranch
Oceanpoint Ranch
#7 of 12 in Cambria

Been to Silver Surf Motel? Share your experiences!