“Exceeded Expectations”

Cavalier Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Reviewed 6 May 2014

As someone who normally frequents Hilton, Sheraton, Hyatt I have to say from the start this property exceeded expectations entirely. We stayed here one night on our CA trip prior to visiting Hearst Castle. Here is the run down:

Pros:
- Extremely attentive front desk staff
- Amazing location with ocean access and outdoor fireplaces on the beach you smell as you arrive. Incredibly nice and relaxing atmosphere.
- Very clean and spacious rooms with great amenities, good wifi, great desk and TV. Beds were comfortable and we slept very well.
- The on-site restaurant (Cavalier's) was outstanding. Huge portions, excellent service overall.
- Safe was great in a motel of this nature and the amenities basket had tons of great stuff, and the room was well equipped with a nice mini bar and refreshment selection which is nice being that there isn't much else around close to the hotel except for the restaurant.

Cons:
- It does look and feel like a motel with outdoor entrances, parking your car right outside your door, etc. but I did not mind it here at all. You opened your door and looked to the left to see and hear the ocean.

We would absolutely positively stay here again and consider this a BARGAIN for what we paid. I wish the hotels on the remainder of our trip had been this nice!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a fireplace and view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Red_Dolphin-Media
Write a ReviewReviews (2,888)

Reviewed 5 May 2014

From check-in until check-out, my experience here was nothing but wonderful. The location, first of all, is GORGEOUS. Additionally, they have 3 bonfire pits set up daily at 6:00PM for your enjoyment out on the bluffs. Our room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The staff were also very friendly. We called them a number of times with (really) stupid questions and they were more than helpful. Room service was also prompt, though I can't say their pizza is noteworthy.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer T
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The people above us were terrible load, he carpets smelled and I was put in a handicap room. When speaking to the front desk girl, I made a comment about the run and she snickered as if she knew how bad the room was. Also the room was dusty and when I ran my finger over the wood piece above the sliding door, the dust that came off was terrible. We were traveling with a small 10 month old and we felt that the room was dusty, damp and the carpets were terrible. Have no idea why this beach location has carpets in the first place. My wife said she have a little black bug crawl on here. I would only stay here again if I was in a better ocean front room that have a slider and no carpet. But I can imagine this location doesn't have that.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I love this hotel! We had an ocean front view from our balcony. They even provided us with binoculars and two rocking chairs so we could sit and enjoy our view. Hotel staff were friendly, hotel was quiet and clean. In addition to the fireplace in our room, they had firepits along the cliff. I will definitely come back again!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Absolutely delighted with the position of this property - we loved the ocean view from the balcony. The room was well equipped with an extremely comfortable, if a little high, king size bed, comfy armchairs for winter time and fan for summer. Very happy with the facilities but wonder why they have a 4pm check-in - seems rather late to me. Those with an early check out don't get much use of the aforementioned facilities.

Lovely, relaxing spot and I would return in a heart beat!

Room Tip: Pay extra and get an ocean view with balcony
1  Thank NomadPerth
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Cavalier oceanfront resort, Best Western Plus in San Simeon California. The only thing plus about this property is the location. My recent stay rated a minus. Some of the rooms have beautiful ocean views, if you’re able to get one, rewards program status and preferences have no influence here. At check in I was the only customer present and it took all of 20 minutes to get registered, I ended up sitting in my car to wait. When you do finally get your room WATCH YOUR STEP. The thresholds in the doorways are raised about 3-4 inches. My wife took a header walking in the door. It seems to me this hazard could be a code violation. As for amenities for the traveler, No continental breakfast, No Refrigerator, No microwave, but they are happy to push the onsite restaurant and mini bar! We thought we would go relax in the hot tub, our room was very near the pool area but to our surprise no hot tub there. Now let’s talk about pet friendly, we noted many guests brought their four legged family members. Would it make any sense to designate one of the buildings for guests with pets? Our relaxing get away was abruptly cut short when a barking, no yapping Jack Russell in the next room was left alone. 45 minutes later there was no getting back to sleep, it was early check out and back home. The manager on duty made it a point to let me know I was the only complaint she received, how dare she!!! If I made that kind of racket in my room I would have been asked to leave. In all fairness the bed was comfortable if you could sleep through the noise, oh did I mention the bath tub didn’t drain while showering. If I had paid for this stay I would be furious, but I had earned a free night voucher for this stay …and I left feeling RIPPED OFF!

Room Tip: Motel 6 is down the street and is a much greater value in comp
1  Thank 460JohnG460
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed at the BW PLUS Cavalied for 2 nights in April and were very reluctant to leave. The property is not only located directly on the ocean but is well-maintained, and has great staff. Our room was on the second floor of the ocean-facing building and the views were breathtaking. We enjoyed watching Surfers, seals, and even a gray whale from the comfort of our private balcony. The room was quite large, very clean, and the bathroom had been recently renovated with granite, new tile and high-end fixtures. And the wood-burning stove was a real treat, as the evenings tended to be a little cool. Restaurant attached to the hotel is also very good - no need to jump in you car to seek out alternatives. All of the staff members we bumped into were quite friendly and eager to assist. Should also mention that we really enjoyed the evening tour at the Hearst Castle, which are only offered in the Spring and Fall. Attaching (I hope!) two pictures of the view from our room.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 mi away
Sea Otter Inn
Sea Otter Inn
#3 of 12 in Cambria

Been to Cavalier Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!