“Nothing special.”

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Limerick
“Nothing special.”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here in June 2014 for 1 night.
Not much to say about this place. Rooms were clean and tidy, but could probably do with a renvoation. We were given 237, which was on the ground floor, so we were able to park right outside the door, making it easier with our bags.
Front desk staff member was polite but seemed quite uninterested in us.
Free Wi-Fi was not really fast, but was appreciated nonetheless.
We were not told about any local restaurants or bars, even though the hotel did not offer any food etc, except for an American breakfast for $7.50, that we were not told about either.
Useful place to stay if you are on the way down the Pacific Coastal Highway, as Hearst Castle is close by, and Cambria is 5-10 minutes down the road.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

A single night stay after visiting Hearst Castle, I was very happy with our room. Three double beds in a large room with a table and four chairs for a decent value in price it made for comfort for our family of 5 with two teens and an adult son. The shower head was a little low but that would honestly be my only complaint, the location was good right across from the beach and we all got a comfy night's sleep.

• Stayed June 2014
Stockton, California
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I'll start by agreeing with some other recent positive reviews. This motel has a good location on the Central Coast, very close to Hearst Castle and Cambria. The room was spacious, clean and quiet with comfortable beds and plenty of hot water. For the ridiculously low price, you couldn't really ask for more.

That said, I do have some less positive observations to share. Having internet availability is important to me. If an inn doesn't offer free wi-fi, I won't stay there. This place advertises free wi-fi, but they did not deliver. The wi-fi was utterly useless. I logged on, my computer showed that I was connected with excellent signal strength, but that simply was not true. I had nothing! They let me down. A visit to the front desk did not solve the problem.
If you plan on keeping ice cream in the in-room freezer, don't, unless you like soup!
The indoor pool is a bit small, but that's okay. The water was clear, which you'd expect when you enter the pool area and are nearly knocked over by the massive chlorine smell. Over-chlorination notwithstanding, there is a ring around the pool! Around the entire perimeter of the pool, there is four inches of grunge on the tile just above the surface of the water. I guess it's been there for awhile, because folks have scratched their names in it, as well as words like "filth" and "wash me", Nasty! Tip: the towels are at the front desk (you won't find any in the pool area itself).
One last nitpick - we got one bar of soap which disintegrated literally within seconds. I couldn't believe it! Seriously. I started to lather it up and it broke into five pieces!

Finally, I'll agree with a reviewer who stated that the bathroom fan was loud. Ours (room 235) sounded like a small tractor! And I'll disagree with the reviewer who felt that the breakfast was advertised as free. I was very clear that breakfast was $7. That was clearly stated in a couple of places. Given the overall experience we'd had, we opted to drive into Cambria for breakfast rather than see what seven bucks would get us here ;)

In conclusion, we did get exactly what we paid for, a clean comfortable room at a low, low price. If you need more amenities, this might be be your best option.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LovesFlorence
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I've only stayed one night here on my way to Hears Castle. I appreciated the personal help in changing rooms as the first had some AC problems, the tea/coffee in the room.
Both the Bathroom and the room were big, with everything you need around - TC, table near the window.. etc

Room Tip: Choose a room near the Highway to see the ocean!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Southern California
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This hotel was a great deal. The place was clean and the beds were comfortable. They have a nice indoor pool. The room was also spacious. The bathroom was a little small but it's not like you needs a lot of room in there. The best part about this hotel is they have air conditioning!!! Not many places in San Simeon have it so I was excited to find it. The hotel is right next door to a decent restaurant. The restaurant was a little on the pricey side for dinner but that's to be expected from a place serving tourists. Go to nearby Cambria for better dining experience.

In summary, for a family on a budget this is a great hotel. We stayed two nights and had no problems.

Room Tip: We were upstairs and it seemed like we made a lot of noise when we walked. I would suggest being ups...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank carissa125
Haines City, Florida
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

It's not very often that we disagree with the the fine folks that review for trip advisor but we really did on this one. Apparently there are some remodeled rooms somewhere and we didn't get one. Our room 223 was disgusting at best. The free wifi never worked - not for one second and their American Breakfast - advertised on their sign - right next to free wifi, implying that it is free was NOT FREE. The fan/light in the bathroom made so much noise we were afraid to turn it on in the morning when we got up (6:15) for fear of waking up the entire hotel. Everytime we flushed the toilet it ended with a very loud wheezing noise. The clock radio, even though off, crackled until we finally unplugged it. The batteries for the remote were almost dead making it hard to change between the "free HBO" and 12 other channels.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 2old2work

Travellers are raving about these San Simeon hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Great value for money. Clean. Comfortable. Pool was lovely after a day on the road. The restaurant next door was handy with the 10% discount for dinner, and $7 breakfast. We could hear every step of the neighbours upstairs, but fortunately they left at 5 am and we could go back to sleep :) A good find for an overnight stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Fireside Inn on Moonstone Beach
San Simeon Lodge
San Simeon Lodge
#2 of 10 in San Simeon

Been to Courtesy Inn San Simeon? Share your experiences!