“Better than I thought”

Quality Inn San Simeon
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Our first impression of the hotel was that it was run down and needed repairs. The rooms however, were clean and the staff was really nice. It was quiet and we were able to get a good nights sleep. The price was high ($200 a night), for what it was, but overall is was a good experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JoAnna F

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Overall, this hotel was better than I thought it would be.

The rooms look to have been updated recently, and look fairly decent. The room itself is clean, with the exception of the carpet/tile, which is in great need of a thorough shampoo/mopping. Wear flip flops or socks. The main room is a decent size.

The bathroom area is tiny, so I wouldn't recommend that more than two people share a room-if you're traveling as a family, it's going to be a tight squeeze. The water pressure is extremely poor. I have long, thick hair and it took me a looooonnnng time to get all of the shampoo/conditioner rinsed out.

The TV does have cable, but it took some finagling for me to get an actual channel instead of static. I would recommend that management place a channel list or instructions near the remote, since I had to go into the TV settings to get it working.

This is not the hotel's fault, but just a heads up that my phone has absolutely NO service whatsoever inside my room. (AT&T.)

The WiFi does not work. My devices say they're connected with a strong signal, but I can't pull up even a simple Google search.

Staff seems friendly and efficient. The location is nice- very close to adorable Cambria and Hearst Castle, and within walking distance to a beach. Cayucos/Morro Bay are about 20-30 minutes away via a pleasant drive down Highway 1.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you're traveling by yourself or as a couple and if you're just looking for a decent place to rest your head.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 31 July 2014

In contrast to our previous hotel, the Best Western Beach Hotel , Monterey, this was delightful.
Helpful staff, clean facilities, very comfy beds, hot showers. It is on Route 1, which was fine as we were travelling from San Francisco to San Diego over 3 weeks. it is near Hearst Castle, which is interesting. there are some wineries nearby and quaint towns and villages. I would recommend it for a stay while exploring or travelling.

Room Tip: we had a first floor room, which we liked. it had a balcony and the windows opened well so the room...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We were driving along the coast and realized we would be needing a place near Hearst Castle the following morning. Due to it being a weekend during the summer we knew finding a place within our budget would be tough. Needless to say, it was impossible. Most places wanted $300+ a night in the general area, however this place was just over $200. We decided to reserve it as we drove.

Upon arrival I waited nearly 15 minutes waiting on 2 guests ahead of me. The staff didn't know what they were doing and were overwhelmed. A line of tired travelers quickly formed behind me and impatience was growing.

When it was finally my turn I got my key, paid, and went to the room. The room was basic in its furnishing, however it clearly showed it wear and tear, not to mention neglect of the overall facilities.

Toilet had a green ring around the flush button, carpet look dirty, and mattress was extremely soft. Pillows looked more like pillow cushions.

The following morning we looked at the rest of the hotel. Vending machines that did not work, breakfast room had milk stains on the cabinets, bird poop on sidewalks that had been there for weeks, cheap plastic chairs on the balconeys, etc.

Overall if it's your last option, take it. Otherwise there appears to be several other options in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is a well-maintained motel near Hearst Castle. We had a "garden view" room, which I generally don't expect to have much more than a couple flowers. The room had a sliding glass door which led to the pretty garden. This really gave the hotel a nice feel. The front desk (seemed like one couple runs this) was very nice and welcoming. The room was also equipped with a fridge and a microwave. The area surrounding the hotel, including Cambria, does not have fast food. So we ate one meal a day out and used our microwave to cook the other meal that day.

We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast in the morning (waffles, oatmeal, fruit, pastries, etc....). When the woman who runs the place saw our children she rushed off to find some hot chocolate packets just for them. The Jacuzzi/ Pool area was very nice. It would have been better if the pool was heated too since San Simeon is not known for its hot weather.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Cheryl S
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We arrived on our motorcycle from San Diego to a very happy and welcoming and accommodating staff. They quickly unclogged our drain and got our TV working. The free breakfast was typical Quality Inn with waffles and fresh fruit. The room was very clean and we got a great night sleep. No issues at all. We will stay again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CA_Blond_SFO
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We don't usually stay at the Quality Inn but we were in town for a wedding and they had a room block with decent rates so we booked a room. The room was spacious, clean and had a nice sliding glass door that you could open to let in the fresh air. The complimentary breakfast was great with plenty of offerings including fresh fruit and made to order omelettes, etc. They also have a nightly $2.00 barbecue out by the pool and offer free happy hour (beer & wine). The hotel was booked the whole time we were there and we were on the third floor (the top floor of this hotel). I would recommend booking the third floor if it's available so you don't have all the noise of people out around the pool in the evening. All in all, it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
#6 of 12 in Cambria
San Simeon Lodge
San Simeon Lodge
#2 of 10 in San Simeon

Been to Quality Inn San Simeon? Share your experiences!