“Good stay...great price”

Quality Inn San Simeon
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Reviewed 25 August 2014

The outside of the hotel is a little dated. I actually wanted to drive away. We were greeted by a sweet lady named Patricia. Our room was on the ground floor and to be honest, I wasn't expecting much. To our surprise we walked into a newly remodeled "huge" room. Clean and cozy. We only stayed one night and I wish we could have stayed longer. There was a nice pool area and jacuzzi. We didn't use it because it was so cold outside. We could have because it was heated to a nice temperature. There is a restaurant attached (which was very crowded). In the morning we headed to the complimentary breakfast. The same lady who greeted us, ran the breakfast buffet. Nice selection and everything was delicious.

1  Thank Matt R
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn San Simeon

Reviewed 15 August 2014

My fmaily and I came to the area for a short over-nighter for my mom's birthday. We LOVE San Simeon, Cambria, and Morrow Bay, so this was the perfect location for all of those. I had seen reviews online for this place and some of them were great, some were not so great. But we decided to give this place a shot anyway was it looked cute, was inexpensive, and was suited for all our needs. We arrived and it was cute, definitely perfect for a beach town. Patricia, the woman at the front desk who was most excellent the entire time, appointed us our room on the first floor over looking the outside area. It was a cute little two bed room, nice decorations and colors. The beds were super comfortable, the mini-fridge was perfect for our misc. snacks and drinks, and most appreciated, the bathroom was very clean! I work in a hotel myself in Los Gatos, and I know how important a clean bathroom and room are, and this room was lovely in that aspect! Breakfast was included, typicsl pastries, waffles, cereals; but it was so nicely presented and was all delicious. The dining area is a bit small, and there were a number of guests who were incredibly rude to Patricia when she was working like a champion to make sure everyone was being taken care of, so ask to eat outside if possible for more room. We ate by the pool and that was really nice. The only thing I would say that was a bit of a downside were the carpets being a little dirty, but honestly, that is totally something I could overlook because of how nice and comfortable the place was. Overall, this inn was perfect for what we needed, but what made it stand out to me was the customer service. Patricia was there from the time we checked in to the time we checked out. She always had a smile on her face, she was icredibly hard working, and she made us feel taken care. She is, in my mind, a huge asset to this inn and they are lucky to have her. Hotel business isn't always easy, as with msot jobs, but it takes a certain type of person to run a well maintained establishment with care, and Patricia does just that! Thank you, Patricia!! We will most definitely be back!

Room Tip: Outer facing rooms, if noise doesn't bother you, are nice because the upper floors have a view!
2  Thank bayarea1321
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My husband and I have not visited San Simeon since we were children so we decided to give it a try as adults. Talk about a sleepy beach town! Its a tiny little place with mostly hotels and restaurants, I don't recommend unless you are ok with spending majority of your time outside walking around. We personally loved it, everything outside is very well maintained! Beaches are very well cared for and all of the hotel properties look nice as well. We didn't get a chance to go up to Hurst Castle but I hear it is beautiful.

I was recommended to this hotel by several friends and I have to say we were pleasantly surprised.
1. It is small but very well maintained
2. Had a heated pool and spa (which was awesome after playing in the cold ocean all day) 3. ROOMS ARE CLEAN!! Which is my personal saving grace as a mother of a toddler who likes to inspect every inch of the floor.
3.The management staff are very personable, friendly and efficient. They not only filled my request to have a ground floor room but also let us check in an hour early so I could lay my son down for a nap! I was so impressed!
5.Breakfast was also my favorite part! It was a standard Continental Breakfast that you see with in Choice hotels, but they set it up very well and everything was great! Both my son and husband loved the waffles. I would recommend taking the breakfast back to your room though, their breakfast area can be a little cramped if there is a lot of people in the room with you.

The only small concerns some people might have is the entry way tile / carpet of the room and the beds.
1. I advise that you place a small towel on the floor for the tile, it is slick when wet.

2. The carpet areas coming in from the pool and in the rooms entry way needs a good shampoo. It leaves your feet dirty (Don't worry folks it washes off) Its was not bothersome to us, we understood; its a high traffic area and the hotel is still in high season. We stayed two nights and they were sold out for both, I'm sure they will give it a thorough cleaning when they find the time.

3. My husband and I own a tempurpudic mattress so we are a bit spoiled when it comes to beds, these are standard, firm mattresses with pillow top covers. To us, they were slightly uncomfortable BUT AGAIN we are used to a much more high end mattress.

4. Room doesn't have an AC unit: This is not uncommon on the coast but its kind of a pain when you happen to be there for a weekend of unexpected warm weather. We were not in the hotel much during the day but it was pretty humid at night. I wish we would have though to bring a small fan with us otherwise we still slept very sound.

All together we enjoyed our time spent there!

Room Tip: Bring a small fan with you if you like air circulation in the room. They do not have AC Units, only...
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Our first impression of the hotel was that it was run down and needed repairs. The rooms however, were clean and the staff was really nice. It was quiet and we were able to get a good nights sleep. The price was high ($200 a night), for what it was, but overall is was a good experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JoAnna F
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Overall, this hotel was better than I thought it would be.

The rooms look to have been updated recently, and look fairly decent. The room itself is clean, with the exception of the carpet/tile, which is in great need of a thorough shampoo/mopping. Wear flip flops or socks. The main room is a decent size.

The bathroom area is tiny, so I wouldn't recommend that more than two people share a room-if you're traveling as a family, it's going to be a tight squeeze. The water pressure is extremely poor. I have long, thick hair and it took me a looooonnnng time to get all of the shampoo/conditioner rinsed out.

The TV does have cable, but it took some finagling for me to get an actual channel instead of static. I would recommend that management place a channel list or instructions near the remote, since I had to go into the TV settings to get it working.

This is not the hotel's fault, but just a heads up that my phone has absolutely NO service whatsoever inside my room. (AT&T.)

The WiFi does not work. My devices say they're connected with a strong signal, but I can't pull up even a simple Google search.

Staff seems friendly and efficient. The location is nice- very close to adorable Cambria and Hearst Castle, and within walking distance to a beach. Cayucos/Morro Bay are about 20-30 minutes away via a pleasant drive down Highway 1.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you're traveling by yourself or as a couple and if you're just looking for a decent place to rest your head.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 31 July 2014

In contrast to our previous hotel, the Best Western Beach Hotel , Monterey, this was delightful.
Helpful staff, clean facilities, very comfy beds, hot showers. It is on Route 1, which was fine as we were travelling from San Francisco to San Diego over 3 weeks. it is near Hearst Castle, which is interesting. there are some wineries nearby and quaint towns and villages. I would recommend it for a stay while exploring or travelling.

Room Tip: we had a first floor room, which we liked. it had a balcony and the windows opened well so the room...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We were driving along the coast and realized we would be needing a place near Hearst Castle the following morning. Due to it being a weekend during the summer we knew finding a place within our budget would be tough. Needless to say, it was impossible. Most places wanted $300+ a night in the general area, however this place was just over $200. We decided to reserve it as we drove.

Upon arrival I waited nearly 15 minutes waiting on 2 guests ahead of me. The staff didn't know what they were doing and were overwhelmed. A line of tired travelers quickly formed behind me and impatience was growing.

When it was finally my turn I got my key, paid, and went to the room. The room was basic in its furnishing, however it clearly showed it wear and tear, not to mention neglect of the overall facilities.

Toilet had a green ring around the flush button, carpet look dirty, and mattress was extremely soft. Pillows looked more like pillow cushions.

The following morning we looked at the rest of the hotel. Vending machines that did not work, breakfast room had milk stains on the cabinets, bird poop on sidewalks that had been there for weeks, cheap plastic chairs on the balconeys, etc.

Overall if it's your last option, take it. Otherwise there appears to be several other options in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
#6 of 12 in Cambria
San Simeon Lodge
San Simeon Lodge
#2 of 10 in San Simeon

Been to Quality Inn San Simeon? Share your experiences!