“Fine for visiting Mexico”

Rodeway Inn San Ysidro
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in San Ysidro
Reviewed 6 May 2011

This property is a former Travelodge, refurbished and adapted somewhat as a Rodeway Inn. It's the closest US accommodation to Tijuana and if you don't intend to go there, there's no point staying at this motel.
Reception is tiny, there is no breakfast room and therefore "breakfast" is what's limited to what can fit on a shelf, namely coffee and muffins.
Reception staff were fine if busy. All were people who lived in Tijuana but worked in the US.
Rooms were small and the bathroom, although clean, was dark. Ventilation was poor. The limited power sockets were overloaded with too many appliances.
Noise was an issue. My room faced the rear of the property and the San Diego trolley ran right behind the parking lot. Corridors are all external.
There are plenty of food outlets near this motel and a short drive will take you to Denny's or the Americas mall. The I-850 freeway is close. The Mexican border is immediate.
I recommend it if you're going to spend time in Mexico. If not, there are plenty of places in San Diego which are nicer.

Room Tip: Stay here for Mexico
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank linds4516
Bipin A, Manager at Rodeway Inn San Ysidro, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2015

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your patronage.

Reviewed 1 November 2007

Stayed here during ComiCon because all the other hotels were overpriced. Terrible customer service. I walked into the lobby and the lady at the front desk was chatting with one of her friends (non-employee). As I stood there for 5-10min in front of her, looking at her now and again b/c I didn't want to be rude and stare at her, she continued to chat with her friend. Rooms were really basic. The room I stayed in had two double beds. I got into one of the beds and after 10mins or so, I started getting itchy on one of my legs. I looked at my leg and there was a red mark (bed bugs?). Anyways, I ended up sleeping on the other bed which was a little better. I wouldn't stay at this Travelodge again especially for $95 (tax included).

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank jshutterbug
Bipin A, Manager at Rodeway Inn San Ysidro, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2015

We understand that this is an older review, however we are no longer a Travelodge but we are now a Rodeway Inn and we have made many upgrades and changes an we invite you to return and check it out!

Reviewed 10 August 2007

I am not hard to please. I know this is a budge motel and I was not expecting much. We wanted to check out the Plaza Rio in Tijuana, and this is close to the border so we went with it.

Things immediately got off on the wrong foot, even before we left. I had made reservations on the Travelodge website two days prior, but before leaving Phoenix for San Diego I called to let them know we would be arriving late. The woman at the other end said they did not have my reservation. She offered to rebook the room, but said there was a chance I could be double charged. I gave her my confirmation number etc., but to no avail. I called the 800 number for the main reservation line, and had a very professional and nice woman help me. She called the motel while I was on hold, and supposedly everything was straightened out. But when I finally arrived in San Ysidro my reservation was still missing, and we had to go through the whole thing all over again. I am still worried I might be double charged. I guess I will find out when I get my credit card bill later this month.

The rooms here were not terrible, but very small even by Travelodge standards. You are close to the border as advertised, and the front of the building commands a very cool view of Tijuana, which is impressive at night. But everything closes at 10PM for miles around. I could not get pizza delivered or anything else, so bear that in mind if you get in late. I did not see any convenience stores close by either.

In all, I would rather have stayed further north. The trolley goes right to the border, so any hotel near the train line would have been just as good, and probably in a better area for restaurants and amenities. Maybe Chula Vista or National City would be better locations. Still, this was not a terrible place if you really must be within a couple of blocks of the border.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank fepatter
Bipin A, Manager at Rodeway Inn San Ysidro, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2015

We understand that this is old, however we have worked on upgrading and changing this hotel and we welcome you back for another stay.

Reviewed 24 August 2005

The only thing that made this stay Okay was the fact that we only paid $50, tax included.

This was because the night time manager suggested that we stop at Denny's to get a coupon from their FREE travel directory. This was great advise because it saved us about 20 bucks. Be aware that this is a Sunday thru Thursday deal.

The room was small, but clean. The blanket had a big tear in it, but it was summer and not needed.

Now the bad news. You you are staying in a room that faces the train tracks, be aware the the San Diego Trolley operates until 10:00 PM. Bells whistles and all. We were in room 411 on the top floor and when a neighboring guest turned on the shower, the sound of water through pipes drowned out the TV volume. When the shower wasn't on, we could clearly hear the conversations from the guest next door.

Stay further north is my advice.

Stayed: August 2005
4  Thank dcsjeeep

Thank you for the review, we understand that it is older and we have changed management and staff, come back any time to check us out!

A TripAdvisor Member
Clifornia
Reviewed 18 July 2005

If you plan to make a reservation call during the evening. Not only will you recieve far friendlier service, but a much better rate. The daytime front desk manager is rude and lazy. She will refuse to help with early check-in, late check-out, local info, or anything else for that matter. The rooms are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 August 2004

If your goal is to experience the Mexican culture and to stay as close to the border as possible, then this is the place for you. There are a lot of the basic fast food restaurants around, but the real draw is the distance to Tijuana. It is a short walk across the border and into Tijuanan loca and that makes the place worth the stay. The rates are certainly reasonable. Beyond that, what more can one say - it's a TraveLodge. It's clean enough and the staff is friendly enough. Nothing outstanding about it but the location. No horrible drawbacks, either.

• Stayed: March 2004, travelled on business
9  Thank Traveling Marco
A TripAdvisor Member
Barstow, CA
Reviewed 2 April 2004

March 26, 2004 $80 Reservation for Couple at the Travelodge in San Ysidro. When we arrived, we asked to see the room, before registering.
Julia, the manager, sent us up to a dirty, smelly (profanity omitted here) room that had not been cleaned. We asked for a alternate quiet room, but the North side of this Travelodge is located less than 100 feet from the Trolley Line, which runs all night, just like the bathroom sink. We were provided with 1 hand towel and 1 wash cloth (which we used on the dripping faucet). After morning shower, we had to use bedding to dry off, as NO bath towels were provided. The morning manager offered to move us to South side room, that has 24 hours a day of over 100 dB of I-5 freeway noise, NO Way JOSE'. Ruined an entire day looking for alternative motel. Recommend other travelers to this area: several motels located in Chula Vista (~2 blocks from Trolley Line direct access to Tijuana or San Diego) on "E Street" with several popular restaurants etc. There are no good motels in San Ysidro, I checked them all out personally. Ted Goodwin

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Best Western Americana Inn
#114 of 278 in San Diego
Motel 6 San Ysidro- San Diego- Border
#7 of 8 in San Ysidro

Been to Rodeway Inn San Ysidro? Share your experiences!