“Great Property”

Candlewood Suites Orange County/Airport
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Santa Ana
Reviewed 19 February 2013

This hotel meets and exceeds expectations. Comfortable rooms, bedding, nice amenities. Safe location close to dining and shopping options. Very friendly staff. This property is a very good value in Orange County.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank honesty59

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Had a reservation with another hotel which I admittedly messed up (booked the wrong date, and they were sold out for the correct night).

Booked with Candlewood Suites OC/Airport at 4pm, and arrived 45 minutes later to a welcoming staff and clean room.

The property appears to have been recently remodeled, and the resulting decor is stunning. From a business traveler's perspective, there's nothing better than pulling up to a clean, well-lit open parking lot with ample space.

I was offered a soda as soon as I checked in, and given loads of step-by-step information on how to make my stay more enjoyable.

The rooms are beautiful and feature a fully-stocked kitchen with long work/dining table, large flat-screen TVs in the living area and bedroom, modern furnishings and decor, and a calming overall ambiance.

Wi-Fi was free and lightning fast, HVAC was built-in (no ugly units hanging from the walls), and there was a fitness center/convenience store/laundry facility on site.

Downsides? The hotel wasn't always a non-smoking property, and my room smelled faintly of stale cigarette smoke. If possible, ask for a room on a floor which was always non-smoking. Availability during my last-minute trip was limited, so I took whatever I received.

Nothing is really within walking distance, and there's an eerie abandoned military base right across the street. I never felt unsafe, though, and with a car, the location is just fine.

For the value, I would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a room on a floor that has always been non-smoking.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 September 2012

So... I hate giving poor reviews of the Holiday Inn chain because mostly I get very lucky staying at the various iterations of the famed Priority Club (Staybridge, Holiday inn Express etc). True to form - the service of most of the staff was very good. Big smile, warm welcome. Upgraded me to a one bedroom. Followed my request for a quiet room. By themselves they could have been four stars. But the cold water tap in the bathroom sink didn't work. Only boiling water came out. I advised the evening front desk when I left for dinner who promised they would sort it out, and didn't. I got in late night, too tired to put up a fight with them, and yes, brushed my teeth in boiling water. Then slept in the queen bed which was the shortest queen bed I've ever slept in... I'm 6 2" and my feet hung off the end. In the morning, I brushed my teeth in the kitchen sink and hit my head on the low kitchen cabinets... thank you very much. So, the high reviews of the many other guests here-in aside, let me tell you. It wasn't good enough to justify the $100 odd bucks it was per night.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, IHGCare at Candlewood Suites Orange County/Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2012

Dear Alex B,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards Member and taking the time to write us a review. I am pleased that you found our staff service to be accommodating enough during your stay. I want to assure you we work very hard to ensure our facilities are superior and we strive to be the best Candlewood Suites around. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day, especially with the bathroom facilities.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance in the future to host you again.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 6 September 2012

This hotel had everything I needed to make my extended stay easy. I stayed in the hotel prior to moving into my apartment for 2 months. They have the nice little pantry to buy essentials and to borrow small kitchen appliances. Staff was great and the price was appropriate for an extended stay. I think I have found a new chain for my long term stays.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2012

After a horrific experience in Escondido, this place MORE than made up for it. They are incredibly pet friendly, was clean, spacious, accommodating, friendly. They are also located less than .25 miles from The District; a great dining and shopping experience. We'll definitely be back and refer this hotel. Our only issue was an ant infestation in the parking lot that spread to our car. KUDOS to Candlewood Suites!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We stayed two nights, very clean, friendly staff, location is good for trips to beach areas Newport, Hunington area. Shopping close with numerous restaurants. Great price . Will use again .

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a day on business. It is at good location, close to John Wayne airport and near a major shopping mall with many restaurants, shops and grocery store.
The room was very clean and has been recently renovated. The person at the reception was very helpful and courteous.
The Holiday Inn group must have hired a real good interior designer a couple of years ago and it shows because furniture, arrangement are really good in many of these chain-hotels now and not as bland as many other efficiency type hotels. I personally like the interior, it is above standard. The efficiency suite was well equipped, great value for the price The hotel has no pool, but laundry, fitness etc.and the A/C was one of the more noisy types, not a big problem in Cal though, but only 4 stars for that.
It is definitely great for a longer stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business