“Surprisingly Tolerable - but really at 2.5 not 3”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Orange County Airport
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Santa Ana
Bangkok
“Surprisingly Tolerable - but really at 2.5 not 3”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I was frustrated by a blind booking engine that placed me here as I do not think that this property is a 3.0 star EVER.

That being said -- I consider a star system on the basis of Luxuries and not cleanliness -- but it seems in modern parlance - it is meant to reflect good vs. bad or clean vs. dirty.

All said - this property was surprisingly tolerable. The bed was small but acceptable. The open area of the room nice and a large refrigerator. It was clearly a refinished room - I cannot speak for other rooms.

Prior reviews had my caution flags up for this property. Persons has references poor staffing, safety concerns, limited parking, etc. For my experience, the Staff were extremely polite at check-in and sufficiently polite at check-out.

The 1st floor room was not in a position near the pool that some might desire - but for us it constituted more noise and more limited privacy

Parking is tight at night which ads to stress -however the front desk re-assured me that it was not fully booked and that it would not likely be an issue --- Did I change my plans for my hotel? Yes I did. I came back earlier to avoid a potential parking issue.

In any case - I think its an acceptable 2.5 --- but that it should never be classified as a 3.0

Also - skip the free breakfast. Its free for a reason and a stretch to call it breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank B P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I'm delighted to be writing this review. I appreciated the intelligent design of the room and the courteous service. The placement of the refrigerator, sink, and microwave oven is exactly what I would want for a stay away from home. The hotel is located walking distance from a good restraunt and I found the spa relaxing at the end of day. I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Being a guest at this La Quinta Inn is a 3-D experience--it was Dirty, Depressing, and Disgusting. This is NOT a 3-star hotel; the rooms it offers are much more suitable to a cheap motel. Our room reeked of cigarette smoke. The carpeting was so dirty that my husband and I waited to take off our shoes until we were at the side of the bed. The "suite" they provide is merely a small foam sofa (with ripped upholstery and cigarette holes) and a chair--the single bed is on the other side of a small wall--not a separate room. There are no amenities provided except a bar of soap. We paid $100.+ for this room--we should have slept in our car instead. Save yourself the trouble of staying here. This La Quinta hotel is too dirty for families /children, and too depressing for any business person looking for an oasis to relax after a long day at work.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank goldink
California
Reviewed 19 August 2013

One night was simply awful, but we had trusted this to be a 3-star for 6 nights and it was horrible! The hotel -- the rooms, the grounds and walkways, the parking lot-- ALL was simply Filfthy! Filfthy! Filfthy!... and much of it was in disrepair! The walkway around the pool hadn't been swept in 6 days!

If this weren't enough, the dogs were everywhere. One man alone had FIVE DOGS that he walked morning, noon, and night. And, the smoking was terrible, too... especially terrible for a non-smoking hotel! ! ! Not in the rooms, apparently, but on the walkways, sitting on the chairs, you'd always find smokers...so many, that it was impossble to open one's windows.

Stay away from this one!

Room Tip: The lower floors were the kennels, but the scent of the dogs were everywhere.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael F
Bensenville, Illinois
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The staff was very friendly and offered information on places to visit locally to eat, etc. The location was good as well..super close to the 55.
The room, on the other hand, was only so- so. It looked pretty clean; but smelled bad of stale cigarette smoke. I did like that it had a working microwave and small fridge.
I am on the fence as whether I would consider staying there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Trendy updated rooms. Spacious and incredibly clean. Join their rewards program for speedy pre-check in and earn points quickiy. Central location as a base of my business in OC. Easy freeway access. Lots of parking, free. I prefer rooms on ground floor, often park directly in front of your room.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business