“Very good hotel but $15 parking fee is a bit excessive”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Santa Ana - Orange County Airport
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Santa Ana
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This is a very good hotel with a helpful front desk staff, nicely equipped fitness center, and a convenient location(within 3 miles) to popular places such as the Orange County airport, South Coast shopping plaza, and a wide variety of restaurants.

The guest room is a bit on the small side but is kept clean. The downside to this property is the $15 parking fee, which is excessive for a location such as this one. Luckily the room rates for this Doubletree are usually reasonable.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room to get a more spacious room.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Leadbelly98
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Santa Ana - Orange County Airport

Reviewed 9 December 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights for one of my BFFs' wedding. The wedding was taken place at this hotel. Honestly, living in Orange County for over 10 years, I didn't even know there's a hotel in this area. Since we've moved to OR/WA area recently, we had to book a hotel for that weekend. Because of bridesmaid's duties which would require me to be at the hotel by 5 AM, we opted to stay here instead of another hotel. I've never stayed at the Doubletree so I had no idea what to expect. Although I was told to expect chocolate chip cookies!

Honestly, it always boggles my mind why one chooses to be in the hospitality business if they don't understand what customer service means. We drove around in front of the hotel trying to find a parking spot or someone who works at the hotel to tell us where to go to park our car. No one was in front of the hotel, so we had to illegally park and we had to wait for awhile to finally find out that there's a parking below.

Check in was fast, so that's definitely appreciated, but what's with the unfriendly welcome? You're the first impression we get when we walk in, a bit of smile goes a long way. Over a few days, we did realize that that seemed to be the norm. No one was smiling, no one acknowledged you when you walked in/walked out, waited in the lobby; they glanced at you and looked away as soon as you caught their eyes. The funniest moment for me was probably when my friend, the bride, and the rest of us bridesmaids were waiting for our rides in the lobby, the desk people just hid behind their desks talking amongst themselves and shot glances at us once in a while. Okay, a "congratulations" to the bride to be may be nice, or even just a smile? The wedding is taking place at your hotel after all.

One incident worth mentioning left a very bad taste in my mouth. A lot of guests were flying in the day of the wedding. One of the bridesmaids had booked the room under her name and left a message w/ the front desk to allow her husband access to the room (she had checked in the day before). Due to bridesmaid's duties, she wasn't going to be around when the husband was going to arrive. She was promised there would be no problem. Apparently it was a problem. The husband and their baby couldn't access their room until we were back in the hotel that evening, hours later. They wouldn't give him a key despite providing his ID and whatever other info that was required. No one was willing to help besides the standard apology. Thankfully, they were able to bunk in their friend's room for a while or else he and the baby would be out in lobby for hours!

The room itself is decent, a normal size, typical business hotel. Bed was comfortable enough for a good night sleep although the walls are thin enough that I could hear neighbor's TV blasting late at night.

In room coffee is virtually undrinkable. Thank God for Starbucks near by (not in the hotel, you do have to drive).

The bride had a "suite" which I stayed in the night before. It's literarily just a two connecting rooms w/ one real bed and one pull out bed. I honestly wouldn't pay extra for this "suite."

Honestly, there's nothing spectacular about this hotel. We will opt for a different hotel when we are back in town again. The distance to SNA is probably the only plus here. Being a Hilton member doesn't give you any perks like some other hotels. And as much as I love chocolate chip cookies, they're not enough to make me want to come back.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2011

This hotel was secured through bidding on priceline. I wanted a hotel near disneyland but was priced out. I got this hotel as the best price for the star rating I chose. I stayed with a friend for a conference we attended at Disneyland. We stayed for three nights.

Pros:

We got cookies from the desk at check-in.

THe room was nice, adequately large and the beds were good.

The noise level was not a problem.

The hotel does have a good view from higher floors and I enjoyed the lights at night. This hotel does have a view of the 55 freeway so this is not a beach view but the lights at night are nice.

The bathroom was large enough for roommate situation. They had back of the door hooks for hanging clothes during shower.

We did get a cork screw from the bar without a problem.

The bar was a nice place for a drink and we did have one drink at the bar. There were other people in the bar area.

Parking was free when I went but this fact needs to be checked because it may not be free any longer.

This hotel has a jacuzzi. My friend used the jacuzzi and I did not. She enjoyed her jacuzzi.

Cons: I didn't like the lack of valet parking. This hotel has underground parking and parking out by the reception is limited.

This was a good conference hotel but I would not stay here for the location or amenities alone. I did not spend a significant amount of time at this hotel nor would I want to. The property has a pool and jacuzzi and bar but the grounds are all cement encased and this is more of a travelers stop on the way to some place more relaxing. This hotel is located in the heart of a metro area and there is some noise from the freeway and airport when you are outside. So, this is a travelers hotel but not a vacation spot.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We stayed for two nights at the Doubletree during the middle of October 2011. It was reasonably close to Disneyland and South Coast Plaza, so the location was ideal for our trip. It was recently renovated, so the hotel presented itself nicely. Our room was nice and roomy. The first night our room faced E MacArthur Blvd. It was noisy! You could hear each bus pull up to the nearby bus stop, hear the hydraulic mechanisms, and hear it accelerate away from the stop. You couldn't smell it, but you could imagine the smell of the fumes driving away. Our room was on the third floor. Also, our room's air conditioner fan had a constant chatter. When we complained to the front desk, they sent someone up, and he acknowledged that the fan was not functioning correctly. The next night they moved us across the hallway to a room overlooking the entrance and some small shops. Much quieter! They comp'd the first night, which we didn't even request.

All in all the accommodations were clean, and the staff were nice, and they listened to our complaints. I would consider staying there again in the future, but I would recommend that anyone staying there first register as an HHonors member. Internet access is free to HHonors guests, and I don't know what other benefits are offered to them.

The cookies at Doubletree did not disappoint.

Room Tip: Avoid E MacArthur side rooms. Register as HHonors guest
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Chose this facility for an overnight stay on points, primarily for SNA airport shuttle service. The lobby space was lively; had a wedding in progress complete with lion dancers. My room appeared recently updated, with modern decor and a very comfortable bed.

Having an early morning appointment, I "settled" for Bordeaux, the hotel restaurant. It was completely empty, so I wasn't expecting much. But my service was impeccable, the wine selection impressive, the chef met my off-menu request for a small side salad with an gourmet presentation of accessorized wild greens, and his sea bass was among the finest I've ever tasted. There may be lots of restaurants in the area - but for guests reluctant to walk, Bordeaux is a fine alternative!

Room Tip: I was on a high floor well away from elevators, my usual request.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
DianeAB, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Santa Ana - Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay with us in Santa Ana! I was delighted to learn of your terrific dining experience in our Bordeaux Restaurant and Wine Bar! I'll be sure to share your kind words with our culinary staff and servers!

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 29 September 2011

Have stayed here many times for business. Nice, clean, rooms with an occasional upgrade when available (premium status with HiltonHonors). Front desk staff is helpful. Parking is convenient.

Bar scene is excellent in the evenings. Food is better than average but there are a LOT of really nice places to go for dinner around the area. So if you are hotel-bound for any reason the bar-restaurant provide an excellent alternative for food.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a great hotel that is centrally located, this is a great place to stay. Bar i...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I stay here for a couple of days twice a year and it is a great place.

I normally fly into John Wayne airport, so the shuttle service is very convenient.
The staff at the reception was very helpful and check-in was smooth. As a HHoners member I get the free breakfast & internet which is great.

The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. During this stay I was on the second floor, so the view was nothing special.

Best part of this hotel is the Bourdeaux wine bar and especially the bar tender Theirry. When travelling alone or in a small group, it is a great place to enjoy an excellent glass of wine and some food. This is one of the reasons why I always come back to this place.

The breakfast in the restaurant is very good. I always go for the cooked to order omelet and fresh fruits. Good coffee and orange juice too.

Only point of attention is the elevator, which must be by far the slowest one in LA!

A great place to stay and highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business