“Nice but it has some flaws”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Santa Ana - Orange County Airport
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Santa Ana
Moorhead, Minnesota
“Nice but it has some flaws”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

It is a nice hotel with free parking underneath. The lobby has a big problem as they host many business events with large group. Typically, the large eveing crowd doing a reception would typically occupy the public space between the front lobby and the elevators to the rooms. We had to fight our way through very large and super noisy crowds to just get into our room and out to the front when we had to go out. It is a very unpleasant experiience. Otherwise, the room was very comfortable. The bed was great and the housekeeping and cleanliness was excellent. There is also a gourmet food court very near by and offer quite but excellent sit-down meals at very low cost.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kawidd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
FLA.
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Perfect hotel close to shopping, beaches and dining.Located in business area, so quiet and affordable on weekends.

• Stayed February 2012
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Many of us travel frequently, and really do not look forward the luck of the draw on hotel rooms, check in, unpacking and repacking. To many things can go wrong from the front desk to the air-conditioning!
BUT....There is hope Ladies and Gentlemen....what is everything went just right??!!! That was my experience at the DT Santa Ana. Starting with the right price, I pull in find the perfect parking, walk right into the lobby, my aching legs refreshed by a welcoming smile at the front desk, and a receptionist who cared! A room with a view, yes even in Santa Ana. The air-conditioning worked, the beds did not take a 24 hour period to get used to, the rooms were clean, and complimentary breakfast fresh, tasty and not the usual fare. WOW - Great job DT Santa Ana, I am coming back.

1 Thank Gl0balTraveller45
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I stayed at this Doubletree for one night prior to flying home to the East Coast. The hotel is very nice with comfortable rooms and a friendly staff. They have a convenient shuttle, which allowed me to return my rental car and get a ride back to the hotel. They took me to the airport the next morning. My only complaint was with the internet service. I could not get a signal either wireless or with the cable service. Apparently, there was a technical problem. It was available in the business center.

I am Hhonors gold so breakfast was included. The Doubletree offers a nice hot/cold buffet in its restaurant, which was nice before the long trip home.

2 Thank hbhakh
Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,025 helpful votes
Reviewed 17 January 2012

If you are in the area and want a clean comfortable place to stay this hotel is fine. It has no views and is not near anything but the airport and some of the major freeways which is all I needed. There are some great hotels in the area but for the price it is hard to beat this place. Good cookies at check in. Nice room with comfortable bed. Good internet service. Polite staff.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank arizonaac
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This is a very good hotel with a helpful front desk staff, nicely equipped fitness center, and a convenient location(within 3 miles) to popular places such as the Orange County airport, South Coast shopping plaza, and a wide variety of restaurants.

The guest room is a bit on the small side but is kept clean. The downside to this property is the $15 parking fee, which is excessive for a location such as this one. Luckily the room rates for this Doubletree are usually reasonable.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room to get a more spacious room.
2 Thank Leadbelly98
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights for one of my BFFs' wedding. The wedding was taken place at this hotel. Honestly, living in Orange County for over 10 years, I didn't even know there's a hotel in this area. Since we've moved to OR/WA area recently, we had to book a hotel for that weekend. Because of bridesmaid's duties which would require me to be at the hotel by 5 AM, we opted to stay here instead of another hotel. I've never stayed at the Doubletree so I had no idea what to expect. Although I was told to expect chocolate chip cookies!

Honestly, it always boggles my mind why one chooses to be in the hospitality business if they don't understand what customer service means. We drove around in front of the hotel trying to find a parking spot or someone who works at the hotel to tell us where to go to park our car. No one was in front of the hotel, so we had to illegally park and we had to wait for awhile to finally find out that there's a parking below.

Check in was fast, so that's definitely appreciated, but what's with the unfriendly welcome? You're the first impression we get when we walk in, a bit of smile goes a long way. Over a few days, we did realize that that seemed to be the norm. No one was smiling, no one acknowledged you when you walked in/walked out, waited in the lobby; they glanced at you and looked away as soon as you caught their eyes. The funniest moment for me was probably when my friend, the bride, and the rest of us bridesmaids were waiting for our rides in the lobby, the desk people just hid behind their desks talking amongst themselves and shot glances at us once in a while. Okay, a "congratulations" to the bride to be may be nice, or even just a smile? The wedding is taking place at your hotel after all.

One incident worth mentioning left a very bad taste in my mouth. A lot of guests were flying in the day of the wedding. One of the bridesmaids had booked the room under her name and left a message w/ the front desk to allow her husband access to the room (she had checked in the day before). Due to bridesmaid's duties, she wasn't going to be around when the husband was going to arrive. She was promised there would be no problem. Apparently it was a problem. The husband and their baby couldn't access their room until we were back in the hotel that evening, hours later. They wouldn't give him a key despite providing his ID and whatever other info that was required. No one was willing to help besides the standard apology. Thankfully, they were able to bunk in their friend's room for a while or else he and the baby would be out in lobby for hours!

The room itself is decent, a normal size, typical business hotel. Bed was comfortable enough for a good night sleep although the walls are thin enough that I could hear neighbor's TV blasting late at night.

In room coffee is virtually undrinkable. Thank God for Starbucks near by (not in the hotel, you do have to drive).

The bride had a "suite" which I stayed in the night before. It's literarily just a two connecting rooms w/ one real bed and one pull out bed. I honestly wouldn't pay extra for this "suite."

Honestly, there's nothing spectacular about this hotel. We will opt for a different hotel when we are back in town again. The distance to SNA is probably the only plus here. Being a Hilton member doesn't give you any perks like some other hotels. And as much as I love chocolate chip cookies, they're not enough to make me want to come back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Ana
DoubleTree Club by Hilton Orange County Airport
Holiday Inn Santa Ana-Orange County Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Santa Ana/Orange County Airport
Embassy Suites by Hilton Santa Ana Orange County Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Irvine / Orange County Airport
Best Western Plus Orange County Airport North

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Santa Ana - Orange County Airport? Share your experiences!