“Very nice hotel five minutes from the John Wayne/Orange County Airport”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Santa Ana - Orange County Airport
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Santa Ana
San Francisco, California
“Very nice hotel five minutes from the John Wayne/Orange County Airport”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

The hotel is very close to the John Wayne airport and is very easy to find. You would figure a hotel that is very close to the airport you would hear a lot of plane traffic. Interestingly, during my overnight stay, I never heard one plane.

We arrived at the hotel on Saturday May 5, at 5:00pm and the check in was quick and easy with a very friendly staff. When we arrived, there was a beautiful large wedding going on. It was kind of strange that the hotels main ballroom was right outside of the front desk. There were a lot of the wedding attendees out in the hotel lobby, so we had to maneuver around them to get to the elevators. They were very courteous and we had no problem moving through the crowd. I looked into the main ballroom and it was large and absolutely beautiful.

The hotel's hallway is very nice and clean with ample lighting. The room was also very clean and nicely appointed. The room has a nice bathroom with a granite counter top and a dark walnut counter. Nice Evelyn & Crabtree bath amenities. There's a flat screen TV and large work desk. The are more than enough electrical outlets which is great for the business traveler.

The bed, pillows, and comforter were extremely comfortable and I have to say it's one of the best I've slept in - in all of my travels.

Our room was facing the side where there was a lot of automobile traffic. I believe it was Main St as I could see Star Bucks and a couple of restaurants from our window. I'm a light sleeper, however the room is nicely insulated so you barely hear the traffic. Also the air conditioning unit is very quiet and I had no problem sleeping.

Contrary to what I mentioned about how nice it was to sleep in the room, an incident happened at 2:30am on Sunday May 6.

The hotel's emergency alarm system went off advising the guest to exit the hotel due to an emergency situation. We got up out of bed to exit the hotel and when we exited our room, there was a heavy smell of "weed" throughout the hallway. When we worked our way to the stairwell, a hotel employee advised it was a false alarm. We figured the weed smoking ...holes tripped the alarm. The alarm kept going on for about 20 minutes which was extremely annoying. At that point I was so upset I had rough time trying to get back to sleep, even with the wonderful bed I enjoying.

This incident wasn't the fault of the hotel, however at checkout, at least the front desk agents could have mentioned the incident and apologized for it.

Putting that incident aside, I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The hotel is well kept, very friendly employees, comfortable room, and close to the airport.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 1funkybassplayer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I stay at this hotel on a regular basis for business and really like it. Its location is good and they have plenty of parking. There are few restaurants across the street along with a Starbucks. They also have a restaurant which has a good breakfast and a bar area. The rooms are well kept and the service is good as well. The corner rooms are really great. The pricing is good and would recommend this hotel for both business and pleasure travel. Side note…there is a Doubletree Club hotel right down the street from this one and I would definitely pick this hotel over the Club hotel.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are really nice
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Stayed overnight for pleasure, and found our room waiting as reserved. There was a slight mix-up at check-in, but we are Hilton Gold Members so the issue was quickly rectified. Room was clean and comfortable, and the breakfast the next morning a welcome treat. If you are in Orange County for business, or pleasure, this property would be an good choice.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
SVaughn1
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The Doubletree OC Airport (MacArthur Blvd) is very convenient to the airport! Shuttle service prompt and efficient! Beautiful facility! Checkin was smooth and efficient - especially since I was early. Room was large, nice and clean. Very niced gym! Close to several restaurants (Rubino's and Thai and a creperie) and a Starbucks! We had a meeting in this facility - only needed a small conf. room - and it met our needs perfectly.

Staff was great - all were very friendly and professional! Would definitely return!

• Stayed April 2012
DianeAB, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Santa Ana - Orange County Airport, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Thank you for your positive comments about the hotel and your recent stay. I'm delighted that you found our staff friendly and helpful. We hope to welcome you back again soon! Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. Your comments will be shared with our staff. See you soon I hope!
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Recently booked 3 rooms as HHonors Gold and was given upgraded rooms to top (7th) floor. Even though most our party wasn't arriving until 10:30pm, they allowed me to come check-in early and set the rooms up. Very friendly and accommodating staff.

Rooms were clean and good-sized. My only complaint was that the walls or adjoining doors were not good at blocking sound. While in our rooms we had someone from the desk come ask us to quiet down, although I know for certain we were not overly loud. I also noticed that there were room service trays and trash remaining in the hallways outside the rooms for quite a few (6-7) hours.

The hotel is fairly small, and almost has a boutique feel. Breakfast in the morning at the Bordeaux was great and had very good food. (Although the hostess could have been a bit more friendly. I watched her and she seemed rather annoyed with guests when they came to eat.)

A couple minor things barred, all-in-all we had a great time. This will be our choice hotel for the future when we come this way for future meetings!

Room Tip: 5th-7th floors are "Executive Levels". If you can get a free bump to these rooms go for i...
Westlake Village, California
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I stayed one night at this very clean hotel in a great location for our wine business meetings in April. My room was spacious with one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in and it was immaculately clean with a nice view of the city from the 4th floor.

The little things make a big difference and I appreciate the famous warm cookie on arrival, the High Definition TV, and the compact Wolfgang Puck coffee maker that brewed a strong cup of java in the morning. I also appreciated that there was no charge to park my vehicle in the underground parking garage. Instead of fighting Friday traffic to drive 3 hours home I will continue to use this excellent hotel in the future and highly recommend it.

Chandler, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Most hotels that cater to business travelers include a free breakfast, free coffee in the lobby or eating area, and free Wi-Fi. Not this hotel. PAY, PAY, PAY for everything -- and it's overpriced. My husband and I won't stay at a Doubletree for business travel anytime soon.

1 Thank TLJ313