Hotel is located about a 5 minute drive from John Wayne airport and fairly easy to find. They also offer a shuttle service, but despite them claiming its on a 30min frequency, it appears to operate on more of an on-demand mode, so if you're at the airport and intend to use it to get to the hotel, give them a call and tell them you want a pick-up, it'll save you waiting for a bus that may not arrive.
Had a second floor room overlooking the side street (MacArthur Place) rather than MacArthur Blvd itself, but heard next to no traffic noise despite being on such a low floor. The room was nice and clean and with two double beds there was still room to easily move around the furniture. The bed was comfortable and the pillows seemed to range from firm to quite soft - not sure if this was intentional or just a fluke.
The on-site lounge and restaurant was a bit of a disappointment. The lounge bar is very small - you could probably flick a peanut the entire length of the bar and it'd still have a good head of speed when it reached the other end - there are also only a handful of tables so it fills up quite quickly. The restaurant occupies most of the area around the bar, and in the time I was there, there weren't more than a couple of people eating at any one time. The staff looked bored stiff having to cater to such a small number of customers. The same area also serves the breakfast and is far fuller during the morning rush. The food is reasonable, all be it distributed around three stations in the bar area and also the restaurant. They seemed to struggle to keep up with the demand for cooked food and the stations for scrambled egg, bacon and potato often seemed to be empty and weren't restocked particularly quickly.
There's no doubt the hotel is convenient for the airport and also has good access to roads that'll take you to the surrounding area. It's a reasonable hotel, but didn't really live up to the expectation given the other reviews it’s received on this site.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This Santa Ana hotel is six miles from Newport, Laguna, and Huntington beaches and offers complimentary shuttle between the hotel and John Wayne Airport. South Coast Plaza is only 2 miles away. Take advantage of the cosmopolitan pedestrian area surrounding the hotel. Dine in the plaza's elegant restaurants, and enjoy the valet parking and Concierge service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Santa Ana - Orange County Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree Hotel Santa Ana
- Doubletree Santa Ana
- Santa Ana Doubletree
- DoubleTree By Hilton Hotel Santa Ana - Orange County Airport CA