“Dele's Review”

Red Roof Inn Santa Ana
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Santa Ana
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The current General Manager (Patty) was very helpful and made my stay comfortable. Her Customer Service is excellent. The attention to Customer's concern and open door policy by this manager was very reassuring and heart warming.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Oladele I
i0226, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Santa Ana, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Oladele,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review to our property Red Roof Inn Santa Ana. I appreciate the positive review and comments you have made . We are glad we always make your stays heart warming to you. We always do our best to make our loyal guest feel like home.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I recently relocated to Orange County from Upland, CA. I'm a solo practitioner attorney with an office about a mile away from this particular hotel, but a lot of my time is spent in Northen CA. I'm still looking for the right place to lease long term and until then, when I'm in OC I stay in hotels a lot. I've stayed at this particular Red Roof Inn three separate times since August 2013. Many of the reviews in this site mention "seedy" characters and one mentioned a "weird vibe." These reviews are accurate. The hotel consists not only of a main two storey structure adjoining the office, but also four additional buildings directly west of the main structure. These are the long term units ($49.95), per day and it quickly becomes apparent to anyone staying at the main structure that there are a lot of low life "tweakers" staying in these units; hence the "weird vibe" one reviewer accurately described. My advice is to keep your door locked at all times and prepare yourself for the stench of cigarette smoke. Be prepared for weirdos at the pool area, which is directly adjacent to the long term buildings.

I find it interesting that just about every negative review on this site is responded to with a reply from "APC" who identifies his/herself as the manager. In fact, the REAL manager's name is Janet. (She's easily identifiable as she is approximately 4' 10") and it's reasonable to doubt that she is she is actually writing these replies. She is indifferent to guests and frequently rude. The rest of the front desk staff (especially Lupe) is clueless when it comes to earning loyalty from customers like myself who, if treated right, would gladly return. During my stay she charged me a $25 "late" fee because I was 30 minutes late paying for another night's stay, despite the fact that I had previously paid in cash, in advance, for the number of nights I originally anticipated staying. Apparently Lupe and other front desk personnel at Red Roof Inn Santa Ana have yet to learn that rules may always be waived, and sometimes it makes good business sense to do so. I will NOT be staying at this hotel again.

Additional caveats: The WiFi was extremely slow and frequently not working. Also, my "non-smoking" room was directly next door to a smoking room.

The ONLY positive thing I can say about this particular Red Roof Inn relates to the housekeepers. They were friendly and actually smiled! (Unlike manager Janet and other front desk personnel, who never smiled). I gladly left them generous tips for keeping my room clean, and replacing the bed sheets and shower towels. They were friendly, smiled at me, and were better representatives of Red Roof Inn Santa Ana then manager Janet and her staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Rex L
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Anyone has access to hallway because the "security" doors are kept unlocked. People who are not guests seem to meander about in buildings not near the lobby. Coffee is only after 6am because lobby door is locked - no coffee makers in room. Beds are AWFUL. Staff stores misc items and garbage by maid closet.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank thekelley16
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Moved back to Southern California for work, waiting for my residence to be finished ended up staying longer than I expected the Red Roof Inn and staff were great. Extremely helpful, clean, and comfortable. Staying at a hotel long term sucks, but the Red Roof was not bad at all. Easy centrally located. Rachel in particular was extremely helpful and went out of her way to help make my stay easier. Obviously very affordable as well, I would recommend highly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
i0226, Manager at Red Roof Inn Santa Ana, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear Mr.Fox
Thank you for taking your time to write a review about our property . I will sure let Rachel know about the nice compliments about her and what a great job she has done. I will love to meet you in person in your nex visit to Red Roof Inn Santa Ana Ca.

Sincerly Patricia Gonzalez

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I expected a cleaner looking place.

Check-in and out was average.

Glad I got a room with the exterior doors (but the room smelled without the air conditioner on)

Room seemed clean. The bed was good. Wi Fi was spotty. Very small room.

Seedy characters around.

Entryway to rooms with interior doors smelled bad.

Nice restaurant next door.

May stay elsewhere next trip to the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Steve D
i0226, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Santa Ana, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear Steve D.,
I do apologize for any inconvenience you encountered during your stay. I appreciate your honest comments regarding our hotel and we will use your comments to retrain our housekeeping staff so we can prevent this in the future.
We want our guests to be delighted with their stay and we value your opinion to help us improve. I hope to see you again in the near future.

Respectfully yours,
APC

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I just wanted to say that we had a great time at are stay at this hotel my wife and i love the room and had everything we needed even a coffee maker. And staff was sooo nice and helpful. I just wanted to take the time to say thank you Rachel for making are stay extra nice.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 17 July 2013

The Santa Ana Red Roof Inn is my #1 choice for a place to stay when I am in Orange County. The staff is consistent and remembers me from the front desk to the housekeeping department. Janet is at the front desk and has been with them 8 years and she is always pleasant and eager to serve the guests. Rachel was able to find me a room when I needed a last minute reservation for 5 nights on a holiday weekend even though the computer indicated otherwise. The upgraded room was top notch with a desk area, which was most convenient for my business endeavors. When a small grass fire broke out in a nearby area Rachel alerted all the guests as a precaution. Their manager, Miss Cholewinski, is to be complimented as she has assembled an efficient staff that functions in both routine and unforeseen situations.

Room Tip: King size rooms have the desk area.