“5ifty Forks a Well-kept Secret”
Review of 50 Forks

50 Forks
Ranked #118 of 727 Restaurants in Santa Ana
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 May 2013

A meal at 5ifty Forks is an event! As might be expected at a culinary school, the food is innovative and delicious and exquisitely presented. Sit at a table near the glass wall with a view into the kitchen, if you can snag it, and see where they make the magic. The only problem is deciding which dish to order!

Reviewed 17 May 2013

The excellent service, beautifully plated exquisitely delicious food, and the San Francisco style atmosphere won us over completely. For a gourmet restaurant, the portions were generous. The seafood was prepared perfectly, the vegetables unusually sweet and glazed and the chocolate caramel tart with malted chocolate ice cream was perhaps the best dessert I have ever eaten -- yum! My spouse's saffron citron ice cream was superb. I'm delighted to have found my new favorite restaurant -- perfect to impress friends at a reasonable price.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

I went to 50 Forks for lunch with a group of co-workers. I had the blackened chicken entree and it was very tasty, and my co-workers each enjoyed their meals, as well. The service and staff were exceptional and I would highly recommend this place for excellent gourmet food at a reasonable price.

Reviewed 15 September 2012 via mobile

Quite simply awesome! My hat goes off to Chef Colleen Johnson! The Rosemary pork was so moist and the potatoes were so creamy! I also loved their salad it stemmed like it was brought right in from the back garden. I will go back next week for sure but sit inside !

Reviewed 29 August 2012

We discovered this place while searching for a restaurant on restaurant.com. I would highly recommend purchasing a certificate from them, as it takes 25.00 off and makes you feel more inclined to try a bunch, rather than just one, of the amazing appetizers! Once we put in our order, our server (Chelsea? Stephanie? Sorry, I teach and as of Monday have about 60 new names in my head) even brought us a small bite to tide us over, a small dollop of a creamy crab concoction on a tiny piece of toast. Yum!

We started with three appetizers, two of which I did not try (creamed corn and sliders). My dining partner said they both were great and that he should have ordered another order of sliders to take home. We also shared the watermelon salad. What I envisioned as arugula with bits of watermelon was, in fact, huge slices of watermelon dusted with mint. It was very refreshing, but in hindsight, I probably would have enjoyed it more for dessert. Our server also gave us a crab cake for free, since she felt we were waiting a bit longer than usual for the order to arrive. I didn't think we were inconvenienced but gladly accepted the token with pleasure.

By the time our entrees arrived, we were already feeling like we could have walked away, as the portions are rather generous. I had the chicken with Israeli cous cous (I need to make more Israeli cous cous at home!) and my guy had the halibut. Neither of us finished our meals, but I can tell you the leftovers were just as delicious the next day.

Overall, service was great from both our server and the manager. The place had a decent vibe going on (as good as you can get, I guess, considering the restaurant is part of a school!), and parking was not an issue. The only reason I gave this place four starts is two-fold. First, and this is no real fault of the restaurant, they do not serve wine nor do they allow for outside wine. I'm a girl who likes a glass or two of wine with dinner. And somehow having that glass pre-dinner just doesn't work the same way. Second, there were a few things that could have been better conceptualized. I didn't get the Mexican sweet bread with dinner. It didn't harmonize for me. I was hoping for a hearty multi-grain, crusty bread or even sourdough. The cranberry sauce that accompanied the halibut also didn't make sense for me. Lastly, the watermelon salad was great but not what we expected. They are minor details for sure but ones that deserve mentioning, particularly considering this is a teaching restaurant and learning should be implicit.

Before you consider going here, make sure you call to find out their schedule. For example, our server said the last night they'll serve next month is Sept. 14th, which will be "Harvest night." The quarter ends that day so the restaurant will be closed for approximately a month, at which time it will open again to coincide with the start of the new quarter. I'm already planning a mid-October visit. :)