“Sad to see a once nice place slowly die over the years” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Motel 6 Irvine - Orange County Airport

Motel 6 Irvine - Orange County Airport
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Santa Ana
Las Vegas
“Sad to see a once nice place slowly die over the years”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

This is one of 8 motels just off of RT 55 at the Dyer Rd exit. There are about 6 others at adjacent exits too. It is also one of the oldest (the nearby Holiday Inn might be older). It's been affiliated with a variety of chains, going a step lower in grade with each change, and was a Red Roof before it became Motel 6. I stayed there many times when it was Red Roof. The rooms are larger than average, they have patios, and there is always ample parking with wide parking spaces. When Motel 6 took over, they raised the rates and the nearby Comfort Suites (their rooms are not really suites) was a better deal for about the same price with a free continental+ breakfast. Well the econopmy must be getting better because the Comfort had boosted rates for the summer so I decided to try this motel in its Motel 6 incarnation. The $35 a night difference betwen this and the Comfort could buy a very nice breakfast.

There are some noise issues with this motel. As others have mentioned it is almost directly below the landing pattern for the nearby airport and the planes are low and loud. Fortunately, the ariport does not operate betwen about 11PM and 7 AM. The other noise source is busy Dyer Road and the 55 itself. The motel has 3 wings and half the room are within a stone's throw of the freeway.

I arrived early, around 11:30 AM, and was told no rooms were clean (spoiler alert: I don't think any of the rooms are EVER clean). I gave them my reservation and name and asked that they save me a room near room 225 (second of the two floors and furthest away from Dyer Road and the 55). I arrived back at 4 and was told i had room 203! I asked for a different room and got 211, much better. You pay at check-in and you do not get an itemized receipt, just an indication of what you paid.

As I walked up the lobby steps to my room (there is an elevator I chose not to use) I was struck at how filthy the carpet on the steps was - virtually black in many areas. The hall carpet had many large stains. My room carpet had more spots than a dalmation. The sliding glass door to the patio has a light blocking plastic liner which had so many holes it looked like someone had hit it with a shotgun. At this point I'm not feeling good about my decision but I'm stuck for this trip.

Later when I use the sink I find long black hairs (at least they weren't short and curly). Now I'm wondering if anything in the room is properly clean. The amenities were peculiar. No alarm clock, shampoo, or tissues (used the spare roll of toilet paper as tissue) but I had a mini-fridge and microwave. I did not use the pool but it seemed nice.

Another reviewer mentioned "nearby restaurants" but this is true only if you count Del Taco and Carl's burgers. A decent restaurant is several miles away. There used to be a small, and bad, restaurant adjacent to the property years ago but was replaced by an ARCO gas station and mini-mart. This is the cheapest (by far) gas station in the area and I saw a few vagrants on their lot during my stay. It also is a noise source if you are near the front, like room 203.

So despite the big difference in price, the Comfort is still the place to be if you are on a budget and care about cleanliness. For a few bucks more than the Comfort, the Quality Suites has real suites, a made-to-order breakfast, and is a "best buy". If this Motel 6 were in Vegas, they'd blow it up.

I have to seriously question some reviewers of this place who claim clean rooms. They are either shills or stayed in a different wing of this disgusting place.

Room Tip: Cheapest gas in the area at the ARCO next door.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank swtraveler2
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Irvine - Orange County Airport, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Dear swtraveler2 - We apologize for the unpleasant stay you had as a result of the cleanliness and noise issues you encountered. The cleanliness conditions you found are not consistent with our standards for quality. We kindly encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

The one star is given only for the good service received from staff. Room given initially was dirty so we had to change rooms. They worked to find me another double bed. Offered a smoking room and a discount. Filthy dirty and smelled. So looked for another room. Finally we just took it. Smelled ok but carpet was dirty with blood stains. Comforter had cigarette holes. Will not come back.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Irvine - Orange County Airport, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Adam8888 - Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for the kind words about our staff. We sincerely apologize for the cleanliness and odor issues you encountered during your stay. These conditions are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6. Please contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
Las Vegas, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

Staff courteous.room clean and comfortable bed, lowest rate by the area.
Last year I spend 3 days and I decide no come back again, I am glad I did, no more hookers,professional and helpful employees.
Many restaurants nearby, fast taxi service, room large and with balcony.
Internet service slow but clerk refund my money.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank rachel a
Rockledge, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

This Motel 6 was quite nice in spring 2012, but upon return in autumn it had gone downhill and I left. It may have cleaned up since that time but my rating reflects an average review because of the change it seemed to have undergone.
My initial stay was very pleasant. The room was large and squeaky-clean with a king-sized bed and a nice TV, microwave & mini-fridge. The property was obviously acquired from another hotel chain, but very nice. The pool and hot-tub were well maintained and the parking lot had a few boxes near the building but was otherwise okay. Watching planes on their approach to nearby John Wayne Airport from the hot-tub was a serene experience, very peaceful. The gentleman who checked me in was courteous, efficient and professional and the lobby was impressively decorated and shiny. It was so nice I purposely returned to that location, even though it was a little out of my way.
Upon returning, however, I walked into a dusty, fingerprinted up lobby that smelled of both tobacco and marijuana smoke that had wafted in from the nearby rooms and was greeted with a smile at the front desk but told there were no non-smoking rooms available, and in fact no rooms available at all for the next few months, as there was apparently some sort of convention in the area that had booked them solid, long term. As I started to leave a little weary from the road I was approached by one of their guests, speaking perfect ebonics:
"Ya' okay?"
"I'm fine."
"You sure? I got somethin' that'll hep ya'!"
"No, uhh... I've gotta go."
"Well ookay, aih offered."
As I smelled the marijuana smoke and looked at the rooms with open doors on the way to the car I heard four people fighting amongst one another & left quickly. It's a shame if this property hasn't cleaned up well after that entourage took over. It had been a very nice establishment.

Room Tip: Rooms that are straight back, past the desk from the entrance are near the entrance to the pool/spa...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Anaheim, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

The rooms were clean and smelled fresh. The staff was friendly and very accommodating . The location was close to the shopping mall and had easy on/off to the 55 FWY. The motel 6 rates were great, front desk gave discounts to seniors. There are many restaurants nearby to choose from.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Erik N
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

Its a motel 6 so you don't expect much but this place is the low point of any stay. It looks fine from the outside but don't be fooled. Just because it's Cheap shouldn't mean its dirty, but in this case it was. The carpet was really cruddy, don't go in any of these motels without a pair of flip flops, but army boots would have been better for this one, I don't want to belabor the point stay away especially if you are traveling with children.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Lake Havadu
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

When we arrived late in the evening we didn't realize how filty and stained and worn out the carpet was. I pulled down the bedspread and the bottom sheet wasn't completely on the bed, bunched in the middle as though someone else had slept on it and it was never changed. Told the front desk and they handed me sheets to make my own bed. The next day I didn't get maid service or clean towels, when I called the front desk they told me they had a shortage of towels so I could come down to the front desk and get towels. When I stayed a third day, (I know I should have left after day one, but was without a vehicle) the manager took $20.00 off my bill. Whoopty-doo. That day we didn't get maid service until 5:30 in the evening, no clean towels or plastic cups or toilet paper. None of the maids speak english. It was a nightmare.

Room Tip: Don't go there.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business