“A little bit of everything”

Santa Barbara Museum of Art
Ranked #19 of 178 things to do in Santa Barbara
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum, founded in 1941, houses a prestigious and varied collection of modern and ancient art plus a special gallery for children.
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This is a small museum, easily added to a day's outing, with a respectable permanent collection of masterpieces from ancient to modern, and temporary exhibits are inevitably compelling.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

The Santa Barbara Museum of Art is, overall, very good. What was important for me was an enlightened photography policy which allowed it in several spaces. A spacious interior allows the art to be displayed well and, as you would expect in well stocked museum, some is to ones taste and some less so. I did not much care for having to check my bag but they did at least provide lockers and allow one to retain the key. The Divalo exhibition needed to be seen but could, for the most part, be swiftly dismissed. The photographer is, of course, allowed his disparate pet projects but should not necessarily be allowed the conceit of gallery space. Very little of his work really stood out whilst much of it fell into the 'its art because I say it is' category.

The museum cafe serves extraordinary food. Our two main courses were exceptional and a shared dessert very good. I would return for the food and whatever was on display at the time.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

If you like art at all, even in the slightest way, you will TOTALLY love it here! Don't know what else to do with your time! Not sure of what to do on a day?
This IS the place to go and enjoy!
Take your time and look around! It is simply a cool place to go! And you will be glad you went! Trust me!
Go & relax and have a good time! They do an awesome job there and the art is cool! Broaden your horizons, and GO!

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Intelligent information provided about the paintings and artists. The conceptual section from the 80's seemed out of place with the traditional paintings and I would rather have seen more work from local painters over Santa Barbara's history.

Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Only 3 rooms were open when we visited so my review is colored by that fact , the Asian room I found very poor , the 2 other rooms were pretty good, I'm sure when the whole museum is open it is much better than we found