We stayed here for two nights on our honeymoon tour of California. We were very impressed with the hotel all in all. It is a beautiful Victorian wooden building, with white picket fences and gorgeous gardens with tables and chairs and loungers etc. - understated luxury. We stayed in the main house, but you can also stay in little cottages in the grounds. The room was a decent size, with a nice comfortable bed. It is perhaps a tiny bit dated, but it sort of suits the place. The breakfast was excellent - and it was until 11am, so you didn't have to rush in the mornings. Also, they did a lovely complimentary wine and cheese hour in the early evening, and milk and oreo cookies later on. The staff were really helpful and accommodating - we had messed up our booking and booked for January instead of May (!), but they couldn't have been more forgiving and helpful. You can easily walk into town from here - a few blocks from the main street - and the town itself is very picturesque, with lots of lovely restaurants and bars, and a big long beach and pier. The hotel itself has a very nice looking restaurant attached to it. We didn't try it, but we heard from others it was good. Also worth noting there was plenty of car parking at the hotel. We could easily have stayed here for longer. We would highly recommend it to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Victorian treasure in the heart of downtown Santa Barbara, the Upham Hotel and Country House is the oldest continuously operating hotel in Santa Barbara, Southern California. Constructed of redwood with sweeping verandas, the 58-room 1871 landmark is surrounded by an acre of gardens and combines the intimacy of a bed and breakfast with the convenience of a full-service hotel and conference facility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Upham Hotel & Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Upham Hotel Santa Barbara
- Upham Santa Barbara
- Upham Hotel Santa Barbara