Overall the properties (main and country house) are pleasant and picturesque, as you would expect in the spring while in Santa Barbara. This is an historic hotel, as I understand it, the oldest continuously operating hotel in California. The main building is the oldest property (I think originally constructed in 1871), and you do see the impact of limited space and a lot of redesign work to fit modern conveniences into this rustic setting. Both the main building and the country house are of this era. Other surrounding buildings on the property used for rooms etc. are more modern.
We stayed at the country house property, in the Darcy room. This room is on the second floor and faces the mountains. It has a private balcony overlooking the front entrance of the house and a very nice view of the front garden. Other rooms in this house have various views of gardens (which were all well maintained) from either porch or balcony. Our balcony was pleasant, but did feel a little shakey at times with two full sized adults. Also, access to this balcony is via the bathroom so coordination may be required. Not so much more than using the whirlpool bath-tub/shower which looks directly out/in the open door to the balcony. The tub was very well used/beat. So much so, that we opted to forego it's use as a whirlpool. Too bad, as it was the deciding factor in choosing this property/room. I think if I were to stay here again, I would go with the penthouse. It has a much better view (western/sunset) and the bathroom is much nicer.
The included breakfast at the country house was nice. The young lady preparing baked goods an/or scrambled eggs did a nice job of adapting to our requests. Also, the aroma of baked breads with cinnamon wafting up through the stairways and into the rooms is a compelling call to rise.
Location is good if you are planning to shop-to-you-drop on State St. 2 blocks slightly uphill to State St. and then 10+ blocks of stores/shops/restaurants all the way downhill to the shoreline.
Overall the room itslef was acceptable, but really needs a deep cleaning. Closet doors and bathroom doors all showed excessive wear and dirt. As mentined, the tub was pretty beat too with cracks etc. showing around the drain. Dust under the end tables and bed accumulates pretty quickly when you leave windows open to capature the prevailing pleasant breezes. And with this corner of the building you have a very nice cross breeze from front to side windows.
Parking at the country house is in a small private drive area. It is pretty tight. If you have a larger vehicle spaces are limited.
We did not use the restaurant in the main buidling.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Victorian treasure in the heart of downtown Santa Barbara, the Upham Hotel and Country House is the oldest continuously operating hotel in Santa Barbara, Southern California. Constructed of redwood with sweeping verandas, the 58-room 1871 landmark is surrounded by an acre of gardens and combines the intimacy of a bed and breakfast with the convenience of a full-service hotel and conference facility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Upham Hotel & Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Upham Hotel Santa Barbara
- Upham Santa Barbara
- Upham Hotel Santa Barbara