We found this hotel quite by accident and we were very glad we did. It is the oldest continually operated hotel in Southern California and definitely harkens back to the days when hotels looked like homes and not huge boxes.
The rooms are located in several out buildings and surround a grassy courtyard. It does create an old timey and relaxed feel. Our room was had a private outdoor seating area with a table and a deck. It also had a water feature but it sounded more like a running facet versus a soothing brook so I found the power source and unplugged it. Sorry!
The breakfast is light but ample for a quick bite. The wine service at night is really fun as are the cookies and milk.
Parking can be a bit tight but it is free and the location, while certainly not scenic, is close to town.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Victorian treasure in the heart of downtown Santa Barbara, the Upham Hotel and Country House is the oldest continuously operating hotel in Santa Barbara, Southern California. Constructed of redwood with sweeping verandas, the 58-room 1871 landmark is surrounded by an acre of gardens and combines the intimacy of a bed and breakfast with the convenience of a full-service hotel and conference facility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your The Upham Hotel & Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Upham Hotel Santa Barbara
- Upham Santa Barbara
- Upham Hotel Santa Barbara