Only stay here in the Fall and Winter. I've had good experiences then. The staff is friendly and they have afternoon tea and wine. It's like staying at grandma's. However, Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT book in the Summer without confirming that your room has air conditioning! They do not have air conditioning and the thermostat (used for heat in the Winter) read 87 in our room in the Country House. 87 degrees! I still can't believe that was considered acceptable. I am 7 months pregnant and finding water was difficult as well. They brought us some fans, but all it did is blow hot air about. When we complained, they blamed US and asked if we had requested air conditioning. I'm sorry? I didn't know that your rooms got to almost 90 degrees at night, even when it's in the 70s outside and the windows are open. Be warned! But, like I said, it's lovely in the fall and winter so I can't give them less than 3-4 stars. Shame about the air conditioning!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Victorian treasure in the heart of downtown Santa Barbara, the Upham Hotel and Country House is the oldest continuously operating hotel in Santa Barbara, Southern California. Constructed of redwood with sweeping verandas, the 58-room 1871 landmark is surrounded by an acre of gardens and combines the intimacy of a bed and breakfast with the convenience of a full-service hotel and conference facility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Upham Hotel & Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Upham Hotel Santa Barbara
- Upham Santa Barbara
- Upham Hotel Santa Barbara