“Lovely Charm but room was bad”

The Upham Hotel & Country House
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 29 August 2005

This place definetely had a special charm to it that made me fall in love with it at first but we did have a problem with our room. But first the good things: it is a 2 minute walk to State Street, it has lovely gardens you can wander through and a wrap around porch that is adorable, the main building has big comfy couches and a fireplace they put on when it gets chilly at night and the staff seemed friendly.

We arrived at the Hotel at about 11pm, checked in and were very dissapointed with our room. We booked a Santa Barbara Queen (normally 225 - 185 with AAA discount) and it looked nothing like the picture on the website. We were in Room 25 in the Lincoln Building. The room was a lot smaller than it looked like it was online and there was no sofa in it like on the website. The bathroom was small and the furniture in the room looked old. The hotel was full so complaining was useless at that point but the next morning when we were on our way to breakfast we were annoyed to see that the rooms around us were much nicer than ours and bigger. Looked like our room was the only one not renovated. I'm not sure if we were given this room because we arrived too late and people switched out of that room or if they give the AAA people that bad rooms but I am writing them a letter and will post their response when I get it.

Despite my experience, the Upham property is very beautiful and a calming place to be. The breakfast area is also very cute as well as the afternoon wine and cheese. I'm interested to see the response to my letter.

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 24 August 2005

My boyfriend and I just spent three nights at the Upham and thought it was great. The buildings and gardens are really nice and there are several different places to relax and eat your breakfast or enjoy afternoon wine and cheese. We stayed in a King room in the Lincoln building. It was plenty big and the bed was super comfy. The room was oringally $249 on their website, but I called and ask for a dicounted rate, and they gave us he AAA rate. So, we paid $222. I could see how ground level rooms, especially in the cottages, could be a tad noisy because there are often people chatting in the common areas and gardens. Our room (#22) was on an upstairs corner so it was very quiet. The continental breakfast was slightly disappointing. The muffins and danishes were bland and didn't seem very fresh. Their restaurant (Louise's) serves lunch and dinner. It was always busy, and the menu looked great, but we never got a chance to eat there.
Overall, the Upham is great for a relaxing getaway. It is well located and has a nice B&B feel to it even though it is really more of an inn. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2005
4  Thank jzab
Reviewed 23 August 2005

I found the Upham Hotel to be exceptionally clean, the rooms were a little sparse and outdated but adequate. The bathroom was clean and large. The beds were comfortable. I thought the continental breakfast was good, although they did not offer a variety of breads only bagels. I thought for the money the rooms could have been a little more elegant. The staff was friendly and hospitable. The wine at night was a nice gesture. I searched for rooms all over Santa Barbara and the Upham was comparable with most of the hotels and motels in the Santa Barbara area. I would stay here again but the next time I would opt for one of the cottages. The grounds were quite lovely and well kept.

3  Thank Ronmedo1
Reviewed 12 April 2005

My husband I stayed the Upham April 8-10. We paid $257 ( auto club rate) for a "cottage" with fireplace and private patio. ( Room #40) . The room was nice but the private patio was next to a busy street so it was very noisy with car traffic although the view was blocked by a fence. The hotel grounds are beautiful but the landscaping around our private patio was less than lush. We were disappointed with the street noise and the patio. The noise could also be heard in the room. Also, the service was less than friendly. At most small inns we have stayed at the staff goes out of their way to say hello and share some small talk. Not at the Upham. I have stayed at chain hotels with a friendlier staff.

The continental breakfast was ample- scones, bagels, danish, fruit, ceral, hard boiled eggs, coffee, etc. The lobby and grounds were well maintained and enjoyable for sitting with a book or glass of wine.

The Upham is within a five minute walk of the top of State Street. To get to the busy shopping area you will have to walk five to ten minutes more. We also used our bicycles to ride down to Summerland and around the Harbor area. You would need a car to get to the harbor area without a bicycle.

At this point I am not sure if we will visit the Upham again. If we do we will certainly ask for a room away from the street. Most likely we will choose another hotel or bed and breakfast.

7  Thank Elizabeth L
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 18 February 2005

My girlfriend and I recently spent the weekend here and we very much enjoyed it! From the moment we pulled in the driveway, it felt like we were coming home. Walking to the front desk, we were welcomed with wonderful fragrances from the garden and we instantly relaxed. The concierge was very welcoming and upon request reccomended restaurants and provided maps to the vineyards north of town. We stayed in the Main Building in a Junior Suite with a king-size bed. We found it to be very pleasant and comfortable, almost like we were in our own bedroom! Great bedside reading lamps, soothing colors in the decor..I'm a stickler on things being very clean and I found the room to be impeccable, clean in every respect.
We also enjoyed our continental breakfast and coffee on the backporch in the morning. It was a great way to start the day! I would definitely stay here again, next time I think we'll try a garden cottage and see what that is like. We were able to get an Entertainment Discount, so be sure to mention it if you have one of those cards.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 12 July 2004

We were pleased with our stay at the Upham. We were in one of the "cottages" (small out-buildings with 4 rooms each). The room was clean and had a charming fireplace. Cozy down comforter on the queen size bed. The bathroom was nice if not luxurious. The room was very private with an entrance around the back through a little gate. The afternoon wine and cheese and night time oreo cookies were a nice touch. The continental breakfast was adequate with bagels, fruit, cereal, etc. The staff were friendly and helpful. The grounds were quite pretty and several guests enjoyed sitting on lawn chairs soaking up the perfect Santa Barbara weather. We would certainly stay at the Upham again. Good location in walking distance to many restaurants and shops on State Street.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Solvang, CA
Reviewed 4 June 2004

Had to be in Santa Barbara for a family wedding last month and ended up staying at the Upham for the weekend. I had never stayed there as we live close to town, and I must say it was a very nice surprise! It is conveniently located to town so that we did not have to worry about parking. Since most of the wedding festivities were in the area of the Hotel, this was one aggravation we did not have to deal with on a busy weekend! The entire staff was courteous, helpful, friendly and eager to share with us the history of the hotel. The morning breakfast was a delight with baked goods not store bought---a nice change from other hotels. Sitting out by the fountain near our room was wonderfully relaxing. Our room was spacious, clean and nicely appointed---and the housekeeping staff very courteous when we wanted to sleep in a bit after breakfast. We left with the promise to return when we need a quick get away. Would highly recommend this hotel!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member