This place definetely had a special charm to it that made me fall in love with it at first but we did have a problem with our room. But first the good things: it is a 2 minute walk to State Street, it has lovely gardens you can wander through and a wrap around porch that is adorable, the main building has big comfy couches and a fireplace they put on when it gets chilly at night and the staff seemed friendly.
We arrived at the Hotel at about 11pm, checked in and were very dissapointed with our room. We booked a Santa Barbara Queen (normally 225 - 185 with AAA discount) and it looked nothing like the picture on the website. We were in Room 25 in the Lincoln Building. The room was a lot smaller than it looked like it was online and there was no sofa in it like on the website. The bathroom was small and the furniture in the room looked old. The hotel was full so complaining was useless at that point but the next morning when we were on our way to breakfast we were annoyed to see that the rooms around us were much nicer than ours and bigger. Looked like our room was the only one not renovated. I'm not sure if we were given this room because we arrived too late and people switched out of that room or if they give the AAA people that bad rooms but I am writing them a letter and will post their response when I get it.
Despite my experience, the Upham property is very beautiful and a calming place to be. The breakfast area is also very cute as well as the afternoon wine and cheese. I'm interested to see the response to my letter.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Victorian treasure in the heart of downtown Santa Barbara, the Upham Hotel and Country House is the oldest continuously operating hotel in Santa Barbara, Southern California. Constructed of redwood with sweeping verandas, the 58-room 1871 landmark is surrounded by an acre of gardens and combines the intimacy of a bed and breakfast with the convenience of a full-service hotel and conference facility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Upham Hotel & Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Upham Hotel Santa Barbara
- Upham Santa Barbara
- Upham Hotel Santa Barbara